Recurrent miscarriage testing...

Discussion in 'Miscarriage Support' started by Jessa, Apr 25, 2009.

  1. Jessa

    Jessa Guest

    Well, some of you know my story, but I'll give a quick recap just in case....

    Hubby and I decided to start TTC last June. We got pregnant right away, but that ended in miscarriage at 7 weeks in August. We got pregnant again in October, but that ended in another miscarriage at 17 weeks (baby had died at 14 weeks) in February.

    Here's the thing:

    My Mom had lunch with a friend of hers today who is a nurse practitioner (a nurse with even more training - can prescribe drugs and stuff like a doctor). Anyway, she said that I would be eligible for testing since I've had two miscarriages and have never carried a baby to term. All I have to do is ask my family doctor to refer me to the clinic about an hour away from here and they'll get me in. It's covered by OHIP (Ontario health care system), so I wouldn't have to pay anything. She said that they probably wouldn't get me in right away since I'm younger (hubby and I are both 26), but I wouldn't have to wait too, too long.

    Here's my question:

    Would you do it? Do you think it's worth it at this point or could I assume that I've had a couple rounds of bad luck? I'm scared that if I decide to do it, they'll find something wrong and then I'll know that this will never happen for me. On the other hand, I'm scared that if I don't do it, there might have been something wrong that they could have fixed so it doesn't happen again.

    What do you think? Should I go for it?

    JASMAK Mom of three

    May 27, 2008
    Likes Received:
    I am Canadian too, and I have been diagnosed with recurrent miscarriage and secondary infertility. I would at the very least ask to see and OB/GYN - which is completely covered by health care. They can do all the tests and work-ups done by a fertility clinic, and even offer fertility drugs and treatments. If you OB/GYN refers you to a fertility clinic, then the initial visit is covered by health care.

    I think that you should go and try to get some tests done...blood work, HSG etc. I guess it depends on who you get and their view on when you should be tested etc.

    If you want more info, check out this post:

    and you can also read my diary which talks about what I have gone through this past year.
  3. todteach

    todteach Dreams can come true

    Jun 2, 2008
    Likes Received:
    I've just sent you a pm
  4. superp123

    superp123 Super Auntie to 3 + 1

    Mar 11, 2008
    Likes Received:
    Try not to think of the what if's... I think you should go in and get whatever you can tested. Look at it as being proactive. Learn what you can about yourself and DH and take it one step at a time, and move from there. Good luck. :hugs:
  5. Jessa

    Jessa Guest

    I talked about it with my hubby this morning and I think we've decided to ask for a referral for testing. I'm the type of person that likes to be in control of my surroundings. I know this is a process that I can't control, but I sort of feel that by going for testing, I'll be taking back some of the control. We'll see. I'll call my family doctor on Monday to make an appointment to talk to him about making the referral. Thanks!

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice