Reflux?? Anyones baby has it??

bickers

pregnant-2nd Trimester
Reaction score
hi my baby has reflux or so the doctors say... shes sick alot especially after her feed.. most of her bottle seems to cum back out without notice.. :wacko: and goes everywhere.. i feel soo sorry for her..

Does anybody elses baby have/had this and have any usefull tips to help here a bit or to calm it down at all.. she has got gaviscon to mix in her bottles so fingers crossed that might work... Thanks xx

I suspect our LO has a bit of a problem with reflux. Our doctor gave her caraway seed oil, so I'm hoping that'll help. Other then that, we bought her an incline pillow to keep her a bit elevated and after BF I try to keep her upright for a good 30 mins. Seems to have improved a bit, she doesn't spit so much...

hi thanks will try that..the gaviscvon seems to be helping a think.. she hasnt been sick as much... wot do u do with the oil?? hope ur lo grows out of it soon x

Alex has it VERY bad. Keep the cot elevated, hold LO upright for at least 20 mins after feed.

Add the Gaviscon to warm water or it wont dissolve correctly, it'll go clumpy.

If it doesn't improve, you can be given stuff to help. Gaviscon wasn;'t enough for our Alex so we have medication - one which helps digest the feed quicker and one to help any acid. This worked wonders.

Evie doesnt seem to have a problem with reflux yet, she just does the odd spit up, but nothing out of the ordinary.
My first born on the other hand had it real bad. She would projectile vomit an entire feed most of the time across the room so the doctor prescribed some stuff that he said would make the milk heavier and therefore more difficult to come up. I found that keeping her slightly elevated after a feed would often help, as would plenty of burping and variflow teats. It was 17 years ago and I know there are many bottles/teats out there now that can help with this problem (MAM ultivent are supposed to be excellent for reflux) but they werent available back then... the best I could get were variflow teats to help reduce the amount of air she was taking in.

Hope things work out for ya hun xXx

my doc wasnt sure whether ella had reflux or was just a greedy baby :lol: we got gaviscon tho and its worked wonders! if you're FF, try and keep her as upright as possible during feeds, and then for 20-30 mins afterwards, and also burp regularly during the feed.

i asked the doctor about different bottles and formulas and stuff, and she said she personally didnt think it made any difference. she used dr browns for 2 weeks with her daughter and gave up cos it was too much hassle cleaning them and made no difference!!

Riley has really bad reflux after 2 whole days (and nights!!) of constant screaming we took him to the hospital and it turned out that the gaviscon that he was on wasnt strong enough so now he's on Ranitidine and the both of them together are working wonders!! Maybe ask your doctor if you can try some? x

My last daughter has that reflux when she was a few weeks old. The doctor adviced me 3 things... 1. Change her milk 2. Get a thickener 3. Go on meds. As she was still very young at that time, I have chosen to go by the thickener. She sis respond well to that though she would still have the odd vomitting. It was very difficult but lucky enough, it stopped when she was around 7 months. I suggest you try the thickener first. It's Carobel thickener.:winkwink:

Halen has reflux and the gaviscon worked, but since I've eliminated diary from my diet (I'm BF) he doesn't even need that any more x

Finlay has it, we tried the gaviscon and that didn't work, so we're now on a different milk called neocate and his being referred to a pediatrician

Out of curiosity, what age can reflux develop? Would it be from birth or develop after a few weeks?

I think reflux is one of those things that can develop over time. Max has had his since birth, but his has changed from projectile vomiting, gagging, coughing etc. to acid reflux where he refuses feeds, screams through feeds and brings up acid fluid. You might also find that the vomiting type reflux can develop when their feeds get bigger and their little tummies are struggling to hold onto bigger feeds.

Feed thickener is usually enough, although as they get bigger and their feeds get bigger it's less effective, it's usually enough until they start weaning though!

I will say one thing though, if you suspect it's getting worse, speak to your doctors and make sure they listen to you. These past 3 months have been hell due to reflux and we're still struggling now to keep his food down and getting his medication into him.

Bryce has both silent reflux and acid reflux. Hes on Zantac for time being and it seems to be working for him a bit. He spits up but doenst spit up as much. Hes not as fussy and a much happier baby. He can breath now, befor he would be going to sleep or sleeping and gasp for air cus of the acid coming back up and scream. He has to be elevated to, he has to be upright after feeds to. We go back mid January for a check up to see his reflux status. He has to be on the meds till Valentines then we will reassess him. I felt so bad. I thought it was my breastmilk that done that to him, and I guess it wasnt. I stopped breastfeeding and put on formula and now I regret it. I should of taken him to doctors befor thinking I was the problem or colic was the problem. Oh well. hes much happier and so loving the formula.

OH I would suggest lowering her formula to about 4 ounces and adding a tablespoon of rice cereal. it will thicken it and add a base to the belly. I do that with Bryce and it works. He used to spit up 2-3 ounces out of 5 ounces. Now I give him 4 ounces and 3 at the least stays down.

Our babies will outgrow it, but about 12 months.

Out of curiosity, what age can reflux develop? Would it be from birth or develop after a few weeks?

very much like allergies, reflux can develop over time and it can be from birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->