Refused epidurals! Panic stations. . .

Girls, you get NO MEDALS for doing it with no pain relief. I only had gas&air for the last 2 hours and I absolutely regret it, I wish I had of had it before, or something else because it's PAINFUL being in labour. If you want an epidural, have one. I don't know anyone that hasn't asked for one at some point during their labour.

Anyway I cba to debate over it, all I will say is in relation to the OP, if you really want one then say you're not coping with the pain early on or they won't let you have one. Insist!

I am not trying to belittle anyone. Yes its true you don't get any medals for having no pain relief, but I felt it was an achievement, we spend 9 months making sure nothing is put into our bodies and then at the most crucial moment anything goes. I do not think if you have an epi you are wrong, but I was trying to give confidence to ladies who think just because they have a low threshold they cant do it naturally. And to compare it to the birthing pool is absurd, there are no side effects of the birthing pool. My reasons for not wanting an epi were the possible side effects. That's why most midwifes encourage ladies to explore other options before having an epi, which you could find work for you

I had an epidural before I was even induced last time, and I don't regret it one bit.... My labour was super quick at 4 hours, with no intervention, complications or stitches needed.

I'm glad I opted for an epidural.... I don't do well with pain and I don't see the need to feel the pain :shrug:

Apart from shocking antenatal care, being able to request an elective epidural was part of the reason we paid to have our daughter privately.... And is also the reason we've opted to go private again.

I can see why the nhs would want to avoid giving epidurals as there may be further intervention and complications... And at the end of the day, there's a huge pressure for wards to cut down on costs.

I've read a lot on here about the costings to the NHS for epidurals. Has anyone ever missed a hospital appt, got a prescription although they could have got the same thing over the counter or had to go to A&E after a few too many ???. The costings of these abuses of the NHS systems are far FAR greater than an on call anaesthetist or the prescription of an epidural to a woman who mentally & physically needs one.
Granted, depending on circumstance not everyone who wants one can get one, but according to the national scottish framework on maternity services .. " NHS Trusts should promote effective partnership between women and professionals to make sure that care providers do not exert undue influence to direct the pathway of care" and "NHS Trusts should make sure that each woman is given full information about the choices of location available for the birth of her baby should she choose epidural anaesthesia for pain relief during childbirth". This is standard practice and has been since 2001, and should be followed by your local NHS trust delivery unit.

i dont really no what to say hun tbh i just didnt want to read and run. i had an epidural with my son and tbh i wouldnt recomend one BUT i do believe that it is a mums choice to have one if she wants one!! it slowed my labour rite down so im hoping to not have one this time. all i can say is speak to ur midwife and see what she says next time u go in and explain how disstressd this is making u! i asked for mine and was given it within 15mins! i was lucky i also no some ladies that had to wait hours for theres. i hope u get one hun and i hope u manage to sort something out good luck x

i took epidural after 10 hours in labour and dr gave me because i was 4 cm for 10 hours and dilation was slow...after taking epidural with in half an hour i got 10 cm..and it helped me....but different ladies have different experiences...i would say try to avoid till end and if its necessary just go for it..

I definitely don't think it's my right to have one. I just know it is available across the board in most hospitals in the UK and my primary concern by raising this thread was because these women have been denied it. I don't doubt the possibility that I may feel it's perfectly manageable and tolerable to plod thru birth with gas and air and even have to do diamorph etc but what I'm concerned about is that i have yet to find one single mummy from about 40 odd people I've met who HAVE had an epidural at this hospital. It scares me. Not because I feel incapable or because I demand one but encase I need the safety blanket of knowing it's an option. In the back of my mind I started to wonder, 'what the heck do they do about spinals for c-section candidates then??' that's simply melodramatic but you can see why my train of thought went that way! Och at the end of the day, it's going to happen regardless of what pain relief or lack thereof is available but its the whole sense of what support is given in your birthing environment.

I also agree that there are no medals for all-natural births nor do I intact think it's praisable or commendable infact. A baby born with a mother who takes pain relief still makes it into the world somehow the same way as a baby born with a mother who did not take pain relief. Its like university degrees. A person who passed with a's and b's gets the same degree as the person who scored c's and d's. It's all about street cred....or perhaps i should say ward cred for some mums. I'm not ashamed to ask for pain reliefor be worried about the fact I may not get it. It's not my right no, but it's nice to know then option is there :) xx

This thread is really interesting. I'm going to share my thoughts although I'm sure some will disagree.

I was really shocked to read that cost is a factor giving epidurals in some cases/locations. I live in the US and pay an insanse amount of money out of my paycheck every week to have health insurance coverage and I am fine with that because I truly do have excellent coverage. I had 4 sonograms by the time I was 14 weeks (2 scheduled, 1 when they couldn't find the heartbeat via doppler, 1 when I had some bleeding, all right then and there in the office). The care I have received so far has been amazing and the piece of mind it has given me through my pregnancy I can not put a price on that. I am very grateful to have the option to choose a health care plan right for me, it's quite costly but in the end I wouldn't have it any other way. So when I hear cost being brought up as a factor it truly appalls me. It is my right to have pain relief as I pay for my healthcare coverage and pay into the federal healthcare (medicaid) system for others.
As far as if it's safe and the risk of complications goes, I chose an OBGYN doctor that I have the upmost confidence in. I rely on her to make the calls as to what's safe or not as she attended medical school and I did not. She has been amazing and gives me choices and options with no judgement. My birthing plan is compiled of my decisions based on the education I have received from my doctor.
I realize that it's very different in other countries and maybe more limiting than what I am used to but in the end if a woman WANTS pain relief, there should be no judgement. No one should have an epidural forced on them just as no one should be judged or denied one if they want it. Medicine has come so far in the last hundred years, it's insane to imply that someone should do something old fashioned (against their will) just because it was done that way before. Everyone should be able to choose the way they want to bring their baby into world and be supported by for their decision as we are all doing the same wonderful thing, becoming mothers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->