Regular spotting not linked to luteal phase defect?

pink_kitty

Reaction score
Hi Ladies!! I'm kinda confused. I regularly spot during the tww beginning anywhere from 7-9 dpo. Last summer I had my progesterone levels checked a week after o and it was great - like in the 40s! The next day I started my usual spotting. I've had an hsg and it was clear. FS has put me on a progesterone supplement (prometrium) last cycle which only delayed the spotting for like a day. She increased the dosage for this cycle (currently waiting to o). I'm a bit confused...if my progesterone level was in the 40s and I still spot, is it actually a luteal phase defect? :shrug:

Does anyone else regularly spot after o but it isn't connected to a luteal phase defect?

Have they checked for cervical erosion/ectropian? It's where some cells from inside the cervix grow on the outside and are very prone to bleeding. Many have bleeding after sex or pap smear and some people, like me, get spotting or bleeding with hormonal changes. Mine starts up at least a week before af. I never had my progesterone checked, but have a typical 14 day luteal phase. I also had this before conceiving dd (although it wasn't this bad) and had no issues conceiving her. Not sure if it is your issue, but worth looking into! Btw, it is totally benign, just annoying!

Thank you so much for your reply!! :flower:

I hadn't heard of cervical erosion/ectropian before. I'm going to google it!!! My spotting starts the same as yours - one week before af and then lasts until af...sometimes it can stop for a day before af fully starts. Maybe this is it!!! :happydance:

How were you diagnosed? What kind of tests did you have?

I am sooo hopeful now!

That's usually exactly what mine does. ALthough the past few months it is starting right after ovulation- maybe from dtd trying to conceive. Mine started a few years ago. I had a LEEP procedure done to get rid of cervical dysplasia and started spotting a few days before my period after that. I made an appt with the dr at 13 dpo so he could see what it was, and I happened to be pg already. At that point he said he could see a "friable cervix" I think that is the same thing. He said it was sensitive and was going to bleed if I just looked at it wrong. Had a bunch of bleeding in my pregnancy that they could not find where it was coming from. Maybe because my cervix was high and closed they couldn't see it? ANyway, pregnancy and delivery went fine, but after pregnancy I went back to the dr and told him I was still bleeding randomly. He was doing a pap smear and took a look (no big procedure was needed, he was able to see it while doing a normal pap) and said he saw the ectropian. He said it wasn't bad and didn't even bleed with the pap, but I told him I bleed a lot right at the same time every month and he said that it can be set off by hormones. it finally made sense to me as progesterone is at it's highest on day 7 dpo and that is when mine typically starts to bleed, and then calms down right before AF. I do worry that all this bleeding affects fertility, but I keep reminding myself that I got pg with it the first time! It stopped right when AF was supposed to start and then AF didn't come. Sorry for the long post, but I'm really hoping it's what you have as I know what it's like not having answers, and it's something totally benign and doesn't need to be treated. My dr said he can treat it, but would rather wait until I am done having children as the treatment can sometimes affect the cervix (not so much fertility, but carrying a baby to term) Just keep in mind that if you do have it you may have a lot of random little bleeds during pregnancy- esp in the first trimester. I was a total wreck thinking I was miscarrying every week. Let me know if you get any answers!!

You have been so much help!!! :hugs:

The dr hasn't mentioned it on the results of any paps, but I did have to do a 2nd pap last summer because there was some bleeding mixed in with the sample in the 1st one. At the time the dr didn't think much of it and just said maybe I had some sort of infection or something. Hm...maybe it is from this! And it would make sense since my progesterone level is so high at 7dpo which is usually when I start spotting!

Thank you again!!! I'll continue to take the progesterone supps FS gave me (I think she forgot how high my 7dpo levels are!) just in case, but at least this cycle I won't totally give up on my bfp when I start spotting. :yipee:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->