Reintroducing solids after gastroenteritis

staceylou

Mummy and pregnant w/no2
Reaction score
Hi ladies

My LO (7mo) got gastro 2 weeks ago today, which lasted a week or so, and loose poos up until 3 days ago (didnt go at all yest, and this mornings was almost back to normal)
I stopped her solids because she was barely even drinking her milk to begin with. She's back on her milk now, or near enough as much anyway, but her solids are a problem. I was previously feeding her porridge for breakfast and some sort of puree for evening meal and about to cut another bottle and add lunch too. I've been trying to get a small amount of porridge in her a few times in the last week and she just throws it back up. The first time was proper vomiting, and the next 2 times have been just like when she brings up a bit of milk but its her food, just 3 hours later. Around 2 tablespoons worth so mixed with milk as well. What im asking is, is this normal?? Is her stomach just sensitive still? I want to get her back onto her solids soon because shes started waking in the night for milk so shes obviously hungry, I think??. Should I just keep trying every day? Sorry, I sound so clueless :-(
Thanks ladies xx

Mash some banana with some of her milk, plain toast (if she can eat that ok), rice. These usually help boy after tummy bugs, he's had a fe bad cases now!

I'd start with he mushed banana thin it as much as u need with milk. Go off her lead if she can't manage try again the next day. Also full fat natural yoghurt ... It has all those friendly bugs in.

Thanks, will do the banana. She just sucks on toast so that probably wont help. Will get some of the yoghurt too. Just want our routine back lol, and a full nights sleep!!
I know she will get back to normal, but i'm impatient! xx

My lo had the mother of all vomiting bugs at 9 months. She ended up in hospital overnight on a drip because she wouldnt stop vomiting, and afterwards she couldnt keep anything down for days. She had to take anti-nausea medication 3x a day in order to keep her milk down and not end up in hospital again. Anyway, the dr advised me to stop all solids and just keep going with milk feeds for 3 days to give her stomach a rest. He said that even if the bug is gone, the stomach will still be irritated and extra sensitive. Then to reintroduce very little at a time because if the stomach expands, there was a reflex that would make her puke so just a spoonful every few minutes. And to start with very plain food like a veggie puree. Nothing fatty and no milk products apart from her normal milk (though this may have been because she had diarrhoea too?).

Hope your lo gets better soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->