Relactating? Feasible?

suzan

Reaction score
I always think if I could be able to relactate somehow. I tried a couple of times, but my son would refuse to latch. It's been 2 months since we switched to the formula because I had supply issues, post partum depression (which is still going) and didnt have the support to get me thru this. I also was taking Reglan, which helped my supply, which made depression even WORSE, so my OB told me to stop it ASAP bec it causes depression. I searched for Fenugreek, but couldnt find it anywhere here. I also ate outmeal in the morning, to help, but dont know how much they helped. Also, I started eating healthier, so it affected my supply even more. :cry:

The times that I tried to put my son on breast was heartbreaking. He felt weird, and wouldnt take it in any way! He kindda looked disgusted, I dont know, maybe bec he recognizes things more now, dont know.

If I want to try, what should I begin with? Pump a million of times? I dont own a pump, so I would take into consideration buying one. So since he wont latch, it will be expressing milk all the time, right?

Advices, please?

:hug:

It is possible but it's a massive commitment and i imagine at your stage and with everything else it may well be very stressful for you.

I dont know how long it was before Toria started getting back to BFing but maybe she will be along with some advice.....you could also read Rafwife's Relactation Journal. x

I cant find the journal? Could you help me, Lisa? where can I find it?

Here it is. :hugs:

https://www.babyandbump.com/breastfeeding/86070-re-lactation-journal-sorts-update-pg-8-a.html

I'm sure Toria will talk to you about her experiences too.

I'm not saying you shouldnt try if you really want to but just think about it first - I'd hate it to put unecessary pressure on you when you are feeling fragile anyway.

It's something I dont know lots about but if you do decide to go for it then of course I'll be here with my pom-poms cheering you along xxx

Thanks a lot. I will go and read thru it and google more about it. Will think about it and if not, then I should stop beating myself from it!

You should never beat yourself up for being a fabulous mummy!!! You do a great job already so please remember that xxx

Here's a little bit of reading for you....at least you can chew it over if you like and if nothing else I think it makes for interesting reading xx

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html

You can do it, the le leche league site has alot of good info... You can take Domperidon (sp?) fenugreek, blessed thistle and some other herbs to helps. You need to pump or have the baby suckle every 2-3 hours round the clock and it can take several weeks to get any milk.

People do do it successfully, as well adoptive mothers are able to lactate too! It takes a huge commitment.

Goodluck!

I did it hun so definately feasable! PM me if I can help at all x

I did it hun so definately feasable! PM me if I can help at all x

Oooh another person to ask! :happydance:

How old was your baby when you re/started BFing?? Do you have a hot tip??

I'm always in awe of you girls - I know how hard it was for me to stop topping up and get back to exclusive BFing and it was only 10 days in!

:D Well done BTW x

Good luck babes. I hope that, if you decide to go for it, you are succesful. Don't beat yourself up though, if it isn't possible. You're a wonderful mummy already!:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->