Requesting reduced hours?

Peggy80

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to do, sorry this is a bit of an essay :flower:

I had my first day back at work yesterday.

I had said throughout my pregnancy that I didn't really want to work full time, my manager wouldn't really have a proper conversation with me about it as she said I wouldn't know how I was going to feel when the time came.

My idea then was to do a 3 day week, normal 9-5 day.

I went in whilst on maternity leave to have a catch up and said this is what I wanted to do, and I didn't mind if that meant me having to drop down a grade, to which she said that as they really wanted me back she would accommodate me.

The next time I went in she had obviously actually spoken to hr about it and said that she needed someone in my role full time, and it's come from above that all line managers must work full time (even though there are others in the directorate who don't) and that if I requested reduced hours then she would have to go through the process of advertising my position for the other 2 days a week which they would unlikely be able to recruit, (it's quite a specific role) and she had no monies to create a lower graded role for me as well as she still needs someone in my role.

So at that point I kind of thought well maybe I'll just go back full time until I have my next LO. So started back yesterday and using leave to just do a 3 day week until Jan. then will be back full time.

Well after yesterday I don't think I will cope. I have dogs to walk before work and had to get up at 5 am to be able to get to work on time, by lunchtime I had a massive headache, and was in tears when I got home as I do not cope well being tired.

So now I'm thinking it would work best to do something like a 25 hour week over the 5 days and do 9:30-15:00. But from what my manager said it doesn't sound like this will be an option. Do you think I should have another chat with her and actually put in an application so at least I get a definite no, or should I just look for another job?

If I do put in an application to reduce my hours I need to put what impact it will have and how I can lessen that impact, and I don't know what to put, or if it will make any difference anyway!

Hi there,

I put in a request to reduce my hours at my old job (I got a promotion on maternity leave with my old company) but definitely put in your request In writing or using the correct forms for your company. It's not really applying for reduced hours if you've just asked as everything needs to be evidenced.

At least then if they say no then they need valid reasons and there is a time frame for getting your answer/response.

I had to do the same thing; impact on business, colleagues and how I would minimalise these impacts.

Have a think about your job - will it mean others have a higher work load because you're not there? Will the business not have the only person to do that Job there if you're off a few days a week? What impact does that have?

For mine it was others would have a higher workload and that I wouldn't be able to help facilitate with the delivery of group work so again I'd miss out on learning new things. I also put I'd miss out on any meetings that were happening on the days I was off and any training that was happening.

To minimalise the impact you need to think of things like....can you be flexible if given enough notice? Such as attending meetings on the days you're not due in if you have, say two weeks notice? What are the options if you're the only person in that position in your company and you're not in? Could you set up a pigeon hole or email service for people to contact you If you're not in and you could reply the next day?

It's hard to give exact examples as I'm not sure of your job, but you need to be thinking of ways around possible downsides that the company might say.

You should have a meeting then to discuss your request (that's what I had after I filled in the forms). They did grant mine, minus a Tuesday afternoon that I'd requested because they said I needed to be in to facilitate the groups but they were really accommodating.

I think it's dependent upon your career though and the type of work you do, remember the company are usually business focused so think about those issues when you're filling in your form.

If they say no then look for another job, I'd do the form first though....you don't want to be applying for a new job if they were going to say yes to the hours you wanted!

It might be better doing more days and less hours per day though? That way you're available all the time but for a shorter period of time if that makes sense, so like you discussed working 9-3 what about 9-1 every day or something? I don't know though, it's you're circumstances etc :)

Also try not to panic too much, it was only your first day back so things will be different and difficult because you have to get into a whole new routine. Give yourself some time to get back into the swing of things, it's not going to happen over night. It took me at least a month to get back into work with everything else on top that you have to get done, it's not easy but you do sort yourself into a routine

Xx

Thanks for your reply, some good helpful pointers in there around the form.
I had my second day back today, and it was a little better so like you say hopefully it will get better once I'm more in the swing of things and not running around like a headless chicken in the morning!
I have requested a meeting with my manager when she is back off leave so going to discuss reduced hours, and I think I am going to request fewer hours over the 5 days, as then I am available to staff everyday, just only until a certain point.
Wish me luck!!

I remember you from the overdue threads! How is your LO?

I'm glad your second day was better, it's complete madness trying to get everything sorted In the morning. I've started literally getting everything ready the night before; all my clothes on the bannister so I literally just put them on and even Los in her room (right down from her nappy to socks!)

It takes a little while to get there, but I'd definitely still have your meeting. I think you're being very flexible, and make sure they know that! Good luck!

Oh my gosh, overdue seems sooooooooo long ago now!! My lo is good thanks, she's one next month eeekkkk scary stuff!! How about you?

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->