Research into preconception vitamins and the miscarriage increased risk?

kitty2385

Pregnant with Baby #2!
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this? According to this study in this article (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2546477/Taking-multivitamins-raise-risk-miscarriage-Mothers-likely-lose-baby-taking-supplements-six-weeks-conception.html) miscarriage risk rises by 32% for women who take preconception multi-vitamins! I am totally shocked and appauled at this and wondered if anyone has looked into it any futher? Just want to add that this doesnt include folic acid on its own, just multivitamins x

Although the authors couldn’t find a reason for the trend, they were able to rule out links with obesity, smoking, poverty, previous miscarriage or difficulty in conceiving.
Professor Lucilla Poston, head of the Division of Women’s Health at King’s College, London, urged women not to panic.
She said: ‘It is critical that the data are not interpreted as evidence against current recommendations for folate supplementation.
‘The authors rightly recommend that further studies are needed. In the meantime, supplements should be taken in accordance with current clinical guidelines.’

This is the important bit.

This is a bit scary... although I will take it with a grain of salt.
I wonder if the risk could be linked to a certain brand or additive, or maybe too much of one vitamin or mineral? Hope there is a follow-up study

Personally i wouldn't believe anything printed by the Daily Mail

If you google it you can find the study in some medical journals, so its not just in the daily mail x

Do you mean prenatal when you say pre conception? But I hardly believe this to be true. Any nutrients your body doesn't need, you expel through urinating. Though vitamin C I believe? Can be harmful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->