returning to work? is it worth it?!

Discussion in 'Work & Finance' started by WhiteGeisha, Jan 25, 2011.

1. WhiteGeisha

WhiteGeisha Well-Known Member

Hey ladies

I'm a single mum currently on maternity leave until end of July.

Currently, I take home more on SMP, WTC, CTC & CB than when I worked full time. Crazy isn't it!

I already know I don't want to go back full time until LO goes to school. My question is: how many hours would I need to work to still qualify for help. I only earnt £15,500 FT.

Is it 16hrs or could I do even less than that. I'm thinking more 10 hrs. Bearing in mind there will be childcare costs. My work so a scheme for childcare vouchers but they are salary sacrifice and I think you have to earn/work so much to get them.

I want to decide asap as I want to put in my request for less hrs if it will be in my interest to continue to work x

2. littleblonde

littleblonde kacey and sophie

Child benefit and working tax credits and housing benefit are all going down in april,So dont no how that is going to effect things. There are lots of changed coming in

3. emsiee

emsiee Mum of 2

I would wait a few more months. Wait until April until you know whats what. I dont think anyone knows whats best at the moment :flower: