Reusable cotton pads?

BabyCleo

New mama to Lily-Grace
Reaction score
Im assuming this is the best place to put this question.

I have severely sensitive skin, so anything I use is plant based, organic and only scented with essential oils. I also try to live with no chemicals so its a win win lol.

Anyway, my skin is so sensitive even "down there" that when I wear pads, I get a bad irritation. I was in tears post partum - I had to smother Vaseline on my lady bits cause they were so irritated from the pads. I cant do tampons... ill end up with a yeast infection from them and it hurts like hell cause I get irritated up there too.

Im trying out cotton organic pads from The Honest Company, but if they don't work im considering buying reusable cotton cloth pads. For some reason I feel weird about it... but I cloth diaper, so whats the difference? poop vs blood? lol.

Does anyone use reusable cotton pads? If you do can you tell me if you like them or if they are hard to wash etc? Or just advice for me so I don't feel so weird about this? lol.

Thanks! <3

Hi there! :wave:

I've been using cloth pads for a few years now and I really love it. I got the organic un-dyed ones from glad rags. I love everything about them. They're cute and not unsightly at all. You button them together so they stay on your panties instead of being attached with sticky stuff, you can customize the absorbency depending on what you need by using inserts, they're so soft and don't irritate. I also like that because they're cotton, it feels as natural as wearing underwear (that happens to be padded enough to prevent bleeding through) and not some weird plasticky thing. I've used them when traveling and when out and about and have never had a problem. To clean them, you can either put them straight in the wash or soak them in a pot/bucket with water first. I add a little hydrogen peroxide and it lifts the stains out before I wash. :)

Thank you so much! that's wonderful to hear.

Im using organic at the moment and its still an issue. It seems better... but not great. Im very familiar with the wet pail as I use that for my LO cloth diapers, so I can just buy another for the bathroom when im on AF.

Thank you, you've convinced me to try them!! :)

I love my reusable pads. I was the same as you with disposables. I've been using them for years. I've bought them off etsy, all handmade. There are a variety of styles, colors, sizes, and materials. I would definitely say make sure you get pads with wings, because just liners (no wings) will slip around. I've also heard to avoid PUL which is a plastic like water proof layer than can decrease breathability and cause irritation for some women. I have cotton, bamboo, and fleece. None have given me any problems, and none have ever leaked. We are also being kinder to the environment!
Cloth pads are the reason it came so naturally to me that we would use cloth diapers. If my skin is sensitive, my daughters may be as well. And working in daycare I've seen my fair share of horrendous diaper rashes that could probably be prevented buy taking a more natural approach.

Thank you! Yes, we stay away from PUL as well, even with my LO cloth diaper covers. It's nasty stuff! I'm glad you like them.

I found a set for $60 that is organic cotton, for 10 reg, 5 maxi and 5 thin. They also come with a wetbag. I'm assuming baking soda would prevent smell and stains?

I have considered cloth pads, but I really prefer my cup. It is silicone and causes no irritation, it is internal so there is no irritation from wet skin, etc.

I was also miserable post part um, I bled for 5 weeks and I got irritated even from liners.

I've used cotton reusable menstrual pads which really helps in reducing the menstrual cramps, infections and skin rashes.

I LOVE my cloth pads!!!! and they are SOOOOO easy to make if you cant buy them! an old fleece blanket for the back, old cloth diaper or towel for insides and old tshirt for top- done!

I have ordered from quite a few places but there are facebook groups too and you just have to look around!

Love this thread. Trying to get away from as much disposability as possible! Didn't even think about cloth pads but always wondered if there was an alternative to tampons

OnEarth thank you for the tip I have so much fabric from old clothes lying around

Love this thread. Trying to get away from as much disposability as possible! Didn't even think about cloth pads but always wondered if there was an alternative to tampons

OnEarth thank you for the tip I have so much fabric from old clothes lying around

yep!
backers: courdoroy, fleece, pul, cotton, flannel, wool
insides: old diapers, towels, cotton, pul, flannel, zorb
top: cotton, velour, flannel, minky, jersey.

1. take an old disposable pad and trace around it, adding seam allowance.
  2. sew core/insides to topper wrong side
  3. put topper and backer right sides together- make sure you PIN WELL before sewing!!!
  4. Then stitch or serge around but leave about 1in opening.
  5. Using the hole, turn the pad inside out (or in this case right side out, lol)
  6. Then to close the hole, youll need to sew all the way around your pad.

Done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"