Reusable Sanitary Towels

MrsC10

Mummy
Reaction score
Hi ladies.

Since having my little people I have been unable to wear tampons and have had to make do with Sanitary Towels. Apart from being expensive, they're not exactly environmentally friendly. I've looked into and tried menstrual cups, but they don't work for me either so I've started looking into reusable sanitary pads.
Is there anyone who currently uses these that can tell me their experience of them?
Which ones did you find best?
Do I need to purchase more than one size/kind?
How long can you wear them?
Are they easy to clean?
Do they have any cons at all?

Thanks you! xx

I've used them for years and wouldn't go back. They are less irritant, softer against the skin, less sweaty, and seemed to give me a lesser blood flow and cramps than the reusables.
You can buy them from various places online and some people even swap mildly used ones on groups a bit like the nappy groups. They can be washed on a hot wash so it's fine really to use pre used ones.
I have some panty liner ones, some medium flow ones for the beginning of my period, heavy ones for my heavy days and some overnight ones (quite large but very absorbent) for heavy days overnight.
I tend to change them as often as I would have the resuables.
After use I store them in a waterproof cloth bag in the bathroom (they snap closed blood inwards) and each night I put them in my machine on a rinse wash to remove the worst of the blood (about 20 minute cycle) and then the next day they go on a full long wash with whatever other clothes need doing.
I tend to hang mine in the airing cupboard to dry but the line is good too and can help keep them bright.

I've used them for years and wouldn't go back. They are less irritant, softer against the skin, less sweaty, and seemed to give me a lesser blood flow and cramps than the reusables.
You can buy them from various places online and some people even swap mildly used ones on groups a bit like the nappy groups. They can be washed on a hot wash so it's fine really to use pre used ones.
I have some panty liner ones, some medium flow ones for the beginning of my period, heavy ones for my heavy days and some overnight ones (quite large but very absorbent) for heavy days overnight.
I tend to change them as often as I would have the resuables.
After use I store them in a waterproof cloth bag in the bathroom (they snap closed blood inwards) and each night I put them in my machine on a rinse wash to remove the worst of the blood (about 20 minute cycle) and then the next day they go on a full long wash with whatever other clothes need doing.
I tend to hang mine in the airing cupboard to dry but the line is good too and can help keep them bright.

Thanks for your reply. Really interesting.
Did you find there was much variance in price or are they all pretty similar? Did you try many brands out before you settled on the ones you used or was there something that you liked about the ones you use such as material that made you go for them?

Sorry for all the questions. I'd like to get as much info as possible before I take the plunge.

I have a lot of them and a lot of different brands BUT i stick to the same or similar materials when buying. I personally LOVE velour. Its like a cloud for my bits. I change as often as i would sposies. I put them in a wetbag and wash with other laundry as normal. No stains or issues. I also prefer ones with snaps and longer. My dd1 has her cycle and wears them too. For price it matters on length, materials and absorbancy. A panty liner wont cost as much as a 18 inch post partum pad.

I cant think of any cons.

Prices can vary and some of it is trial and error as to what you prefer to use. They vary in length as well as width. I tend to prefer medium length ones but you may need to buy a couple and see how you get on. I love all the designs and pretty patterns :)

Thank you for your replies. I did loads of research and settled for Luna reuseable ones. I got medium and For lighter days, panty liner ones. My periods aren’t ridiculously heavy and all the reviews said that the medium dealt with quite heavy flow so I settled on that.
Not the cheapest outgoing, but I’ll be saving incredible amounts in the long run and sending less to landfill.
They’re in the wash just now, but looking forward to giving them a go.
Thanks again for your input. It really helped xx

Thank you for your replies. I did loads of research and settled for Luna reuseable ones. I got medium and For lighter days, panty liner ones. My periods aren’t ridiculously heavy and all the reviews said that the medium dealt with quite heavy flow so I settled on that.
Not the cheapest outgoing, but I’ll be saving incredible amounts in the long run and sending less to landfill.
They’re in the wash just now, but looking forward to giving them a go.
Thanks again for your input. It really helped xx
I hope you love them like I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"