reusable wipes

rose_ginger

Reaction score
Does anyone use these? I already have the bumgenius nappies and figured it's probably not that much more work to throw wipes in the wash too. I was looking at https://www.cheekywipes.com/, but apparently it's cheaper if you do it yourself? What solutions did people use, and where's a good place to get the essential oils/ wipes from? I was thinking of just cutting up an old towel and stitching around the edges.

thanks in advance!

use water, or chamomile tea if your LO is prone to nappy rash, it needs changing every day, the water you can change once a week if u add a few drops of tea tree oil :D

oh and you might be better off with fleece as its softer, towels can get a bit rough

x

I found this in my search for wipe solutions:
https://www.zany-zebra.com/cloth-wipe-solution.shtml
I think I'll be going to the fabric store and buying something suitable for making my own. That and a few tupperware containers for home and travel seems more or less all you need.

I do, i have bout 30 fleece wipes, they are ace, can also double up as liners.

All i do is wet them before i use them.

V xxx

i have a combination of wipes that i use i have some from Wee Notions, some Cotton Babies which are the BumGenius ones some Ellas house courtesy of my lovely Secret Santa and some that i made myself out of terry toweling, fleece, cotton and an old bathrobe!!LOL

i tend to use the WN, Cotton Bubs and Ellas house for wee's and after the worst of the poo's been wiped off
and the ones i made are my Poo wipes - the terry is really good for getting the poo all off and i made them quite a bit bigger than all my other wipes so they are great for poo!

i got my wipe solution recipie from a website - cant remembe which now but its basically water, oil, baby wash and tea tree oil or lavendar oil. i make up solution once a week and fill water bottles with the sports cap and just squirt it onto the wipes when i need them. some people use a tupperware dish and fill it with solution and soak the wipes in it but it can go a bit off in te summer that way....just whatever works for you :shrug:

sara

xxxxxxxxxxxx

ooh that sports bottle sounds a good idea, i use a spray bottle and it takes so bloody long to wet it enough hahaha

x

thanks for the replies! Making up the solution once a week sounds ok. I think I would have to have a tupperware container with presoaked wipes as I would need to make it easy as possible to get my husband onboard! That link for recipes was really good too! I found this website https://www.freshskin.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=39 and you can get 100ml lavender for about £7! So much cheaper than those tiny bottles at holland and barrett!

I made my own. Bought a pack of 4 cotton terry tea towels from Primark (about £3), cut each into 4 equal pieces, cut pieces of an old Ikea fleece throw to the same size as the towelling pieces and stitched them together, right sides out, with blanket stitch. The cotton frays a tiny bit but nothing major and it's easier and softer than sewing right sides together and turning out.

For a wipe solution, I have used a mixture of baby wash, water and olive oil (recipe found online) but now I usually use plain hot water. Adam likes the hot towel when I change him. I only use these for cleaning poo, for wees I use a square of plain fleece or a disposable wipe (we have them as OH prefer them for wees, he will use cloth on the poos, it's so much cleaner as they're pretty big and AE's poos are still very runny). I sometimes put a tiny bit of baby wash on (we have Little Me Organic lavender stuff and Weleda something as well), not neat, I squirt a drop and then wring the whole cloth in the hot water.

They wash great, in with the nappies, and have saved me god knows how much in baby wipes already. I made 8 and have never run out.

i have a combination of wipes that i use i have some from Wee Notions, some Cotton Babies which are the BumGenius ones some Ellas house courtesy of my lovely Secret Santa and some that i made myself out of terry toweling, fleece, cotton and an old bathrobe!!LOL

i tend to use the WN, Cotton Bubs and Ellas house for wee's and after the worst of the poo's been wiped off
and the ones i made are my Poo wipes - the terry is really good for getting the poo all off and i made them quite a bit bigger than all my other wipes so they are great for poo!

i got my wipe solution recipie from a website - cant remembe which now but its basically water, oil, baby wash and tea tree oil or lavendar oil. i make up solution once a week and fill water bottles with the sports cap and just squirt it onto the wipes when i need them. some people use a tupperware dish and fill it with solution and soak the wipes in it but it can go a bit off in te summer that way....just whatever works for you :shrug:

sara

xxxxxxxxxxxx

what are the ellas house ones like? I just looked them up online and it seems you get a lucky dip of wipes when you order (so you don't know if they are fleece or flannal etc). Are they double sided or a single piece of fabric?

The weenotions seem to be mostly double sided fleece and velour. Do you use the velour side to wipe or is it decoration only?

thanks! Sorry to pick your brain!

ooh just found out u can use lavender oil when pregnant, i normally use tea tree oil but lavender is just as good as an antibacterial :happydance:

x

can i just say aswell, for if your gna make ur own, it might be an idea to zizag all around your material before you stitch them together, actually i didnt bother straight stitching them at all, just zigzagged all around holding my terry and my fleece piece together, that makes sure they dont fray, if u have a serger even better obviously but if you dont zigzag works nearly as well :D

x

can i just say aswell, for if your gna make ur own, it might be an idea to zizag all around your material before you stitch them together, actually i didnt bother straight stitching them at all, just zigzagged all around holding my terry and my fleece piece together, that makes sure they dont fray, if u have a serger even better obviously but if you dont zigzag works nearly as well :D

x

I don't have a proper overlocking machine (thats the same as a serger, right?), but my sewing machine comes with an overlocking foot, so I think I can go around the edges with that. I wasn't sure if the cotton I normally use would be sturdy enough, but I don't think anything thicker would fit in the needle. Can you buy needles with bigger holes for stronger thread? (as you can probably tell, I am quite new to this sewing malarky!)

sara

xxxxxxxxxxxx

what are the ellas house ones like? I just looked them up online and it seems you get a lucky dip of wipes when you order (so you don't know if they are fleece or flannal etc). Are they double sided or a single piece of fabric?

The weenotions seem to be mostly double sided fleece and velour. Do you use the velour side to wipe or is it decoration only?

thanks! Sorry to pick your brain!

the Ellas house ones are lovely and soft, one side is fleecy and the other is a little like fleece but more absorbent, so i put my solution on that side and use that side to wipe and the other to polish lol they are double sided and lovely and thick :D

My WN are double sided velour and cotton - i got the limited edition create your own jobies!! they are really nice - i tend to use he cotton side to wet as it soaks the liquid then the velour after that to dry etc. if i am using th WN for pooes (usually if i'm out) i will use the Velour side as the cotton tends to just skim over the poo if that makes sense?? - thats why i prefer terry or something like that for pooes - cleap or old face cloths will do a great job for pooes :)

no need to apologise hun:)

sara

xxxxxx

yeh its an overlocker, you dont need stronger thread, i used normal cheapy polyester cotton from the market :thumbup:

x

I love my reusable wipes - I find them wayyyy better than the disposable ones. I just wet them and have a spray bottle of diluted Dr.Bronners soap & essential oil (tea tree) or else I just use water.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"