• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Revealing pregnancy at work?

Pers

Reaction score
So I am 25+3 today and still haven't told work. There are a very few who know but thus far my pregnancy has remained a secret. My belly is definitely bigger but due to what I wear I can still manage to look more fat than pregnant (getting more difficult though!). I'm not really an announcement making kind of girl and to be honest it seems weird to just start telling folks just to tell them. One of my coworkers suggested I just not tell anyone and see how long it takes for folks to figure it out, a suggestion that isn't without appeal to me!

However, for Halloween I am planning to wear a shirt much like this. If I wait, I only get to wear it once and that bums me out a bit as I think it's really cute! So I was thinking perhaps I would wear it to work next week. It would very much be announcing my pregnancy but I think that way might be easierfor me than actually telling people. And after one night the entire department would know as gossip spreads like fire!

It's work appropriate for pregnant women to wear t-shirts once they begin to show and while I haven't seen anyone wearing a themed shirt like that, themed scrub tops are common. By wearing it to work I could actually get to wear it a few times during pregnancy versus once on Halloween.

Think this is an acceptable way to tell work? Or should I stick with a more traditional telling? I am in the US and work as a nurse in a hospital ER if that makes a difference.

I suppose you have told your bosses as they have to do certain things so not to put you at risk etc?

But it's your body, your baby do whatever you feel happiest doing. To be honest people are possibly thinking "is she" but too scared say in case you have just put on weight..... thing is once you tell one person it soon filters through to others.

I'm not sure what advice to give about work I'm afraid, I work in a school and my head teacher is keen that she makes all announcements. But I have to say I love the t shirt I'm hoping to get it for my Halloween outfit and then probably just a lazy day top

I know over here in the uk you have to inform your employer a minimum of 15 weeks before your due date to qualify for maternity pay, so it depends if you need to officially inform your employer in which case I think it should be done more professionally.

However if you're just looking for a fun way to announce it then do it! I've got the exact same t shirt which I will also be wearing to work on Halloween!

You're lucky to have hidden it this long, there is no way i could hide this baby lol :p

The shirt is cute and with Halloween just around the corner i am sure it would be acceptable. It might be an 'icebreaker' to help people actually talk about it rather then just speculate. I'm not one to just stand up and announce something either. I don't really like being the center of attention. So when it came to telling family members that we were pregnant, we had LO wear a t-shirt saying 'i'm going to be a big brother!' Lol.

I haven't told work either and I'm really nervous about it for some reason. You should definitely tell your boss or anyone "above" you that matters. As for random co-workers, if you don't feel like making a big announcement just tell the nosiest person and ask them to spread the news for you! I hate that it's such an awkward conversation... I'm thinkingif telling my boss tomorrow but I've been chickening out the past 4 weeks so who knows!!

Love that shirt!

There is a maternity version here -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maternity-...ton-T-shirt/dp/B00EHBY48M/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ap_1 (not sure if they stock inthe US too)

Not much advice from me... My boss knew we were NTNP after we got married last winter. So they knew a day after we told our families. Then again I work in a very small business with all men. So as opposed to all of them thinking I was just getting fat they know I'm preggo. Good luck whichever way you decide!

I'm in the states and there is no requirement to tell my boss this soon. They don't offer any special light duty or anything if you are pregnant. The only "benefit" to telling them is that it would be easier to avoid high risk assignments, like patients with shingles, meningitis, stuff like that. As it is though, I've been able to avoid those patients by swapping with someone else who does know about the pregnancy (or telling someone new like I had to do last night).

I've caught a few people checking out my belly so I think some have been suspicious for a few weeks now. Those that know though, have all said they've not encountered any gossip about it so I think if people do suspect, they are speculating privately!

Thanks for the comments, I have until Friday to decide so I guess I'll keep thinking o. It.

I felt for start of your post that it was me typing.

I just told my boss last week.

I had my reasons for informing him.

I was very happy that I was able to tell him face to face and he replied with how much he appreciated me coming to him.

I think you should inform whatever necessary manager and then go with the shirt.

I totally chickened out telling work again... I'm such a wuss!!! Why is it so awkward???

Lol, I don't know Emily but know where you are coming from! I rarely see my manager or director since I work nights and only weekends (unless doing overtime) and they are Monday through Friday. I may send them a text or email as that is generally how we communicate.

The people at my work knew about my pregnancy when I got a sick leave because of all the vomiting and nausea I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"