Rh Factor Testing

allisonmh

Reaction score
Has anyone's dr not done the Rh factor testing?? This my first pregnancy and I'm 12 weeks. I had been seeing an RE before who did all sorts of testing but they never mentioned the Rh... I had my first appt with my regular OB last week and they didn't have my records from the RE to know what had been tested or not and she mentioned nothing of the Rh testing. Looking at their website, it says they're supposed to do it on your first visit... I'm confused as to why they didn't test me...

If they took your blood at all probably the first thing they did was test your blood type. Did they ask you your blood type?

The OB didn't even ask. I'm sure my RE knows, but my OB didn't have my records yet so she would've had no way of knowing. I just don't want it to end up being too late. I know my mom had to have the shots when she was pregnant though. I don't know, maybe I'm just worrying about nothing. Lol.

You don't normally have the injections until much later - only if you have a bleed, so definitely chase it but don't panic. I think I had a jab at 28 weeks and after the birth (as daughter was positive and I am negative)?? xx

Ooh ok! Thanks, Rickles. I was thinking I'd have to have one early on. But if it's not until later, I'll just ask at my next appt. My OB should have all the records from my other dr by then!

The RH test is just a simple blood type test. Do you remember if they tested for your type? This is part of the routine screen. If you have + blood (the majority of people), no need to worry. If you have - blood (like me), you will need a Rhogam shot around 25-30ish weeks, and again after birth ONLY if your child has + blood. The only other circumstance where you need the shot is if you are having an early bleed. So if you haven't had a bleed, no need to panic. I'd just follow up with your doctor to inqure.

My RE tested my blood type almost a year ago, and I don't remember them even telling me what it was, but I assume if I had been negative they would've told me. I go back to my OB in a few weeks so I'll just ask her about it then. It's good to know I possibly wouldn't need the shot for quite a while though. : )

Has anyone's dr not done the Rh factor testing?? This my first pregnancy and I'm 12 weeks. I had been seeing an RE before who did all sorts of testing but they never mentioned the Rh... I had my first appt with my regular OB last week and they didn't have my records from the RE to know what had been tested or not and she mentioned nothing of the Rh testing. Looking at their website, it says they're supposed to do it on your first visit... I'm confused as to why they didn't test me...

Rh factor testing was part of the series of blood tests done during the first blood draw. It was not specified explicitly during the appointment, but it was part of the results I got back from the lab.

I just had a follow up App at 11w1d yesterday and was told I have B- blood. So she said its nothing to worry about. Just a quick jab at 24 weeks or so and then again after birth if baby is + blood type :)

Apparently being B- is pretty rare. She said most people are positive

I know I'm O something. I just can't remember if it's - or +.

I wouldn't really panic/worry for now. You have time. I would mention it at next appointment though.

I've known my blood type since I was 16, AB-. Still had to get blood draw to confirm my blood type when I became pregnant with him at age 19. Had to get the rhogam shot in week 28, but lucked out that my son is the same blood type as me, so I didn't have the shot after birth. (There was possibility as my ex was AB+).

This time around, they still drew blood to confirm my blood type, and my OH has no idea what his blood type is, so I'll get a shot again around 28 weeks, and they will test baby once baby is born, to see if I need another shot (tho I don't plan to have anymore kids).

The only time you have to worry about it early is if you have miscarriage or you abort.

Well, I'm definitely not aborting and hoping and praying I don't have a mc so yes, I'll just ask at my next appt. I have no idea of my husbands blood type either so we'll just take it as it comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->