rhesus negative?

highhopes19

Reaction score
hi ladies ive been reading through my maternity notes.

and noticed that my blood group is rhesus negative, at my midwife appointment the midwife didnt even discuss this with me or what it means, she didnt even tell me the blood group or blood test results i only saw when i was in the car going through my notes :growlmad:.

when i was in their she just looked at me as i left and said "next time we need to discuss anti-d's".

i dont even know what this means :dohh:.

would someone be able to go through it with me please?

as my midwife was quite unapproachable and seemed in a rush to get me out the door :cry:
xxx

Hi,

I'm RH- and not an expert by any means but I do know that having this type of blood means there can be a risk to baby and to you (post birth) if the anti-D isn't administered. Its something to do with if the blood crosses/mixes (e.g. if you have a bleed or when you give birth) then the baby and at delivery the mother is at risk of a blood problem.

I had a bleed at 16 weeks and was given an anti-D to protect the baby in case our blood got mixed up. I'm having another at 28 weeks which is pretty standard for us RH- blood types.

Its nothing to worry about - but if you do blled at all then make sure you tell everyone you are RH- and need an anti-D. It sounds complicated but the doctors aren't remotely interested in it. Its pretty standard to them!

Don't worry - I read your other thread and know you're having a tough time - don't add this to your list - you'll be fine.

Big hugs :hugs:

Yes I am also RH- and you now get an Anti D injection at 28 weeks, then again once your baby is born...You will also need one if you have a bleed during your pregnany. I had a bleed at 16 weeks and was given a small amount of Anti D.

I am sorry they were no help to you, that's really bad! But don't worry about it honestly, just make sure you do go straight to Hospital if ever you bleed as it's important to get the jab.

Hugs x

Basically if your blood is negative, and the fathers blood is postive, if the baby ends up being positive aswell, then your body can start producing antibodies which can harm the baby.

You have an injection around 28 weeks, and then again when the baby is born (for future children i believe). Like someone else said you also have one if you have a bleed in pregnancy.

As far as i know it's nothing too important, and the anti-d injection just means that your body doesn't produce antibodies which could harm the baby, or future babies.

I also have neg blood, and had an anti d shot before and it was fine :flower:

as well as getting one if you bleed during pregnancy if you fall over or have a bang to your bump you need 1 then as well

I'm RH too & had a small bleed a few weeks ago so needed the anti d injection. It's really no big deal & was told I'll need another one at 28 & 34 weeks. The midwife & doctor didn't seem very concerned at all it was just a routine thing so don't worry hun it's no big deal xx

I found out yesterday Im Rh Neg too. The midwife said 20% of the population are this 'rare' blood type but it does seem to be more common than expected. Anti D injections will be offered and they go straight into your vein at 28 weeks. I hate needles but its got to be done. What annoyed me is they didnt offer to check OH blood type which may mean the injections can be avoided!
https://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Anti-D-(Rho)-Immunoglobulin.htm
X

I'm RH-Negative.

Understand that if this is your first baby, there is little/no risk to him. . .the problem is with FUTURE babies.

If the father is RH-Pos, then it's possible that your current baby is RH-Pos. Blood from your baby could enter your blood stream if you bleed/spot and during the birth, and your RH-Neg. blood will go on attack and form antibodies against the RH-pos blood. . .making you 'sensitized'.

If you become 'sensitized', your next baby will be attacked by your own blood.

The Anti-D injections are to keep you from 'sensitizing' to any possible RH-Pos blood in your system. It's important, it's safe, and as scary as it sounds, this is NOT a big deal :) :) :)

I had anti-d at 7 weeks because I was spotting. We later found out that my husband is RH-Neg and thus, our baby is as well. . .so I don't have to get Anti-d even though I'm RH-Neg.

HTH! :flower:

I'm also Rh Neg. I received a letter in the post to inform me of this a few weeks after my bloods were taken at booking in appt, then at 20 week scan I had to go and speak to a midwife who discussed what Rh Neg is and booked me in to have the anti-D injection at 29 weeks. My hospital offers the 1 double dose injection instead of 1 at 28 wks and then another at 34 wks which I'm glad to hear as I hate needles!

I think you also get one after the birth if baby's blood turns out to be Rh Pos but if it inherits your blood type you don't need to have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->