rice in bottle and goodnight milk

Discussion in 'Formula Feeding' started by Fabby, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Fabby

Fabby mummy to my amazing boy x

Whilst lying awake from 230am this morning :coffee: I was thinking...... why do they advice not to put rice In bottle when there is rice in goodnight milk?? X

2. katzone

katzone Mummy to two!

I have thought the exact same thing! :shrug:

3. tu123

tu123 Well-Known Member

I have also had this thought! Rice seems much finer than the goodnight milk!

4. pinklizzy

pinklizzy Mummy to two little bears

I know they say not to put rice into the bottle as it is a choking hazard so assume that the rice in the milk is blended into the formula? x

5. KatelynsMummy

KatelynsMummy Mummy to Katelyn!

I think its a different kind of rice... who knows :shrug:
    Never used the goodnight milk though, is it good? :flower:

6. Natsku

Natsku Well-Known Member

They don't not recommend it. They even sell special porridge teats for bottles.

7. katzone

katzone Mummy to two!

Tried it a couple of times and it made no difference for us so gave up using it :flower:

8. pinkie77

pinkie77 Mum of four!

It's a big no-no in the uk hun, I have heard it's different in other parts of Europe though x

9. tu123

tu123 Well-Known Member

Surely rice is rice?
    We tried the GN mlk with no effect, but it seems to do wonders for some babes.

10. Fabby

I don't think they do them in the UK x

11. Natsku

Natsku Well-Known Member

Yeah I got very confused when I saw people saying how bad it was on this forum

12. Fabby

I don't understand how its a choking hazard cus by the looks of it on the box when made up its all mushy and surely you can also say there's a choking hazard by taking it off the spoon aswell :shrug: x

13. ginny

ginny Well-Known Member

You can get dr brown bottles for thicker liquids but I'm not sure if that's for reflux? Xx

14. stardust599

stardust599 Well-Known Member

I don't know why, it's rather silly. Maybe cos goodnight milk is from 6months only?

We had to thicken bottles with rice cos of Macy's reflux. We used to put one heaped teaspoon in a 7oz bottle and make the teat hole bigger. I don't do it anymore cos she doesn't need it but it doesn't seem to affect the length of time she sleeps anyway!

I think a better idea if your LO is a decent dinner of 1/3 carbs (pasta,rice,potato), 1/3 protein (meat,lentils,cheese) and 1/3 vegetables plus a pudding a couple of hours before bedtime bottle. And a dreamfeed at 10-11pm if your LO still can't make it through the night x

15. pinklizzy

pinklizzy Mummy to two little bears

I suppose because the milk is all the same consistency whereas if you add rice to a bottle, you might get areas that are thicker than others?
    There's possibly a risk of choking giving it off a spoon if baby isn't ready but I think you're more in control of what's happening if youre using the spoon.
    I've always wondered what happens to the fluid balance in bottles if you add anything to them as we're always told to make sure the formula scoops:water is correct and I'm always panicing I've counted wrong!

16. Sarah&Ady

Sarah&Ady Weight Watchers Champ!

Slightly o/t but I find the Hipp Hungry Baby milk works better then the Hipp Good night milk :)

17. stardust599

stardust599 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I forgot I used to use Hungry Baby milk at bedtime and dreamfeed and it usually lasted her an extra hour xx

18. oliviarose

oliviarose Well-Known Member

I tried the good night milk and it made no difference.

I have started giving him around 4 spoonfuls of porridge before his bottle. Seems to be helping, but it could just be a phase.

19. Mrs IKW

Mrs IKW Well-Known Member

Its totally accepted and recommended in Spain - the Dr recommended it to me and wrote it on LO's monthly check up summery!!!! Every supermarket sells cereal or rice powder to add to bottles PLUS sugary biscuits that can also be disolved in bottles too!!!!

To be fair, the rice and cereal is a finely ground powder just like formula.... Its funny how advice differs so much from country to country!

20. xnewxmummyx

xnewxmummyx Mummy, Daddy and Isobelle

i never understood how baby can choke on baby rice? its more like powder!! its not actual rice grains :shrug: prob my stupidity..

xx