Rose's Birth Story and Photos :>)

MidnightSun

Reaction score
Baby Rose arrived on Sunday, May 29th at 08.30 in the morning at Stoke Mandeville Midwife Led Birthing Centre. She weighed 6lbs 15oz.

My birth plan was to have as natural birth as possible, labouring and giving birth in the pool and using only gas & air if need be whilst making the most of my Natal Hypnotherapy.

During pregnancy I had drunk pure raspberry leaf tea from 32 weeks, conducted perineal massage since 35 weeks and used Starflower Oil (1000mg capsules) vaginally since 37 weeks to ripen the cervix.

On the Friday morning (39+6) I was booked in for a stretch and sweep - it was early because I had voiced concerns to my MW with regard to being induced if I went very overdue. MW told me I was already 3cm dilated and 80% effaced! Very pleased!

That afternoon I had mild period pains and backache, but nothing really concrete happened. The next morning I was the same, and was rather disappointed and not looking forward to the sweep that I had booked for the Sunday morning! At about 2pm I started to experience a lot more back ache and period pains, and come 3.30 I realised that I had tightenings every 10 minutes. The tightenings were rather like Braxton Hicks, but this time they were only at the bottom of my bump and not all over like before.

By about 7pm that night they had turned into real contractions and I decided to have a bath to try to relax myself. It really did help. I also put on my Natal Hypnotherapy CDs and whacked on my TENS.

At midnight I decided to go to bed, the contractions were about 4.5 mins apart by that point, but manageable. Well, surprise, surprise I had only been in bed 10 minutes and they decided to take a notch up. By this point I was pacing the room, breathing deeply and timing them intently. They were coming almost every 3 minutes. I was sick and also had diarrhea

At 2am I called the Birthing Centre and after being on the phone to them for about 10 mins they told me not to come in as they thought I was managing very well at home. I wasn't very happy about it, but what can you do? I think a lot of that was down to my Hypnotherapy and the fact that my breathing was calm and controlled, as was I.

10 minutes later I rang again and told them I felt I needed to come in, so they said to roll on up.

The first thing I was told when I got there was that they were very busy. Hilarious really because as they led me to the room I was to be put in on labour ward (just to be examined) I had to walk through the birthing centre, where every room was empty!! Anyway, the lady examined me and much to my disappointment told me that I was still only 3cm and that I should go home. I was mortified. It's an hour's journey there and back for me and I couldn't imagine going! The MW then spoke to a senior colleague who said that I may stay. They did another stretch and sweep and she broke my waters, although I had been trickling since about 8pm.

After that things really stepped up a notch, and in all honesty a lot of it was a daze. I had my Hypno Birth Music playing all the time and it really did help, although I found it difficult to do the actual visualisations the 3,2,1...reelaaax did help.

At about 5pm I was starting to groan with the contractions and requested some gas and air, and although at the time I thought it was doing sod all my birthing partners tell me I stopped groaning and di cope better. the only problem was it made me very sick, light headed and I also had a very bad case of jelly legs. I didn't use it on every contraction as I found that sometimes my deep breathing techniques were enough.

7am and by now I was starting to get pissed off that they wouldn't examine me to see if I was past 5cm so that I could get into the pool. So I sent my sister out to speak to them, as it had been almost 4 hours since my waters broke. After what seemed like forever (although it wasn't) they came and said that they were filling the pool up and to come through. They examined me and well.... no wonder I was in pain I was fully dilated! I literally RAN to the pool... the relief was amazing.

My body was obviously nearing the time to push, as I kept on getting involuntary urges to bear down. At 7.30am the medial team changed over, which was great as the MW that came on to be with me was just so much nicer than the last one. She told me to carry on as I was until 8am, when she would like me to start pushing. She also told me that they would
be taking the gas and air away, which although I was a bit miffed about at the time, I did manage well.

MW helped me get into a comfortable position and said that when each contraction started she wanted me to put my chin down onto my chest, take a deep breath and push as hard as I could down into my bottom and that she wanted three of these per contraction. At first it felt like it wasn't doing much, but then I could hear my birth partners saying 'come on Claire!' as they could see my bulging down below. I was sneaky and I admit to having a couple of contractions that weren't that strong, and so I took that time to have a rest lol.. All in all I pushed for half an hour, and did one poo

I had skin to skin in the pool with Rose and delayed cord clamping. I delivered the placenta (well, it just fell out actually, had to catch it lol) physiologically after about 20 mins. I cut the cord.

Rose had AGPAR scores of 10 on every level and was bright, pink and alert when she was born.

I didn't tear my perineum (all that massage I reckon lol) but have torn all my vaginal walls inside and am having a bit of a rough time of it to be honest the pressure down there is immense and it sometimes does make me feel pankicked, so much so that I have had to see my GP about it and was given valium to calm me when I could feel a panic attack coming on

Still... I know that I will heal and that every day is a step in that direction.

Rose is just wonderful though, a very content and happy little girl and I must say that feeling of love and fierce protection is quite overwhelming at times in that I still cannot believe she's mine!

Attachments

• P1010817.jpg
    P1010817.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010828.jpg
    P1010828.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010843.jpg
    P1010843.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 31
  • P1010847.jpg
    P1010847.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 30
  • P1010848.jpg
    P1010848.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 29
Wow, you did amazing, and Rose is beautiful, congratulations! x

You were awesome and have a beautiful little girl. Big congrats :D:D:D

She is absolutely precious and that was a beautiful story! Congratulations!!! :)

Thanks guys :hugs:

I really am quite proud of myself now that I look back on it, and SO pleased that I was able to birth my beautiful daughter without any nasty drugs that might have effected her.

The Hypno Birth Music definitely helped me, as soon as the CD went off I was pointing to it through all my deep breathing saying 'on again!' ... It just helped me focus, and I love the idea that it was playing when she came into the world... all calm and peaceful.

Yesterday I had all my stitches checked etc and apparently there's a lot up there on the back vaginal wall, so no wonder I am in pain. Good news is the MW said the panic attacks were caused by the rectal Diclofenac that the lady gave me at the birthing centre on Tuesday! So I now know to steer well clear of that!

Motherhood is amazing though, this one little person... I just melt when I look at her. And she's such a content baby!

We aren't in our cloth napkins yet as everything is too bag for her :( but we are using our washable wipes and soapnuts and getting on well with both :thumbup: breastfeeding isn't going so well and I am having to start expressing, but I figure that if it doesn't work she did have 3 full days of liquid gold and that must have done her some good, right?

x x

Beautiful story and beautiful girl. Did you videotape it?

Wonderful birth story - it's really inspirational. How were the natal hypnotherapy CD's? I've literally just posted to ask how they work and would be really glad to hear your opinion as a very recent Mum!!!

x

wonderful well done she is gorgeous x

I didn't videotape it, no ... I'm not too sure I would have wanted a video camera pointing at me, although I was so zoned out I might not have noticed at all!

Caz the CDs were just fabulous - the Relaxation in Pregnancy really did chill me out and relax me about the whole giving birth thing, plus it was lovely to listen to after a long day on my feet. The Birth Prep one really was fab though, I used quite a few of the techniques on there and so did my birth partners and it really helped. The Birth Music was lovely too and I made them put it on over and over (drove my sister mad lol) and I had it playing when Rose actually came out of the water and onto my chest ... I haven't listened to the Post Natal one yet as I simply haven't had time!

I also have the book and it was a very interesting read - it detailed exactly how hypnosis works and how we can use it effectively in labour and how being relaxed and calm can have a profound effect in the body in labour.

All in all I loved it from start to finish and highly recommend it :thumbup:

Well done, beautiful story and beautiful daughter! xxx

Congrats my love! You certainly should be proud of yourself. It reminds me so much of Charlie's birth, though I was at home I kept having midwives out who wouldn't examine me cos they were certain I wasn't in active labour, then the first time one did I was fully dilated! I didn't think the hypno helped me that much at the time, as you said, you can't really do the visualisations, but the deep breathing must have done the trick.

Well done again, beautiful baby daughter!

Thank you so much, I am so pleased that it all went to plan... should I ever do it again I think I would definitely put the same plan into action, but at home I think :)

Here's a new picture of my little hedgehog...

Attachments

• Rose.jpg
    Rose.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel