Routine?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by hopalong, Sep 2, 2009.

1. hopalong

hopalong Active Member

I've been breastfeeding now for 2 and a half weeks - I'm really enjoying it as I love the way evie seems so content but we've got no routine at all - is that normal? I'm feeding on demand which can be anything from every hour two or three hours the lengthbof feed also varies from 15 minutes to a good hour. I know it's still early days but I'm beginning to wonder when or if we'll ever get into a routine. Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated x

2. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Mum of 2

I found with both my bf babies they settled into their own routine at around 6 wks x

3. Jemima

Jemima Mother of One

Well done on the feeding! I think Evie is still a little young to be in a routine. If I remember rightly, Poppy was around 3.5months when she started taking feeds at certain times and slipping into her own routine. I would carry on as you are, feeding on demand. Sounds like you are doing great and she is very contented :thumbup:

4. becstar

becstar Sleep is for the weak

I'm glad you asked this. I was wondering the same thing!

5. golcarlilly

golcarlilly Proud mum of 2

me too! i still feel like i am bf almost constantly unless we are out in the car or he is in pram!

6. Kitten

Kitten Mummy to Theakston & Nyah

We're 8 weeks and he still changes his routine daily to weekly but he's a lot more patient now if I'm trying to finish something he'll wait without crying so it doesn't feel so demanding.

7. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

I think Aisling was at least 8 - 10 weeks if not later by the time she started finding a bit of a routine. It will get easier though and you're doing brilliantly so far :thumbup:

8. Samantha675

Samantha675 Maybe baby #3?!?

It was around 8-10 weeks that Brenn settled into a routine, I never really forced it. It did tend to change every few weeks though.

9. hopalong

hopalong Active Member

Thank you so much for all your replies I think my worry is more that my family are all into bottle feeding and so don't understand that breastfeeding is different and more a case of feeding as and when the baby wants it. I'm in no rush to push a routine cos evie is still so young but it's nice to know what I should be expecting. Thanks again :)

10. mama2b

mama2b Mummy & TTC

Lucas was about 3 months at least until we even got close to a proper routine ! Everytime I thought we were sort of there he'd have a growth spurt and it was back to stage 1 again !

The funny thing is I did spend a lot of time trying to get him into a routine with no sucess then when I stopped he just settled himself into his own little routine all by himself.

I remember really stressing in the early days as it seemed everyone but me had sort of organisation in their lives !

11. celine

celine Well-Known Member

My lo is almost 10 weeks and i basically feed on demand during the day and from about a week ago he sleeps longer at night, almost 6 hours, wakes for a feed then sleeps a lil more so it will get there just carry on doing what you are doing - good job!

12. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

They find their own pattern if you are patient ;)