• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

rubella risk abroad

hanfromman

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Well this is a bit of a random question and so I didnt really know what forum to put it in!
I had a miscarriage 7 weeks ago and found out about 1.5 weeks ago that I am not immune to rubella (despite having had 2 vaccines as a child!) - this was discovered from a blood test that I had during my pregnancy or miscarriage, not sure which.
Anyway I tried to get a vaccine but because I have not had my period yet and have had unprotected sex (before I found out about me not being immune) they do not want to give me a vaccine right now because I could be pregnant.
My problem is is that I have a feeling I may be pregnant as I have been getting a few symptoms, and in a week I am going to Madeira which is above Africa (but owned by Portugal so maybe most people there will have been vaccinated?). I know the risk of getting rubella in the UK is low because most people have been vaccinated but am worried about getting it abroad. I have not taken a pregnancy test yet because its still early days and my hubby would be worried if he knew I was pregnant and going abroad, especially as he is not coming! I'm only going for 5 nights - what is the risk??
Ive got myself a bit worried!

I found this in google:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/maderia-islands.htm

I don't know how accurate it is, hope it helps!

Thanks! It doesnt say anything about there being a particular risk in Madeira, but it reccomends that people are vaccinated, but then it says that for visiting any country! Oh well fingers crossed!

the risk of rubella will be no higher than it is in the UK probably. Unless there is news of an epidemic there I think you will be absolutely fine.

I definitely think I'd test for the pregnancy if you think your pregnant. Then you'd know. Would you be far enough along that a blood test could confirm?....so that if your not you could go ahead and get the vaccination. However, if you're leaving in a week I don't think you'd have protection from the vaccination anyhow. Likely you'll be fine but I'd definitely take a pregnancy test so that you'd at least have that answer! Good Luck to you!

Even if she had a negative blood/urine test now, because there is still a risk the doctors wouldn't give her the shot. Because blood test don't always come back positive right away. Also, the shot wouldn't even work. Just remember to clean ur hands and keep good hygiene. I don't see the risk being any greater than it would be in UK unless there was a huge epidemic.

Thanks everyone! My mind has been put at rest somewhat now!!
They won't give me the vaccine until I get my period (and even then I have to have it while I still have my period and ideally within the first couple of days), because yeh there's always a chance I could be pregnant but not enough for it to show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"