Rubella?

BumbleBump

Mummy to 3 girlies!
Reaction score
Hi girls,

Me and OH are meant to be visiting my MIL on Sat evening, they are having a little family get together for Easter. I've just got a phonecall from her saying that one of the little ones who are coming has a possible case of Rubella... I'm 95% sure I've been immunised (and I'm going to go through my notes and check, I'm sure I saw it on there), does this mean it's 100% safe for me to go? I've read how bad for pregnant women to catch, so if there's any chance at all it could harm baby I'll give it a miss. I'll call my MW tommorrow as well to confirm, just wondered if any of you knew the answer?

When u had your bloods done at booking they test to see if u are immune its should be in your notes if u cant find it ring mw she will be able to tell u xxxx:hugs:

Thanks hun, just looked through my notes and on the blood card theres a "Rubella - Antibody detected" so I'm guessing I'm safe? I know it probably sounds like I'm being dumb by double checking, but if there's even a slight chance then I won't risk it!!

I wouldn't risk if even if your test came back ok tbh. Immunity can wear off at any time and i just wouldn't feel its worth the risk.

As its bank holiday tomorrow ring labour ward and ask advice or nhs direct i am sure your safe ...my lil one has just had chicken pox and ive been told not to worry cos iam immune x

My first post, and it's in the wrong trimester (I am 17+2), haha.
You say "possible case of Rubella" - hmm, if they don't know for sure, what else could it be? I wouldn't risk a virus...though it would be sad with Easter and all...
Anybody else find it strange that a family member would bring an obviously sick kid to a family get together?

My first post, and it's in the wrong trimester (I am 17+2), haha.
You say "possible case of Rubella" - hmm, if they don't know for sure, what else could it be? I wouldn't risk a virus...though it would be sad with Easter and all...
Anybody else find it strange that a family member would bring an obviously sick kid to a family get together?

That's very true, I hadn't thought of that... I was thinking of worst case scenerios. My immune system seems really low at the moment and I'm picking up everything (just got over a stomach bug, and still have a cold) so I might not risk it for that reason alone, I could do without getting *anything* nasty.

I was wondering why she was still coming too tbh! I think its because its only us and her family going, they were invited first and we were invited along as they wanted to see me and she's bringing some baby bits down for us - I'd imagine if they suspect it's rubella though she must be quite sick? :shrug: We can always rearrange and see MIL at another point though, I'll do as suggested and ring NHS direct and if no joy the labour ward tommorrow (was wondering if I'd be able to reach a MW due to bank holidays, another reason why I asked you guys first!) but I'm fairly sure they won't be too insulted if we don't go - just to be on the safe side!

I wouldnt go to be honest. I know it says its only hamful to baby before 16 weeks but still its not very nice if u do get it. My brother has had measles this month, I didnt catch it luckily and MW said its safe oz im over 16 weeks.

Why would they bring a sick child when there are most def more people who may not be immune to it there. I am immune to it but I would not go. Sad yes but I wouldn't

Im immune too but wouldn't want to risk it, if its not she must be pretty sick with something and catching anything is the last thing you want. Im sure they will understand, take care :hugs: XX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->