Running throughout Pregnancy

xakikox

Reaction score
I've been running since August and have built up to running ~10 miles a week. Any ladies out there that has continued running throughout their pregnancies or are planning to continue throughout their pregnancy? When do you recommend stopping?

Okay so this is a tough one. I love running...I hv done it for half of my life. With my first, I ran until I was 5.5 months. But then I started getting really bad round ligament pain which scared the beejeevas out of me...I thought I was miscarrying. Turns out that the pain is brought on from over activity...so at this point I changed to cycling ( which if u r like me u r probably thinking :sad2:).
It was until towards the end of my pregnancy and afterwards that I sort of wish I would hv stopped sooner. Given that ur joints loosen up when ur pregnant, it leaves more stress on muscles and ligaments and stuff which Makes u much more injury prone. Unfortunately I am still working through some of the injuries and stuff I got during the pregnancy.
That being said, there are many runners that continue running. But I would only do it if u hv been an avid runner way before u got pregnant. If u weren't doing it before And started to know And I elevate ur heart too much, it's not good for the nugget. And of course, it's high impact intense aerobics so u should talk to ur doc!
Good luck!

Hi.... We'll I have done a course on pre and post natal exercise. So I know you can keep doing your running as long as your body was used to that before you git pregnant.

However even though I know it's safe, I too was running and if stopped. I want to do it but I'm just very cautious this time round after a miscarriage and a chemical.....

There is no logic I'm just too scared lol but you can do it until you are too uncomfortable just he careful as your ligaments are extra stretchy so it's easier to go over on ur ankle etc xx

I've been running for about 7 years, but first trimester nausea has kept me from doing anything besides walking. :wacko:

That said, my dr said it's perfectly fine to keep doing what you're doing unless it's a contact sport. 10 miles a week sounds like a perfect amount, not too excessive. I would slow down your pace a little bit, the dr said just make sure you aren't so out of breath that you can't talk. If anything, a run/walk routine would be very beneficial for both of you. :hugs: Just do what feels good, and stop if anything feels off.

I've been running for 20 years (started when I was 10 years old). I trail ran until about 18 weeks, after that it was just too uncomfortable and I felt like I had to pee constantly. So I switched to hiking/brisk walking. Now I don't even do that because I get too many Braxton hicks contractions when I walk too quickly. Can't wait to pop this baby out and get back to my normal exercise!

I am NOT a runner, but I just had my early pregnancy class and the nurse said you can do anything you did before as long as there isn't a risk of injury and it doesn't make you uncomfortable. Basically, to listen to your body. I do love riding my bike and I got cleared for it because it has three wheels. I won't be falling off :)

I don't run long distances but I lift and do the occasional mile or two a few times a week. I asked the nurse that confirmed my pregnancy the other day about exercise and she said to cool it until I see my doctor (waiting for the referral to go through). I am just not lifting as heavily and trying not to get too winded, which seems to happen just from walking up the stairs lol.

How far along are you?

I'm 5w1d. I've suffered a loss at 36 weeks and running seems to be the only that I can do to help with the anxiety (even medication isn't working out so well...) I have an appoint with a family doctor on Monday, but my first prenatal appt isn't for another 5 weeks. I have cut down on running already, dropping from 3ish miles per run to 2. I plan on stopping after the first trimester, but maybe I should stop sooner as I've only been running for about 4 months?

I'm 5w1d. I've suffered a loss at 36 weeks and running seems to be the only that I can do to help with the anxiety (even medication isn't working out so well...) I have an appoint with a family doctor on Monday, but my first prenatal appt isn't for another 5 weeks. I have cut down on running already, dropping from 3ish miles per run to 2. I plan on stopping after the first trimester, but maybe I should stop sooner as I've only been running for about 4 months?

I am so sorry :hugs: that must be very difficult to cope with. I definitely think that if it is helping with your anxiety then you should try to keep it in your routine as much as you can. Mental health is just as important during pregnancy as physical health! Maybe just tone it down (seems that you already are!) at least until you see your doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->