Sadly need to cancel our Christmas Santa weekend

Rags

Mother of 1 boy
Reaction score
I paid my deposit for our annual Santa weekend in February with the remainder due at the end of October. We've all been so excited for it, it will really be the last year we can do it at Ds will be almost 12 by next year. I've been waiting all week for the details of Scotlands impending 5 tier covid system and am pretty gutted on reading through all the info and finding out that tier 3 and 4 both included no travel, outside of your zone, for tourism - I'm so very sad. My area is already in additional measures, so I think it's incredibly unlikely we would be down at tier 2 by mid December. I've still got £600 to pay, it's an awful lot to know I wouldn't get back, and can't cover with travel insurance in the circumstances - I'm not happy to lose the deposit but at least it's a small amount in comparison. I now need to contact my friend and break the news to her and her daughter (who will be upset as she's not been before and has heard all the stories).

So sorry to hear that. It's so disappointing x

Thank you all. I know we're all in the same boat, just hating having to cause more disappointment. I'm about to call my friend but I'm thinking I might tell her to keep the time off booked at work and if I keep the money and we drop down to tier 2 (unlikely) we can try to get a last minute lodge booked, won't be the same but it would be the only time we've been able to go anywhere this year, and thinking about it, the older girls might come too, so could be nice... I guess it's a lot of crossing fingers and hoping over the next 6 weeks!!!

I recieved a lovely email from the resort this morning to confirm my 'understandable' cancellation and telling me that they intend to return my deposit! I'm so delighted as I understood when I booked that the deposit was not returnable if I cancelled. It's nice to deal with nice people.

That's great news.
How lovely of them. Rare to find a company like that these days! :)

I'm so sorry that sounds so disappointing

We are not doing visits with Santa this year because they will have Santa wear a mask and make the kids wear one etc.
So I bought a Santa suit and my dad is going to wear it and surprise the kids.
Is that something you could do?

I'm so sorry that sounds so disappointing

We are not doing visits with Santa this year because they will have Santa wear a mask and make the kids wear one etc.
So I bought a Santa suit and my dad is going to wear it and surprise the kids.
Is that something you could do?
Thank you, what a lovely idea. Unfortunately the only man in the family is my brother, and he'd be spotted a mile off! My dad dressed as Santa years ago for my eldest niece and nephew, all went well and they had a lovely day - until that night when my nephew quietly said to his mum 'it's been fun but I know that's not Santa', his mum asked 'what do you mean, of course it's Santa?' only to be told 'no it's not, Santa isn't Australian!' I guess we'd completely forgotten that my dad wasn't British.
The Santa part isn't such a big deal, we went to lapland when he was 5 to meet Santa Santa, so he's aware of the 'helpers' here, it's the whole package that is offered, they put on a fabulous weekend of banquets, live performances, panto, reindeer, crafts, leisure facilities, and when it snows, sledging and it's all set next to a small forested area so they can climb trees and build dens. Ah, I'm getting myself down!! We'll be fine, we've had a good run at the whole 'magic of Christmas' thing, I'm very aware of how fortunate we are.

Thats great they are refunding.
The boys have requested santa visit us this year. They are aware its daddy in a costume but they think it'll be fun for Reuben, not that he'll really understand haha

That's such a lovely thing for them to suggest, they will be remembering how wonderful it was for them and they don't want Reuben to miss out, very sweet.

I'm so sorry you will miss out on all of that, it does sound so wonderful. I hope that you can make a special Christmas
somehow after all:hug:

Your nephew's comment about Santa is so cute, lol!

It sounds like you live near me (hello tier 4?)

If so, there is a v. convincing home visit Santa in the area who is still operating this year! We did a meet and greet with him last year and Gracie was 100% convinced.

That's very interesting, we you send a link? I've got a cabin in the garden that I could decorate and make it really special. I'm near Glasgow.

That's very interesting, we you send a link? I've got a cabin in the garden that I could decorate and make it really special. I'm near Glasgow.
I’m near Glasgow too (Lanarkshire) - search Facebook for “Santa home visit Lanarkshire”

I’ve actually just checked and he’s not doing the visits this year, it must be a different person! He is doing a personalised DVD for kids though! We had a breakfast with Santa thing with him last year and it was really good. He has a real beard which helps! It’s grey rather than white.

I'm west dunbartonshire, I'll have a look in our area. I'm not surprised he's not doing it this year, I bet he'd feel awful if he took bookings and then needed to cancel. Thanks, it's a good idea. I do think I'll go all out decorating the cabin, make it into a grotto, that way its special if anyone is able to visit us (all be it cold with all the windows and doors open for ventilation).

I'd love a Santa visit to home. Guess it's very tricky though.

A friend told me she booked Santa at a shopping centre but the children cant have a photo (I understand social distancing but I'd love a photo even if a few meters apart).

I cannot find any local places doing Santa visits that aren't sold out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->