Safe chicken?

Skywalker

Reaction score
Hi ladies, the day before yesterday, I baked a chicken late in the day and let it cool for an hour or two before refridgerating it in the same dutch oven I cooked it in. The next mid-morning (yesterday) I put the dutch oven in the oven and heated it through for about an hour to heat up the chicken so I could have some. Then, I let it cool again and put it back in the fridge. I want to make a stock using the bones but I want to make sure it's okay to heat it up again after refridgerating it and heating it twice? If I wasn't pregnant I'd probably just do it but figured I'd ask just to make sure.

Hmmmm... I am pretty laid back when it comes to food rules usually, but I actually would not heat again after doing it twice. Cook, refrigerate or freeze, reheat once only is my rule.

Hmmmm... I am pretty laid back when it comes to food rules usually, but I actually would not heat again after doing it twice. Cook, refrigerate or freeze, reheat once only is my rule.

Yeah, I'm probably with you on this one. Also just to be safe, the beef mince was 1 day past expiration, looked and smelled fine but I let OH eat that and made myself eggs instead. So just to be safe, I'll skip the stock. I'll have to do it faster next week because that's basically the reason I got the chicken lol, but I did get two really good meals out of it, so that was good! (Oh and was it ever good lol. I hadn't been eating very healthy what with morning sickness and everything so I made myself get a whole organic local chicken and when I was supposed to be letting it cool the first night, I stood over the stove picking at it for like, about a half hour and ate half the chicken right then and there :haha: Guess my body really needed whatever is in chicken!)

With meat, I am OVERLY cautious. Typically you can't cook,cool, reheat, cool, reheat. I wouldn't advise that. Either cook, and freeze or eat right away.
If you want to do chicken stock, than cook the chicken in the oven, and I typically make it a roast chicken dinner for the family. Refigerate the carcus(sp?) then the next day I put it in a pot of water and boil for 2 hrs on low and add spices and veggies to make the stock.

I consider myself cautious and safe with foods and cook always from scratch. If I made a chicken and only had it 2 days I would definitely not worry about making a stock out of it. But it depends on the person - some ladies on here are scared to eat leftovers at all. I make all our stock and soups from scratch so am always cooking more for leftovers to turn into soups/stews/stocks/second meals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->