Safe exercises during pregnancy?

Gilmoregirl1

Reaction score
Hey ladies just found out I'm four weeks pregnant with baby number 2! It was quite a surprise! Anyway for the last two months ive really been working on being healthy. I gained 50 lbs with my last one who is now a year and i have lost 25 but i am still overweight. I know i can no longer cut my calories like i have been but am i safe to exercise like i was? I was doing the eliptical for 30 min the bike for 30 min and the rowing maching or stair stepper for 15 min. I really want to be healthy with this pregnancy. I had gestational diabetes with my son and he was born at 10 lbs. He was in the nicu for 2 weeks due to extremely low blood sugar. I dont want to see another baby go through that. If my exercises arent safe what can i do. Besides eat healthy im already working on that :)

Your exercises sound perfectly safe to me. My doctor always says that if I did it regularly before I got pregnant I can do it while pregnant. The key factors are don't overheat and don't let your heart rate get to high. You don't want to be gasping for air.

I still hike, ride my mt. bike, (but easy trails so I don't risk falling) use my elliptical and with my last pregnancy I was nordic skiing. I cut out any sports, like downhill skiing, where the chance of falling or getting hit was high.

Listen to your body - it will tell you when to stop.

Agreed, my gyn told me I could continue doing my exercise until my belly stopped me. But I did krav 7x a week so she had some big no-no things with that obviously lol it is hand to hand combat. Agreed also with pp that my gyn said to stay very well hydrated (so drink stop to drink a minimum of every 15 minutes) and really listen to your body. You might not be able to handle the same intensity, so be open to what your body tells you. As a mom, your instincts are to protect your baby. The baby will also protect itself. So if you are dizzy and really hurting, where you may have pushed hard through it before you need to step back and take a moment now.

She did ban the following:
1) Nothing that involved me laying on my back
2) Nothing that involved balance in case I fell
3) Nothing that involved hand to hand touch in case someone over enthusiastically hit me in the uterus
4) Absolutely no more Spartan Races

I remember reading that lunges were not good, but that was later in your pregnancy rather than early on. I can't remember if she asked me to avoid anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->