Safe to eat during pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by berrukins, Dec 24, 2009.

1. berrukins

berrukins Mommy to 2

Hi, I'm 15 weeks along now & this would be our first baby. Ever since 1st tri, I've been making sandwiches with breakfast deli ham & cheese. The ham's heated in the microwave, and the cheese is packaged sliced cheese. That seems to be the only sandwich I love & can't do without. I've read that deli ham isn't very good to eat when pregnant, but I do heat the ham up in the microwave - so do u ladies think it's fine?

And I've been avoiding seafood ever since I got my BFP, but I caved in today & had clam chowder for lunch (my favorite). Is clam chowder OK to eat during pregnancy?

Thanks v much for any replies!

2. bexxie

bexxie Well-Known Member

Do you know what,last night I had Brie,Blue cheeses and deli meats. Eat what you fancy hun,is all such crap cant eat this that and other.

I am on third babe and all mine been fine and healthy.

Enjoy!
    xx

3. zenmommy526

zenmommy526 Well-Known Member

I agree. I have been having deli meat on occasion and canned tuna fish. Sometimes I have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. All which are "bad". Those are just precautionary measures. Wouldn't eat four sandwiches a day. lol

4. kaleidoscope

kaleidoscope Mum of 4,expecting a 5th!

im sure if the deli ham is heated you will be fine as if listeria is present..heating will kill it.....mould ripened and unpasturised cheeses are a listeria risk..so I personally wouldnt risk it.......that said..with every single one of my pregnancies Ive eaten brie before Ive realised Im pregnant

5. berrukins

berrukins Mommy to 2

Thanks very much, ladies! This is certainly very helpful! I was getting a little paranoid after the clam chowder (but I just couldn't resist it coz it's one of my favorite food & I've abstained from it for months now!) but I feel so much better now after talking to you.

Oh and Zenmommy526, I've also had massive cravings for peanut butter & jelly. In fact I had ALOT of it in my 1st tri!

6. kc1980

kc1980 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with peanut butter? I read that you shouldn't eat if you or partner have a history of allergies but I don't know of another reason...
    The problem with deli meats is also the nitrates in them which may be cancer-causing once converted in your body, but this isn't proven in humans and it would probably have to be quite a lot so I'm sure eating them occasionally would be OK? I have asked my doctor about this here in Switzerland and they don't recommend women to stop consuming these things - it's a bit OTT if you ask me.

7. jess_smurf

jess_smurf Angel Kristian & Olivia

in uk they say peanuts are fine now and nothing wrong with Jam (jelly). i get deli meat pre packed so removes the risk

8. j_cmakeab2009

j_cmakeab2009 Active Member

I have been on a clam chowder kick too and I live in Seattle so kind of hard to avoid good clam chowder but I am eating it from the can and heating it up good. If I am craving it there must be something in it the baby likes or wants so can't hurt. I would stay away from salmon and other fish at restaurants because I got food poisoning because they didn't cook it good but I didn't really realize it at the time. So making it in your house is one thing but restaurants I would steer away from fish.

9. berrukins

berrukins Mommy to 2

Thanks! I know what u mean about clam chowder ... I love that and I can't resist whenever it's on the lunch menu in my office cafeteria! And piping hot clam chowder in winter is simply wonderful! My baby seem to love seafood (except fish!) ... I've been craving for shrimp but I have refrained myself from shrimp coz I was afraid it'll be undercooked and overcooked shrimp isn't tasty (too dry).

10. trashit

trashit Guest

theyre forever coming out with new guidelines, nothings safe, they'll be trying to tell you not to eat at all before soon :haha: x

11. bmeans26

bmeans26 Mommy of a beautiful boy

I'm sure it's fine to eat! My doctor told me as long as it's being heated there's nothing wrong. Plus as long as it's not an everyday thing, everything is fine in moderation :) We'd go crazy if we couldn't eat what we were craving every now and then. :haha:

12. meldmac

meldmac Mom to an angel and Colin

Deli meat is ok as long as it's heated up. I think the risk is higher in pregnancy for listeria and that is why the warnings for deli meat but it's perfectly safe if it's heated in the microwave.

I think seafood is ok as long as it's cooked properly. Not sure about this though.