Sandwich ideas?

LadyofRohan

Mummy to Éowyn
Reaction score
I know I need to avoid deli meats, but lately I've been craving sandwiches for lunch and I need some recipes that don't use deli meats but are still delcious! Right now the only thing my poor brain will come up with is peanut butter and jelly :haha:

Have you thought about trying vegetarian 'meats' such as Quorn or Redwood? Other options include hummus, cheese (hard), cucumber, tomato, hard boiled egg or pickle.

i usually have a big fat salad sandwich an use a slice of cheese instead of meat :) i also put lots of humous in hehe

I personally still eat deli meats, only stuff I buy from the deli counter that is high quality, without preservatives. You could also take a whole chicken and bake it with whatever seasoning you like and slice up that meat for a sandwich or make chicken salad out of it to put on a sandwich too :)

Ohh yes i have it with almost everything :haha:

Me too! :blush: I love using it in sandwiches, as a dip for carrots and sometimes just eating it on its own! :)

I put avocado/guacamole on my sandwhiches for bulk, then some veggies. Also, I make grilled cheese sandwhiches. Honestly, I've had deli meats (I know, I know, but ugh sometimes I just need that bloody roast beef). My midwife told me not to eat tuna, not sure if it's just a US or NY thing...

steam your deli meat if that's what you want.. I love sandwiches ...my fave is salmon with crisp lettuce and tomato on rye... scuse me I'm hungry going to make myself one right now!

I'm in the US, and as far as I know, tuna is ok every once in a while. "Although concerns have been raised about the level of mercury in any type of canned tuna, the FDA and EPA say pregnant women can safely eat up to 12 ounces (340 grams) a week or two average-sized portions of canned light tuna (limit albacore tuna and tuna steak to no more than 6 ounces or 170 grams a week)"

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy-nutrition/PR00109

The risk of listeria lies not in how fresh the deli meat is, nor the quality, preservatives, etc. Listeria is a disease that the ANIMAL itself may have. If you eat meat from a contaminated animal, then the risk to contract listeria is there. It does not matter how this meat was preserved. Cooking the meat kills the bacteria. The risk of it is low, but the consequences can be significant. Lots of pregnant women eat deli meat and are fine, but then there's the one who eats it ONCE and comes down with listeria. It's just a choice you have to make whether you want to risk it or not. It's important to note that signs of listeria typically present themselves a few months after exposure, so it's not a - i had deli meat last week and i'm fine - kind of deal. I've tried my best to stay away, but honestly I've had 2 or 3 cold sandwiches. I feel bad, and will feel like the world's worst mother if I come down with listeria, but man that craving was a hard one to get by! i literally refused to eat anything except a cold cut sandwich, anything else the thought made me gag.

Sorry, was babbling a bit. To the OP - If you don't want to heat up the meat, I suggest using leftover chicken for sandwiches! try going to allrecipes.com and looking up sandwich ideas. if you like veggies, try looking up vegetarian sandwiches?

oh, and i found this comment on a site from a woman who sadly contracted listeria during her pregnancy:

For those of you who think that it cannot happen YOU'RE WRONG! My perfectly healthy baby was stillborn at 35 weeks from what my doctors believe to be a listeriosis infection. I displayed many of the symptoms and was told by my OB that it wasn't an OB problem. I suffered with the symptoms for 9 days. No one would figure out the problem until it was too late. PREGNANT MOMS, PLEASE ignore the uninformed posts that tell you not to worry about it because it won't happen to you. You only have to eat ONE contaminated product to become infected. Yes, it's rare, but why take the risk when there are plenty of other foods available? Just like Larry Pickering stated, "Pregnant women are about 20 times more likely than other healthy adults to get listeriosis." Also, be aware that listeria can affect fruits and vegetables too, so wash fruits & veggies!

we don't have to stay away from deli meat, just try your best to make sure you heat them up first! :)

I would eat deli meat just cook it real good. I have eaten hot dogs and deli meats. It is all steamed and cooked. Steaming kills listeria so it should be fine :)

I'm in the US, and as far as I know, tuna is ok every once in a while. "Although concerns have been raised about the level of mercury in any type of canned tuna, the FDA and EPA say pregnant women can safely eat up to 12 ounces (340 grams) a week or two average-sized portions of canned light tuna (limit albacore tuna and tuna steak to no more than 6 ounces or 170 grams a week)"

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy-nutrition/PR00109

The risk of listeria lies not in how fresh the deli meat is, nor the quality, preservatives, etc. Listeria is a disease that the ANIMAL itself may have. If you eat meat from a contaminated animal, then the risk to contract listeria is there. It does not matter how this meat was preserved. Cooking the meat kills the bacteria. The risk of it is low, but the consequences can be significant. Lots of pregnant women eat deli meat and are fine, but then there's the one who eats it ONCE and comes down with listeria. It's just a choice you have to make whether you want to risk it or not. It's important to note that signs of listeria typically present themselves a few months after exposure, so it's not a - i had deli meat last week and i'm fine - kind of deal. I've tried my best to stay away, but honestly I've had 2 or 3 cold sandwiches. I feel bad, and will feel like the world's worst mother if I come down with listeria, but man that craving was a hard one to get by! i literally refused to eat anything except a cold cut sandwich, anything else the thought made me gag.

Sorry, was babbling a bit. To the OP - If you don't want to heat up the meat, I suggest using leftover chicken for sandwiches! try going to allrecipes.com and looking up sandwich ideas. if you like veggies, try looking up vegetarian sandwiches?

I don't know tons about listeria but like I said I do still eat deli meats on occasion. But if it's all from it being in the meat and if you cook it first then if I'm eating for example a chicken deli meat that has obviously been fully cooked and is now being served cold what is the difference? Wouldn't it have been killed in the original cooking process if it was in the meat?

I spoke to my midwife about still eating it and her only real concern was that she felt the meat wasn't healthy because it's processed...but what I eat isn't.

I've been loving sandwiches with fresh buffalo mozzarella, sliced tomatoes and rocket! (it has to be buffalo mozzarella for that salty tang!).

The other thing is philadelphia (cream cheese) with cucumber, it seems to go down well.

Luckily ever since i got pregnant i've been completely off meat, otherwise the deli meat thing would be tricky for me too.

I have had loads of un steamed meats. I am now just putting it in the mic for 10 seconds letting it sit a min before I finish making my sandwhich. That way its not hot and icky because I hate hot meat.

I don't know tons about listeria but like I said I do still eat deli meats on occasion. But if it's all from it being in the meat and if you cook it first then if I'm eating for example a chicken deli meat that has obviously been fully cooked and is now being served cold what is the difference? Wouldn't it have been killed in the original cooking process if it was in the meat?

I spoke to my midwife about still eating it and her only real concern was that she felt the meat wasn't healthy because it's processed...but what I eat isn't.

I'm not an expert, but from what I understand from my research, as well as my knowledge of microbiology, the bacteria is not a threat once you cook it and consume it within a certain timeframe, but when refrigerated the bacteria can start to grow again. Not sure on the specifics, but I think it has to do with inhibition of bacteria. Similar to the way a freezer inhibits bacteria, but does not KILL it. Every bacteria has a different threshold for temperature - high/low temps may kill some bacteria, while other bacteria are strong enough to not die, but will be neutralized to the point where they are no longer a threat. At a certain temp, they "wake up" for lack of a better word, and can multiply and once again can cause illness. This is the reason why (from what I understand) we're not supposed to heat the meat up, then stick it in the fridge for an hour before eating it. I could be wrong, like I said I'm not an expert.

*edit* my OB didn't seem overly concerned about it either, she told me at my first appt that new guidelines say she has to inform me of the risk and advise that i do not eat it, but she ate it through her pregnancies in the years before listeria was known and she never had a problem. i put this down to the "it can't happen to me" type of thing. like i said, many pregnant women never have a problem, so it isn't viewed as a serious threat, but we do know the risk is there and how to prevent it. also, like i said, i've had a few myself even fully aware of the risk so i'm in no way trying to say anyone who eats cold deli meat is horrible. =)

I usually have tuna mayo (once a week only) or cheddar cucumber and tomato and mayo

Boiled Egg salad is my fave.

What about cooking some chicken breasts and having that cold with salad?

Ermm I can't think of anything else, I'm not a sandwich lover :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->