Savings and affording a baby

MissN8

Reaction score
Will I ever be able to afford a baby. every month I think I can save something always comes up like car bills or buying oil. its so hard I just feel like will never get there. how much savings are you putting aside for baby? I need 4,000 pounds to cover maternity pay and also think an extra £1000 for baby stuff so I am thinking it will take me a year to save that. roll on this time next year I am praying it all works out. I cant wait for Christmas but I feel like it wont help with the savings :(

I am terrified. I never knew how much it costs to live. Trying to save, but it's so hard!!

I think there is ALWAYS a way to make things work. DH & I didn't plan our now 2 year old son so it was hard at first, but there are ways to make it cheap. Cloth diaper, breastfeed if you can, don't buy all the extra things like swings & such, and co-sleep. Saves a ton of money! When we're ready to try for #2 we don't plan on saving or anything like that.

thanks for replying i think once I have half of my savings done I will feel much better about it all. its just hard with the cost of everything going up even when you bargain hunt money just doesn't last these days.

i worry about this but then i just look at all the people who have happy accidents and some of them are terrible with money but they get by!
although one of the reasons me and my boyfriend are waiting is we dont just want to 'get by' we want to be comfortable and give our kids everything!
im not saving any extra money to cover maternity, i know OHs wage will cover the bills and essentials so that will be ok. im just going to save so i can buy things for my baby
im not doing a very good job of explaining myself haha but what i mean is i want to buy everything comfortably for my baby but i dont mind if me and OH are scrimping, we really enjoy doing it any way to be honest :)

i agree that there's always a way. we cloth dipe, don't do fancy/smart phones or cable TV, drive junkers (my car cost $2,000), buy baby clothes & toys from thrift stores for super cheap... DH is still in college, too, so we still have tuition to pay, and we're still fine, praise the Lord. so, yeah, i believe it's doable - you may have to cut out things like eating out and trips to see new movies in the theater, but it's worth it. :flower:

i worry about this but then i just look at all the people who have happy accidents and some of them are terrible with money but they get by!

^^^ This is exactly what I think!!!
I have savings, but OH isn't as good with money. But the savings I do have, I would put towards buying a house. And just live off our wages or something with the baby.

Trust me, it doesn't matter how much money you do or don't have. You'll always want more but actually need very little.

I have 3 little boys, 2 of whom have arrived in a most unplanned fashion. Our first was the only one we were actively trying for :blush: Buying 2nd hand or on sale, only buying the things you really need, and making the most of things like gift vouchers are all helpful. People are always very generous with first babies so try to steer people lol.

Bear in mind though that babies actually need very little........ most of the 'things' they need are actually things that WE want them to have lol. Be realistic and you'll be fine.

BTW - my hubby is a full time student, I'm a SAHM and we just about get by on a very small income. The plan is that we work hard while they're small and are unaware of the hardships. Once they get bigger (and are more likely to ask for expensive things) we'll be in a better position to offer it, plus they will see how hard we have worked for what we will have - grand scheme sort of thing.

We didn't save to have a baby. We just bought bits every month in pregnancy.
People ended up buying us so much and that helped. We didn't go crazy buying the most expensive stuff either. Breast feeding saved a fortune too.

we saved loads for the first baby, not to buy stuff but to make up for loss of wages, just bare in mind you will never be able to save the same way ever again as you will be either working part-time or be covering the cost of childcare - so save while you can!!

We didnt save anything for baby no.2 and it is hurting now. i have no money and it sucks.

I was also going to say - people will buy you stuff as well, so that can take care of a lot of little things if you/they are organised.

the reason I need to save is because I am the bread winner of the house so have to cover the cost of maternity leave and loss of wages. not too worried about the buying of items anymore will hopefully get gifts from family and friends and perhaps borrow items too. i will be happy having any sort of savings tho and not going to change my ntnp date again

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->