Saw a different midwife today

summer rain

Mum of 5
Reaction score
And wow what a differerence! My usual midwife is on holiday, the one who was not being very helpful or approachable regarding home birth or generally. So today at my appointment there was a different lady from her team; and she was really nice. She was a bit concerned as I have had a previous large baby (although I've since had a 6oz smaller baby; and neither of them had any problems being delivered due to their size) but she said as long as I knew there were risks involved and also as I've had a previous successful home birth; then it shouldn't be a problem. She also said regarding the parking as long as there is somewhere to park; which there is as there is a layby just a few yards around the corner which 99% of the time has spaces free and no parking restrictions, then again its not a problem; she said she'd book me in for definite for a homebirth and make a note to make sure my usual midwife does discuss it and gives me the HB kit at the next appointment; apparently they don't do a home visit beforehand in this particular area. She also said there was no issue if when the time comes; I decide I want to go to hospital and she advised me to just turn up at the nearer hospital; which I am happier with anyway as I had a horrendous experience at the hospital where i've had scans et al; with my eldest boy. With regard to the homeswap she said just keep them updated, but for now we will just assume we won't be moved by then and so its all booked anyway.

I say call and ask for a switch of midwives. She's obviously more intuned with what you're needing. Glad you had a good time :)

Glad you had such a positive experience with her, it's amazing how opinions differ isn't it x

Excellent - you must feel like a weight is lifted and you can really start to look forward with more confidence xx

Jenni I'd like to but in this town it seems that each particular midwife deals only with the women in a particular area/suburb, the other lady coming to our clinic today was a one off due to the other one being on holiday. I could ask to have my appointments somewhere else to be able to see the other midwife but it would present a difficulty as I don't drive and I struggle to get to appointments as it is. It is unlikely though that my usual midwife will be coming to my homebirth though; which is a relief. The only silly thing about what was said today is I have to have another blood test for iron in the next two weeks; I'm naturally pale and even though I only had one at 28 weeks (which was fine) they just don't believe I can have very healthy iron levels, grrr.

I know I don't but they said they wouldn't feel comfortable with me having a homebirth if not and its policy in this area. I ended up having to have my 28 weeks bloods done 4 times with my second baby; first time they didn't believe the results because I was 'so pale', second time the results were lost, third time it was all ok but then I had my son up at my parents and that health authority said they cannot accept results from any other health authority; so I had to have them done again a fourth time lol. It is annoying but like the GTT which I had at 24 weeks and which quelle surprise turned out to be perfectly fine results wise; I think sometimes its better to just go along with things for a quiet life....:D

I understand. I am naturally pale, borderline anemic and a vegetarian. Makes for low iron counts in pregnancy and MWs humming and harring about home birth. I went along with the tests and one was missed (by them and I forgot to remind them) and I birthed at home and you know what - I KNEW my iron was low AFTER the birth (I could feel it was and told them so) and they never bothered to test me again....cant be THAT important can it!! :lol:

My iron is always more towards 15, but they're still not convinced lol so I'm just doing this to shut them up. X

I know what you mean by just doing it to appease them because if not they'll get all annoying about it. I was told I needed to have a GTT just because I have a higher BMI. I aksed if there was any sugar in my urine or any other reason but they said no. And as it's horrible to take my blood (I mean seriously horrible, nurses run the other way when they see me coming hahaha) I didn't want to have to do it twice in one day. And though I know I didn't HAVE to. I would have just gotten the whole "Weeelllll if you don't do this then we won't feel comfortable about later and may need to transfer you because... bla blablablabla"

Oh and it makes sense about not being able to switch. Bummer though, she seemed lovely :)

15 is great! Mine never gets above 10 in pregnancy.

It's rarely been bang on that high but usually about 13.5 or above, lowest it's been for me is 11.5 and that's right after I had my eldest which was quite a traumatic birth. I was thinking of using fake tan just before my appointments just to stop the 'pale' nonsense but I forgot lol.

:lol: Love the fake tan idea! My dad always said I looked like I could do with a pint of blood :dohh:

Pale is very in right now. Those midwives need to get on the ball. hahaha

The annoying thing is I do suffer with chronic fatigue syndrome; thankfully no way near as severe as some other people though I do get some relapses from time to time; but doctors always say if I had more iron it would fix it as I 'must be anaemic'. I've never been anaemic in my life. With my eldest I lost quite a bit of blood but still my levels were 11.5 immediately after the birth, this bossy Irish midwife still insisted on me taking three iron tablets a day as I was clearly very pale and borderline, then another midwife visiting me at home told me to stop taking them or to only have one a day as it was totally unnecessary.

BTW I just looked into the hospitals where the midwives are based round here and they have not very reassuring statistics in concern to one of the hospitals; the number of ladies booked for homebirth who actually had one is only about half of those who booked it, and 19 women last year had a home birth 'by accident' (their words) because the midwives didn't get there in time, and thats well over a third of the ladies who got their home birth out of all those who booked. Hmm not exactly confidence inspiring considering my worry is them not getting here in time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->