Saw my OB today :(

Fairy_Girl

Reaction score
It wasn't the best appointment but I guess it wasn't all that bad. Some of you may have read about my hospital trip the other day but if you haven't the basic idea is Ive had HORRIBLE morning sickness. So bad that I wasn't able to eat for 2 days. I really still cant eat all that much but I can keep down a little more than what I could 3 days ago. I'm still pretty dehydrated and she told me to drink more water but I really cant even keep watter down. She gave me a few other tips but all of them don't seem to help at all and they are all pretty much things the hospital told me to do anyway. So after explaining to her all of my problems she said that it sounds like I have a condition called Hyperemesis gravidarum or also known as HG and there is nothing she can do about it. She said that its starting to be more and more common in pregnancy and with the fact that I'm carrying twins she wasn't surprised. She is keeping me on the Phenergan until my symptoms go away. She said that it might go away in the next few weeks or it could last the whole pregnancy :cry: She also said that some women find more comfort in terminating the pregnancy which I found to be appalling. Ill take throwing up every day over killing my babies. She also said that if it gets too bad sometimes they put something in your arm like a pertinent IV and then when you need IV fluids it makes it easier. Honestly I hope that it dosent get that bad. It terrifies me that I could really be that sick because I have never been really sick my whole life.

On a happier note the doppler picked up the babies heartbeats. Baby A is at 144 BPM and Baby B is 140 BPM!!! She said those were great strong heartbeats and they seem to be doing good. I was bummed I didn't get another ultrasound but I get one at 12 weeks!!!

So now I'm suposed to drink as much water as possible and sleep as much as possible which isn't hard since the meds they have me on make me soooooo drowsy!

:hugs: Awe....I really do hope you get over all the sickness soon hun so you can enjoy your pregnancy... :hugs:

Hope you feel better soon.

How appauling they suggested to terminate!

Awwww FairyGirl, I feel your pain. I have hyperemesis gravidarum too! I spent quite a bit of time in an out of the hospital between 6-14 weeks. This past month things have gotten much better. For some women it does last the whole pregnancy but mine seems to be easing as I hope yours will too hun :hugs:.

I can't give much advice as to what will definitely work but perhaps a few ideas as to what may help ease it (if your doc hasn't said the same thing already). I found eating in very small portions and often helped. I stuck to dry foods like cereal and crackers and stayed away from fruits and veggies for a bit. I also tried to stay in cool places and avoid the heat or walking in the heat too much.

I know it's very draining and your days feel like they are merging hun but I think in time you will definitely feel better, there is a light at the end of the tunnel :hugs:

Check out this website: https://www.hyperemesis.org/
I found it super helpful

Thanks Mango its so nice to know that someone else has this problem too even if its the most horrible thing I have ever been through. Did you doc have you on meds or anything for it? Mine has me on the Phenergan which seemed to help the first day I was home from the hospital but so far its not really doing much but making me tired and there is nothing worse than being tired and throwing up at the same time.

My doc did tell me to do the small meal thing which well when I can eat I try. I really cant do crackers anymore, they hurt too much coming back up :( I have been trying to stick to broth and mashed potatoes because they are bland but even those I cant keep down for very long. I tried flavored water but that isn't helping. One site I was on said not to suck on hard candy because of excess saliva so thats out..... I'm really just running out of options. Ive gotten to the point where I just cant eat.

Yesterday I managed to choke down a piece of dry toast and some broth in about a 12 hour period. I was throwing up more than I was taking in. I have to sip on water throughout the day or I get so weak and dehydrated that I pass out. I'm starting to think this is not going to be a fun pregnancy. I'm terrified that I'm going to end up back in the hospital again. Honestly I feel better on the IV than I do at home trying to take care of myself.

I haven't been to that site yet so I will check it out. Thanks hun!

I know what you mean FairyGirl it definitely can be very scary. If you are having trouble keeping down food at all over 3 days you should ring your MW and let them know because it may be best to admit you again.

Are you taking prenatal vitamins? I remember my doc saying that if you were able to keep those down then it's better than nothing.

Also I know this sounds funny but what about thick liquids like milkshakes, smoothies, yogurt. Those helped my tummy a lot because they were not difficult to digest or eat and they pack more substance than plain ol' water

My doc did have me on meds. I just recently stopped taking them. I had some tablets, similar to "Gravol" but a bit stronger, which I had to take every 4 hours. They did make a big difference though I was drowsy all the time. See if your doc can recommend something for you.

Let us know how it goes hun!

Yeah I'm taking over the counter prenatals that don't have such a strong smell or taste to them. I haven't thought about the milkshake thing I might give that a try.

Honestly my hubby keeps saying he wants me to go back in to the hospital but I just hate being there. I'm terrified that I will be stuck there for longer than I want to be. Today will be 3 days since I was released so I will see if I can eat anything today but so far I haven't been able to keep anything down and its only 9:30 am. I'm suposed to be helping my mum set up for my sisters birthday party and I'm about ready to cancel on her. I'm barely even strong enough to get out of bed. (thank god for my lap top!)

This has just been one heck of a week and I don't feel much better even with the medicine.

Hi Fairy Girl. I was also diagnosed with HG and it has been pretty terrible. Every time I go in they test me for dehydration. I wasn't able to keep ANYTHING down. For a week I didnt even try to eat. And when I tried to drink, I was throwing up the little liquids I did drink, and stomach acid. It was terrible. I was taking Phenergan but after not feeling better for a bit, they switched me to Zofran. It made me much less drowsy, and helped more. They also suggested I take childrens complete vitamins instead of prenatal for now, because the prenatal can make you nauseas. How far along are you again? Hopefully it will get better for you. So far, I feel a little bit better each day. I'm still exhausted and feel more sick in the mornings and evenings, but it's not nearly as bad as before. I felt like I was never going to get better. Good luck. O, one other thing my OB suggested was getting like Sea Bands used for motion sickness and helps with morning sickness nausea. =)

Hi there, I have HG as well and it was pure hell for me. I was basically stuck on the floor with my head in a bucket. The fact that you can actually go online and write and look for support is great. I couldn't even watch tv!

I was on phenergan and zofran, tablets when I could manage them, and suppositories when I couldn't manage the tablets. The drugs make you drowsy and they would also make my legs twitch, very weird.

I do recommend the sea bands, I have only just recently taken mine off. Even if it is just psychological, they worked to some extent for me.

My doctor had me calling everyday to report what I was able to drink and eat, so they monitored me pretty closely.

I have never ever been so sick in my life and I wouldn't have wished it on my worst enemy. I did actually think about terminating the pregnancy, or just wishing and hoping that I would fall into a coma for the remainder of the pregnancy so I wouldn't have to deal with the nausea.

There is a reason the doctor asks if you have had thoughts of suicide, because frankly, when you feel this bad you really just want to jump off a building just to make the pain stop.

The days do melt into one another like the girls say, but trust me, it will be over, there is a light at the end of that horrible tunnel. Of course I didn't believe my husband when he was saying this would pass, because every day was the same horrible horrible day over and over again.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm quite bitter about having been so sick at the beginning of my pregnancy. I'm much better now. But don't hesitate to go to the hospital and/or call your doctor.

And isn't it amazing how the baby/babies inside are just fine and dandy when we are soooo sick? Truly amazing stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->