scan letter opinions pls - UPDATED

georgebaby1

Reaction score
Hi ladies I just re reading my appointment letter for my scan tomorrow and im pretty shocked. So as im plus size I have to see a consultant (personally thought was a waste of time last pregnancy) anyway I expected it as it was the same last pregnancy. However what I didn't expect was to have to wait 2 hrs to see a consultant. So my scan letter says "please be aware you may be waiting up to 2hrs after your scan to see a consultant" is it just me that finds this really un reasonable as im having the nuchal testing and bloods etc and they never run on time im expecting to be there about an hour as it is without having to wait 2 hr to see a consultant for them just to tell me the same crap they told me last pregnancy. Surely they cant really expect people to wait for 2hrs??

Can you change it? I Had my scan last week and consultant appt is next week. X w

I would say they r just preparing you for the worst. If the clinic is running really behind if MIGHT be 2 hours but thats probably worst case scenario.

Im from sheffield area and im hoping its a worse case scenario but im having to take my son as our chikdminder is on holiday and dont want my son having to stay that long

Yea they don't tell u much was sat for 45 mins to be told a pile of crap I can understand if ur 1st or big age gap they only tell u you get a scan at 20 weeks because I'm plus side last time I found my scan women moody and pretty rude cause I'm larger or maybe she was having a crap day took my lo she goes well u have to get baby sitter as u not aloud to take them to next scan was like ok I could not find baby sitter

I find the fact that UK sends plus sized women to a consultant when they are pregnant is such a ridiculous insult. This really bothers me. Worse they gonna make u wait 2 hours LOL wat a joke. What happens if u refuse the consultant? Will u not be allowed to have your baby? Honestly, its the stupidest thing I have ever heard. What are they consulting u about. Oh hello your pregnant & fat, ok. End of? Madness! I'm sorry you are subjected to this hun

I don't know what would happen if I refused a consultant but if im waiting 2hrs we might find out lol. I was under consultant care last time and they basically just tell u as your overweight your not gna have a successful labour may need a c section etc and just worry you tbh. last time as was my first lo it really upset me with all the risks etc but I had a great pregnancy and im not saying weight may not contribute to some factors but I think most of it is bull as my sil had pre eclampsia and got diabetes and she isn't classed as overweight yet my bmi classes me as obese had no issues at all and had a natural birth I guesss I just don't want to wait that long to be told same crap I was told last time im already aware of. my mw gave me the bmi high leaflet and even the leaflet is exactly the same as 3 year ago when I was pregnant with my son.

Its a waste of time, I was made to have a consultant last time because I was classed as underweight. They tried to get me to have a nutritionist after they accused me of being anorexic. When I was definatley not THAT underweight and I had noooo problem eating. I think they should be optional. I had a consultant apt and scan every month and all they did was come up with all these things that were "wrong" with my pregnancy. "He has a very large head, you have too much water you must have gestational diabetes, hes too small he'll be 5lb or less". I gave birth to a very healthy 7lb 15oz normal headed baby :thumbup: I definatly wouldn't wait 2 hours to see one at all, especially for a 5 minute appointment where they will just tell you the same as last time x

I would complain. I have my consultant appointment the day before my scan, so that is two trips to the hospital and paying £5 for two 20 minute stays! With DS 7 years ago I was 20stone I think, but I wasn't consultant lead, so why I am this time is beyond me and why has it changed in the last 7 years? From what you guy have said it is a waste of time and if something does go wrong they can't really stop it now can they? I think the NHS just like wasting money instead of hiring more midwives and letting us see them more!

I'm high risk and consultant led... I was same in my last pregnancy and most of the times i had my appointments i would be easily waiting 1.30 - 2 hours to see 'my consultant', and it was never my consultant id see it would be his registrar or some random Dr who id never met before and they wouldn't even have anything to tell me, they would come in ask if i had any questions, sign my notes and leave !!! It was totally pointless... This pregnancy my consultant appointments are on different days from my scans and im under a new consultant, hopefully i get to meet this 1 or if i don't hopefully her clinics aren't always running late :shrug:

I'm high risk and consultant led... I was same in my last pregnancy and most of the times i had my appointments i would be easily waiting 1.30 - 2 hours to see 'my consultant', and it was never my consultant id see it would be his registrar or some random Dr who id never met before and they wouldn't even have anything to tell me, they would come in ask if i had any questions, sign my notes and leave !!! It was totally pointless... This pregnancy my consultant appointments are on different days from my scans and im under a new consultant, hopefully i get to meet this 1 or if i don't hopefully her clinics aren't always running late :shrug:

omg that's ridiculous last time I did get the same consultant but it were literally a waste of time they just told me a load of risk factors asked me to try on sum socks lmao to make sure my legs aren't too fat for socks and had an aneastetic person check my back to make sure they could find it incase of an epidural (which I didn't have)

I don't know what would happen if I refused a consultant but if im waiting 2hrs we might find out lol. I was under consultant care last time and they basically just tell u as your overweight your not gna have a successful labour may need a c section etc and just worry you tbh. last time as was my first lo it really upset me with all the risks etc but I had a great pregnancy and im not saying weight may not contribute to some factors but I think most of it is bull as my sil had pre eclampsia and got diabetes and she isn't classed as overweight yet my bmi classes me as obese had no issues at all and had a natural birth I guesss I just don't want to wait that long to be told same crap I was told last time im already aware of. my mw gave me the bmi high leaflet and even the leaflet is exactly the same as 3 year ago when I was pregnant with my son.

Please tell me your joking! They actually tell you that bullshit? Not sure what my weight is in stone but I'm around 280 lbs. Was pregnant with my first I was about 225 lbs at 19 years old. Never had a c sec, never had gestational diabetes, very successful labor & delivery 4 times. Even at this weight I'm not classed as high risk at all. This makes me so angry! Now I understand y British women are so paranoid about weight. Its simply not tru that being overweight makes u high risk. I couldn't do it, I would tell them to go chuck off somewhere deep.

I had to see Consultants (or rather be poked & prodded by junior doctors & medical students) last time due to being overweight. It was the biggest waste of time ever. This time I am fully intending to refuse. Obviously if there are any concerns over my health or the baby then I will see them, but last time me & the baby were completely healthy. It's your choice, only go if you want to!

You can turn down the appointment. I've got to be consultant led which has p!ssed me off beyond anything but after some research I found I can abstain from the appointment and my notes will read that I did that.
Could you contact your MW team and talk to them saying you understand what will be said but its unreasonable for you to be waiting that long when you are unhappy about it.

UPDATE : i was waiting 2 hr 20 between my scan and and appointment i didnt see a consultant just a mw telling me what will happen etc i asked if i had to be under consultant care and she said yes. Im going to look into it further i think as im aware of the risks etc and the mw even said nothings changed since my last pregnancy. I was in there 10 mins for thus chat then sent on my merry way. Good news though baby was great and measuring at 13w1d

wonderful news about the pregnancy coming along well! I really would look into it further. I mean what kind of barbaric ostrasizing is this? I am very vocal about plus sized women not getting treated as if they had some"disease" or were different in some way. Like ok, rail thin women are probably such a small minority and are not necessarily in a better position health wise. I was never made to feel I am different, in life, in growing up or in any way shape or form and it literally breaks my heart to see this kind of thing happen. Like pregnancy isnt hard enough, you also have to go through that? No way!

in my area in the UK everyone gets consultant and midwifery led care, last time i went at 17 weeks, they used a fetal doppler, took my BP and measured my height, weight and bmi- was pretty useless but i think i'd rather go to them and take all the precautions rather than not at all - next time i go is at 34 weeks!

I just think if you're offered certain treatment you should take it happily, lots of women all over the world have no healthcare atall! x

(they also said waiting time could be 2 hours, i only waited for 15 mins)

I had dibetics with all 3 of my kids and I had to go every week to see a consultant and wait hours to be told everything was fine not once was anything wrong I got induced at 38 weeks and all my labours been easy think my last he flew out lol but with my 3rd baby I decided to no go to the consultant until was about 28 weeks I knew what I was doing and cost too much had my daughter to look after having to wait hours with a board child they make u feel like ur some criminal way they treat u it's like ur fat but why are u not eating breakfast well I felt sick and did not wanna eat wud end up throwing it bk up lol

I mean if you are genuinely high risk I say absolutely take all the health care and help you can get. I just dont think being overweight or fat or whatever term is a "high risk" factor in reference to pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->