Scan next week - still undecided!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Finsmummy, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Finsmummy

Finsmummy Mum to 2 boys

I really don't know whether to find out the sex or not. My DH wants to know but I am worried how I will feel. What made you make a decision? I need help please ladies! x

2. Zodiac

Zodiac Pregnant with #2

I found out for my 1st child, and plan on doing the same for this one. I just like to be prepared. It is so nice when you can put "boy" or "girl" on the baby shower invitation, I can start decortaing the nursery, decide on a name, plus I feel more bonding when I know I have my little girl, or my little boy in my belly.

3. tweedy

tweedy Well-Known Member

i want to know, we did with my daughter and it just made things more real. if you are undecided, i would hold off, you can't take it back once you know and if you change your mind later and want to find out, you can book a private scan. i said i would wait this time, but can't wait any lomger, just want to know, although we'll not tell anyone else.

if you are worried about finding out the sex and it not being what you wanted, it's very common, and believe me, no matter how shocked and maybe disappointed you may feel, you will not love baby any less and will laugh about how you felt in a few weeks.

4. letshaveababy

letshaveababy Mommy of 4!!

With my first 2, we didn't find out. Our third we found out, and this one we are going to as well! As much as I loved having that surprise when he/she is born, I REALLY want to start buying pink or blue!

5. momof2bb

momof2bb Well-Known Member

With BB2 hubby asked the scan lady the gender and kept if for himself. He is good at keeping secret.

You still have time to make up your mind. My Ob said ask or not the gender won't change it's a boy or a girl LOL

6. Finsmummy

Finsmummy Mum to 2 boys

Ha that is true. We find out sooner or later don't we?!

7. momof2bb

momof2bb Well-Known Member

You are not alone. Mine is Friday still don't know... I will follow the instant emotion at the scan...

8. fides

fides Well-Known Member

I was up in the air at the beginning of this pregnancy. The thing that really helped me decide not to find out was hearing about how special the experience is of having your DH/OH tell you what your healthy, born baby is. I mean, i know all births are special, but to have waited so long to find out, to use the wanting to know what it is as a motivation during labor, and then to have my DH tell me after all the pain what we had is something that I am honestly looking forward to. Plus, I love going back and forth with the daydreams of what the child i am carrying will be like. The other deciding factor for me was knowing friends who were disappointed after finding out what they were having - they were really let down (some weren't even looking forward to the birth that much), and i think that if i wait and see that the baby is healthy and kicking, i really won't care which it is.

I agree with the other poster though who said that if you're not ready, you can just say no for now, and if you want to change your mind later, you can always do a private scan. Good luck coming to the decision that works best for you and your family.

9. new_mum

new_mum Well-Known Member

I'd advise you to ask the sonographer to write the sex down on a piece of paper and seal it in an envelope for you. Do not open it and leave it for a week or two, if you want to know open it id you don't you can stick in through a shredder and you'll never know until baby arrives.

I didn't ask at my scan and now I'm busting to know :(

10. Finsmummy

Finsmummy Mum to 2 boys

This is exactly how I feel! The fantasizing about a boy or girl and what each would be like.

11. Finsmummy

Finsmummy Mum to 2 boys

What a great idea. I may just do this.