Scan shows 2w+ behind!!!!

TattyHead

Reaction score
Hi,
I had my 2nd scan today at 7w6d, everything looked good saw the baby for the first time & saw a heartbeat too, however the sonographer has put me as 5-6 weeks pregnant.
I'm seriously worried as I know exactly when I conceived, & I cannot possibly be behind 2 weeks...

I didn't have an internal scan & the nurse in the early pregnancy unit has said because of this it won't be as accurate, has anyone else had this?
I go back for another scan in 2 weeks!

I don't have any experience with this but I have heard when that early internal is the most accurate! Don't worry yourself crazy baby was there with a hb!!

I'm sorry to say so but if you're sure of your dates then measuring 2 weeks behind this early is a bad sign unfortunately. I'm so sorry to be so negative but I was in that situation last winter, measuring a week behind what I knew my dates to be at 8 weeks. People kept telling me not to worry and it might be late implantation or an inaccurate scan. But the truth is, scans around that time, even abdominal, are only usually "off" by 5 days the most. And implantation can be late but again, only by a matter of days. I spent another 4 weeks until my 12 week scan hoping that everything was ok and trying to be positive, only to be told that baby never grew beyond 9.5 weeks and had no heartbeat. I wish now is prepared myself for that possibility, because the shock would have been less severe I think. Maybe you could see if they can see you in a week instead of two? That should give you a pretty definite answer and it wouldn't be as much time spent agonising. I wish you the very best and really, really hope I'm wrong.

I have no real experience but my first thought was that the scan seemed to show a lot for 5 weeks, when ive booked private scans before ive not gone for before 8 weeks as i'd be worried about not seeing anything so that seems like a lot

1) I am really surprised that they pickd up baby AND heartbeat at 5-6 weeks. I have never heard any one have a successful abdominal scan that early.
2) My OB's place always mention everything in terms of Fetus age not gestational. I had a lot of confusion because of this.

My 5w6d scan only showed a pregnancy sac & yolk, so they're happy it's progressing & I wouldn't have thought they'd see baby & heartbeat at 5-6 weeks.
I wish I hadn't had the scan in a way because now I'm more nervous!!
I'm annoyed they didn't do an internal scan because of how early I am, & I'm a big girl & I'd had no water either...it's nerve racking enough as it is. My EPU nurse wasn't impressed & has said the next scan she will make sure is internal.

I had an abdominal scan at 7 weeks and they dated me at 6 weeks. I think if they were able to see on your tummy then they can't get the exact crl as baby is so small. Lots of love xx

Thanks Kimmy, I'm feeling a little more calm now I've had time to think about it. I think my sonographer just wanted me in & out as quickly as possible, so I'll just have to take each day as it comes until the next scan.

& ill consider this horrendous, every minute, of every hour, of every day nausea a good sign.. :dohh:

Thanks Kimmy, I'm feeling a little more calm now I've had time to think about it. I think my sonographer just wanted me in & out as quickly as possible, so I'll just have to take each day as it comes until the next scan.

& ill consider this horrendous, every minute, of every hour, of every day nausea a good sign.. :dohh:

I got that impression too when I had mine. It's especially good if they see the hb. I think the miscarriage rates drop to around 2% (I know it's still a worry)

I totally sympathise with the 24/7 sickness too!!

Will keep everything crossed for your scan in 2 weeks :hugs: xx

I'd say they were telling you the gestational age as opposed to dating from LMP. Google a 7 week fetus and see if it's similar to what you saw, you'd hardly see anything at 5-6 weeks xxxxx

Do you have a scan pic?

5-6 weeks could mean 7-8 weeks pregnant depending on how sonographer dated you. You probably wouldn't see a baby and hb before 6-6.5 weeks
It sounds they don't know what they are doing. Internal is much more accurate at this stage.

She said it wasn't clear enough for a picture, so she refused to take one. The baby & hb showed up straight away, but looked like a blob to me :dohh:..My OH could see the heartbeat flashing though!

It sounds like you are the right dates, 7-8, but they told you conception age not age from lmp. If you could see a blob with a heart beating away its way more than 5-6 weeks. I'll attach my 6w (maybe 6w2d) pic for example.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 7
Then 7 weeks. It's a crapoy scan sorry! But you can see it's a bigger blob

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 4
Baby Bean definitely looked bigger than your 6w in relation to the pregnancy sac :happydance: although it didn't look as clear!

Here is my blob at 7w

Attachments

• IMG_20160413_145122.jpg
    IMG_20160413_145122.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 5
At my 5w6d scan we saw nothing but a completely empty gestational sac. As far as the baby being 5-6 weeks this time, do you think they meant gestational age vs. how far along you are by your LMP? That would account for a 2 week difference. I also think that having an abdominal scan so early could throw things off. I can't say anything from experience, though. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out okay for you and baby. :hugs:

Abdominal scans are not accurate that early on. Don't give up until you're ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->