Scanned booked tomorrow - what should I see?

Buffyx

Expecting #2
Reaction score
According to my last AF I should be 6 weeks and 3 days tomorrow for my first scan. What do you think I should expect to see?

I am SO nervous. Last time I had an ultrasound it was bad news.

Hmmm. In my experience you should see a heartbeat and a little Grey area that will be the baby. There will be technical stuff like yolk sac and fetal pole etc but tbh in my experience it doesn't look like anything but a gray shadow in a black circle (your uterus) I would look for a flickering hb and ask the tech to describe what they are seeing on the screen to ease your mind. Also your baby may measure ahead or behind what u think u might be so don't be too concerned. I hope everything is great for you tmrw!

If anything, I'm expecting I may have implanted late because I didbt get a BFP until a day after AF was due, so thinking I might measure behind?

Thanks for your reply :)

Did u test before that? I don't think that would matter when u got your bfp. Best way to know is tomorrow let them do a transvag u/s and they will measure the fetus. It's probably the most accurate to date your pregnancy. I had a abdominal one recently and it dated me a week off of my lmp but I know it's wrong. Either way as long as there's a little heartbeat we are on the right track! Xx

Well the lady told me to have a full bladder when I go in so I'm assuming it's only abdominal, although I will definitely let them do trans if they ask :)

I tested from 8dpo and didn't get my BFP until 15dpo. Wasted a lot of tests :haha:

If u don't get a transvag they won't be able to get a proper picture of what's going on. Considering u have had a loss I would insist. Just to put your mind at ease cuz it's so early.

I had an abdominal at 6+3 with ds, saw everything we needed to, and I wasn't expecting it so no full bladder (it was about half) and my BMI was over 30, so I was technically "obese".

They don't HAVE to do a TV, unless they have to. Hopefully they can see what they need to with an abdominal :D

BTW, we saw the heartbeat, the fact that there was one baby, the yolk sac, the fetal pole, and a tiny little bean "baby".

Definitely do a trans-vag. I had one last time, around this time and you could barely see anything because it was older equipment. Even with the good machines, they zoom a lot to see the little bean. Good luck! How'd you get a scan so early? I remember you saying you didn't know when you were going in.

I had an abdominal at 6+3 with ds, saw everything we needed to, and I wasn't expecting it so no full bladder (it was about half) and my BMI was over 30, so I was technically "obese".

They don't HAVE to do a TV, unless they have to. Hopefully they can see what they need to with an abdominal :D
They don't HAVE to but based on experience plus the fact the op is nervous about a previous loss it's much more reliable and accurate. It's a hit or miss whether the equipment is good enough to do an early scan. I had a decent abdominal scan too at 7w2days and could see everything but no way was the picture and measurement as accurate as my previous 5 transvag early ones. :) just my experience really.

It's a dating scan. They do them here when your HCG is 1000-1500 apparently!

I called this morning after getting a referral from my doctor yesterday and they had appointments available tomorrow.

I guess I'll have trans if nothing is really happening on the abdominal. I'm also the within the correct bmi range.

Hey Buffy, I'll tell you my experience in qld. I had my scan last week at 6+2. I also didn't get a bfp until 15dpo, one day after af was due.
So when I arrived I filled out a form with my details, they asked for the number of pregnancies I've had and live births. It also asked whether I would allow a transvaginal scan if they needed to do one and I ticked yes.
Went in wanting to pee soooo badly. They did an abdominal scan, I was trying so hard not to pee myself lol. She couldn't see much so asked if I would empty my bladder and they did a transvaginal scan. Much more comfortable!
For me there was only a sac. She said that I was probably 5+2, and that my egg could've taken a week to implant. Then she took pics of everything from all the different angles.
We left really deflated, because everyone I had spoken to had said they had seen a heartbeat at that stage. Now we are just waiting until another scan to see progress.

Good luck!! Xx

Yeah I'm quite nervous about it because if I don't see anything I'll just freak out. Part of me wants to possibly put it off til Monday next week because and then I'll be a whole week further along and probably guaranteed to actually see something.

It's costing me $140..so I'll be annoyed if I have to have another!

Buffy & Lala- I'm exactly the same on all counts. Your stories are literally identical to mine. Down to the bfp and implant and all. I had a scan at the dr at 6+0 (based on lmp) because on some spotting and then at the hospital 6+1 to get on better equipment. Both times saw just a sac with a yolk sac. They say it's totally normal for that date and especially with the longer cycle and later implant. But of course I've been totally freaking since then. Did take a cbwe and got a 3+ on Christmas day so that helped raise my spirits. Hoping it means it's progressing.
Going for another scan on Friday when I'll be 7+4. Really hoping they can see the pole this time.

Does it cost $140 every time in Australia?

No I think if I went to another clinic I could be bulk billed so it'd be free. Where I live, the wait was til the end of January for that, and I want one before then.

I know it's hard to wait , but I think waiting the extra week will save you unessecary worry if you are a bit behind your dates , and you will def see heartbeat then :) I have my scan on the 8th I'll be 11+3 , has been a long wait .

Have you not had one yet at all? I think it is a good idea for me to go on the 5th as well. The lady on the phone agreed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->