Scared of birthing too fast...

CandiceSj

Reaction score
For my first I wished for a quick birth that didn't have me getting an epidural. I really wanted to go fully natural... In the end, I got it and it was a good thing, I was then able to relax and things went smoothly from that moment on until the birth.

For my second I knew I wanted the epidural and it was just the perfect birth, all calm from beginning to end, no stress just meditation, relaxation... When the pain and all that was becoming a lot and I had progressed enough for it, I got the epidural. Again, I was able to just relax and I had him some hours later with just a few pushes.

I obviously want to have an experience similar to my second birth and now I'm scared that it will happen faster and I will not have time for the epidural and will lose control of myself because of the pain and intensity of the experience...

Any words or tips to reassure me? I want to be prepared to deal with that as much as possible IF this is the birthing experience I'm to have.
Thanks!

I had my first baby in the hospital with an epidural, and my second - 9 weeks ago - at home (obviously without one). I was worried I wouldn't be able to handle the contractions' intensity without pain relief and I won't lie, it was a VERY intense experience. But truthfully, when I stopped thinking and just let my body tell me what to do - moan when I needed to moan, even screamed when I needed to scream - I was able to handle it, and it ended up being an incredible experience. He did come fast, too, so I probably couldn't have had an epidural even if I had had a hospital birth, but my midwife helped me slow down my pushing so I didn't tear. But the key for me was to vocalize however I needed to, and to move however I needed to, without any thought to whether people could hear me or what they might think.

Congratulations on your home birth!! :D I will need to keep that in mind, visualize what a quick birth could be like before I'm due and really give myself the OK to be vocal if I need to in my scenarios. Thank you for your comment!!

I think it would be helpful to prepare yourself for a fast labour, just in case; so thinking of things you can do to reassure yourself if you can't get the epidural like breathing exercises, meditation or focusing exercises, whatever you think will work for you. My 3rd labour was quick (1hr 1 minute including delivering the placenta) and although it was quite intense it was a good experience and focusing on my breathing really helped :)

For my first I wished for a quick birth that didn't have me getting an epidural. I really wanted to go fully natural... In the end, I got it and it was a good thing, I was then able to relax and things went smoothly from that moment on until the birth.

For my second I knew I wanted the epidural and it was just the perfect birth, all calm from beginning to end, no stress just meditation, relaxation... When the pain and all that was becoming a lot and I had progressed enough for it, I got the epidural. Again, I was able to just relax and I had him some hours later with just a few pushes.

I obviously want to have an experience similar to my second birth and now I'm scared that it will happen faster and I will not have time for the epidural and will lose control of myself because of the pain and intensity of the experience...

Any words or tips to reassure me? I want to be prepared to deal with that as much as possible IF this is the birthing experience I'm to have.
Thanks!

This is what petrifies me in future labours too.
First birth in active labour was probably around 5 hours then 1 hour pushing
2nd pregnancy a bit of early labour very irregular and didn't hurt. I didn't know I was in labour. Waters broke contractions for about 7 mins then started crowning. Born in the bathroom at home with no medical assistance!

As long as you have enough time to get to hospital which I'm sure you will I wouldn't worry! Xx

Although I will say I found it incredibly intense and I couldn't cope. Obviously I had no choice but to cope but i felt petrified and very shocked after he was born. It took a long time to get over the shock of it all. And honestly I think I would rather have s five hour labour like my first instead of a 20 min one! Xx

Ive never had an epidural but my 1st and 2nd labours were 41 and 22 hours so i thought my 3rd id have a longer labour too but he was only 9 hours. I had him about 2 hours after arriving at the hospital and i found his birth the most intense and painful. ( he was back to back as well though ) when i was told i was 6cm i cried and said i wanted the epidural but it was too late and he came about 20 minutes later! Couldn't believe it..
So im not really sure, im hoping this labour is a little longer because id like a calmer birth this time and want the option to have pain relief or at least be able to get in the shower lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->