scary call from my doctor

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by addie25, Jan 25, 2011.

1. addie25

addie25 Guest

My doctor called and said I am a carrier for cyctic fibrosis. My husband has to get tested and if he is not a carrier I can not pass it to the baby. If he is a carrier we have a 25 percent chance of having a baby with it. I am freaking out rt now and very scared. :cry:

2. mummy2lola

mummy2lola Mum to 2 trying for 3

I'm sure everything will b fine babe,good luck xx

3. crazylilth1ng

crazylilth1ng Well-Known Member

Oh no... how terrible :( I really hope that your hubby is not a carrier!! Good luck with the tests.

4. AFatKindaThin

AFatKindaThin Well-Known Member

sorry to hear that hun. I hope the tests come back in your favour. Keep positive! X x

5. Claudia83

Claudia83 Well-Known Member

I didn't even know about cystic fibrosis until I was pregnant. I'm Hispanic and my husband is white, so all my life, in my family, we never had to worry about this. It was new to me. I haven't heard anything back from my doctor about cystic fibrosis yet, but they sure have taken a lot of blood so I would assume they would've tested me by now since the doctor did ask about my husband.

Best of luck to you dear!

6. addie25

addie25 Guest

I am sure you are fine because both of you need to be carriers. I hope to god my husband is not one and we can just forget about this!

7. MsJMouse

MsJMouse Mum!! : -)

good luck with the tests.

8. AuntBug

AuntBug Mom of one, expecting #2

Try not to worry yourself sick. Happened to my SIL, she drove herself crazy with worry, two weeks later she found out her husband wasn't a carrier. Good luck. :flower:

9. Dancerforlife

Dancerforlife Well-Known Member

:hugs: So sorry to hear this Addie, I hope for the best when you get the results about your husband! Try to think positive!

10. Septie

Septie Well-Known Member

We had a similar scare with our last pregnancy, as we found out almost by chance that my husband was a carrier for a different (potentially lethal, but also fairly common) disease, and the weeks until we found out I wasn't were very very stressful...Most likely, your baby be ok!! But I know how you feel.:hugs:
    May I ask how come you found out you were a carrier? Do they do a genetic test on every pregnant woman?

11. addie25

addie25 Guest

Thanks for letting me know. I hope DH isn't a carrier so I can just relax. I am having a hard time not stressing. I keep crying and my DH is getting mad saying theres no reason for me to be upset. Well I am upset! And hes even waiting to go get the blood work done. He wont go tomorrow so now I wont have results till next week. He said he will go Thursday meaning Ill get results Monday and I am not happy that I have to wait all weekend when I could get them Friday if he would just go tomorrow!

12. AuntBug

AuntBug Mom of one, expecting #2

I can't imagine how hard it is not to go nuts, but odd are in you favor that he's not a carrier. I hope the next few days go by quickly for you :hugs:

13. addie25

addie25 Guest

I hope to get results this week but it all depends on when my DH goes for the test and he is in no rush and thats really frustrating me. He is mad at me for being worried and crying. What a jerk! He is usually very supportive so I am confused and upset that he is reacting like this.

14. PinkP

PinkP Pregnant with my 1st baby

Hope the next few days go quick for you and that everything works out well xxxxx

15. menageriemom

menageriemom Well-Known Member

Your husband is probably very worried inside, and hesitating to go right away may be his way of dealing with it. I'm truly sorry you have to deal with this! But the other ladies are correct, odds are in your favor. :hugs:

16. addie25

addie25 Guest

I hope they are in my favor and I know maybe he is scared but I don't want a husband that shuts me out and yells at me when he gets scared. We should work together. Whats going to happen if one day our child gets hurt or one day they get sick and he starts to yell and not be supportive. It's nottttt ok. I am also not used to this my dad neverrrrrrrr acted like this. He always was rt there for my mom giving her support. My DH usually is great with me and I hope this is not how he is going to be with dealing with problems regarding our child.

17. breavis

breavis Pregnant with baby #4

I too am a carrier and had the same thoughts and feelings. My husband went in to get tested and he isn't a carrier so we had nothing to worry about. I hope everything works out for you.