Sch group (Subchorionic Hematoma)

Mumof42009

Mum Of 4 Preemie's
Reaction score
Thought i would set this group up for all us ladies who have been diagnosed with having a sch so we can support each other and ask each other for advice.
I had a sch bleed diagnosed at 13 wks after i had a massive bleed in middle of asda (what a place to have it), scans ive had after have shown that its got bigger. I was told the bleed can either absorb into my body, bleed throughout the pregnancy, i have small amounts of bleeding since. Im already at risk from pre-term delivery so this just adds to get.
Share you stories ladies look forward to meeting you all :hugs:

Subchorionic Bleeding During Pregnancy
Sometimes, blood clots form within the layers of the placenta. But more often than not, they heal themselves.
What it is: Also called subchorionic hematoma, subchorionic bleeding is the accumulation of blood within the folds of the chorion (the outer fetal membrane, next to the placenta) or within the layers of the placenta itself. These bleeds, or clots, can cause the placenta to separate from the uterine wall if they get too large, if they develop in a bad spot, or if they aren’t eventually reabsorbed.

How common is it? A good 20 percent of pregnant women will experience some kind of bleeding early in pregnancy, though it’s often hard to tell what’s causing the problem. Subchorionic hematomas are even harder to pick up because they don’t always result in noticeable spotting or bleeding, especially when they’re small.

Who is most at risk? There don’t seem to be any specific risk factors for developing a subchorionic hematoma in the first place, but if you do wind up with one, there are factors that can make you more — or less — likely to have a positive outcome.

What are the symptoms? Spotting or bleeding may be a sign, often beginning in the first trimester. But many subchorionic bleeds are detected during a routine ultrasound, without there being any noticeable signs or symptoms.

Should you be concerned? You wouldn’t be normal if you didn’t worry when you see blood, no matter when it occurs in your pregnancy. And that’s actually a good thing, especially if it prompts you to get in touch with your practitioner, who can make sure there’s nothing amiss. While most subchorionic hematomas dissolve on their own, it is possible for the clot to get in between the placenta and the uterine wall, resulting in miscarriage.

Here’s the encouraging news: More than half of women who bleed during their first trimester go on to have perfectly healthy pregnancies. But because subchorionic hematomas have been linked to increased risk of placental abruption and preterm labor, you don’t want to ignore signs of spotting or bleeding.

What you should do: Call your practitioner; an ultrasound may be ordered to see whether there is indeed a hematoma, how large it is, and where it’s located. Depending on the findings, as well as on your practitioner’s preferences, he or she may put you on strict bed rest, insist you refrain from lifting heavy objects, and avoid exercise. In most cases, you’ll be asked to avoid sexual intercourse until the hematoma dissolves and disappears.

Hiya!!

What a wonderful idea for a group. I had a massive bleed and diagnosed on week 6 and I am still on bed rest now (week 12)

XXXX

Hi everyone:) Im jennifer, and this is baby #5 for us. I was at my 11 yr olds baseball game 3 weeks ago and started to hemorrhage. We went to the emergency room and they did an ultrasound, luckily baby was wiggling all over with a strong heartbeat but I was diagnosed with a sch measuring 9 cm x 6 cm. My midwife took me off work,no lifting anything,and modified bedrest. Since the intial bleed I have had 2 more smaller ones, and weekly u/s. As of yesterday my bleed was down to 4.5cm:) The midwife told me my odds of preterm labor and prom is increased if the bleed doesnt go away completely, Im praying it keeps healing like it has been. I also started having painful contraction last week, so Ive been spending alot more time chillin on the couch lately but with a 16 mth old thats easier said than done. I hope we all have alot of wonderful sch success stories to talk about:)

so glad you start to do this girls!!! (Btw i am a moderator here at BnB ) ...

10 days ago wake up to find that i had stain my bed ( 2 big stains ) during the night ...i call my doctor and went to take my shower ...in the shower i lost a huge clots and start to bleed...after that i had bleeding on and off but a major one last saturday and i went to the ER ( emergency hospital here in san francisco ) and was there from 10 pm to 3 am ..they took me right away and baby was fine...they could not eplain my bleeding so...
Anyway on the tuesday of the following week i went for my screening test scan ( should mention i stop to bleed on the monday mid afternoon ) where we find out we are having a baby boy:)...they also notice a "mass of blood " behind the placenta ...i got the called from my doctor on wednesday letting me know i had ScH...she told there is nothing i can do but just wait to see if the clot will get reabsorb ...

this waiting game is killing me i must said ...at least i am not bleeding just having some random brown discharge ...

i wish for us the best outcome ladies ...we should be available to enjoy our pregnancy by now !!!but for us it;s be so difficult to relax..

Bumbn3gals: It must have been so scary having a bleed in the middle of a super market! Where you alone? Do you still get red or brown bleeding? Are you on some sort of bed rest? :hugs:

Jennifer34rn: So positive that the clot has reduced in size, its almost half of what it was, I think that probably by week 20 it will resolve. I admire you for having 4 kids at home your hands are full!!! Hope that was the last of the contractions and that you will recover asap and enjoy your pregnancy! Is your DH helping you out at home now that you are on bedrest? :hugs:

Miel: the initial diagnosis is shocking, I was very upset when they told me and I read about SCHs. It just felt so unfair that I had to go through this. I had brown bleeding for weeks upon weeks after my initial bleeding. My doctor warned me that this would be the case and that I will either bleed the clot out or it will be reabsorved. TMI now but I had clot like brown dischardge as well as active brown bleeding flow.
Dont despair, you may find that your hematoma is reduced a lot on your next scan, when are you going to your doctors again?:hugs:
Also, question to all of you ladies, do you have ultrasounds weekly or two -weekly??

Big hugs and best wishes to all of us for speedy recovery! :hug:

Well thought Id best pop in and say hi!:hi:
Im Emma,I had brown discharge around week 5,scan showed baby and HB doing fine :) no reason for the bleeding.Had to go back for a viability scan 2 weeks later but I had a MAJOR bleed inbetween then,went to A+E,cervix was closed,doc was reassured I was ok as I had this in my previous pregnancy.
Scan showed baby doing just fine,and a large 'blood mass' which was the cause for the bleeding.
around week 9 I had another VERY heavy bleed but once again scan showed baby doing fine :) and clot had reduced in size...they said only to phone EPU from now on if there was heavy red flow for a long period of time,clots or severe pain,otherwise wait until my dating scan.
Ive had one more heavy red bleed since then but brown on and off constantly...scan on wed so praying for good news [-o<

I'll just add...when I was pregnant with my 1st they gave me no information/advice AT ALL of what the 'clot' was or how to help it...I was left to 'get on with it' luckily it resolved itself by week 12-although I did have LO 7weeks early,so I'm wondering if it was a contributor to having a prem.however it was never mentioned as a factor!

Bumbn3gals: It must have been so scary having a bleed in the middle of a super market! Where you alone? Do you still get red or brown bleeding? Are you on some sort of bed rest? :hugs:

I had bleeding before at 11 weeks just thought was spotting so carried on as normal and i was out with my mum, dd all of a sudden felt wet looked down blood everywhere i managed to get to the toilet i was just covered. Had to get my mum to go buy me some new stuff to put on. I was put on complete bed rest but found it so hard having the 3 girls plus being at college so been carrying on as normal, been having brown spotting but few weeks ago had red blood again. Im on aspirin as have a clotting problem with my blood which sends me into pre-term labour, I get so scared at times im willing my little man to stay as long as possible. Has anyone joined the group on yahoo? xx
Ive added some information at the top of the page if anybody wants to add anymore feel free to.
I am supposed to have scans every 2 weeks my last scan was cancelled because the hospital never had my notes (i'd transferred hospitals due to bad experience), i feel they arnt taking it with much seriousness as emma said on her post im 100% this is why i had abruptions in the past as i bleed all the way through with all of my other children.

Well thought Id best pop in and say hi!:hi:
Im Emma,I had brown discharge around week 5,scan showed baby and HB doing fine :) no reason for the bleeding.Had to go back for a viability scan 2 weeks later but I had a MAJOR bleed inbetween then,went to A+E,cervix was closed,doc was reassured I was ok as I had this in my previous pregnancy.
Scan showed baby doing just fine,and a large 'blood mass' which was the cause for the bleeding.
around week 9 I had another VERY heavy bleed but once again scan showed baby doing fine :) and clot had reduced in size...they said only to phone EPU from now on if there was heavy red flow for a long period of time,clots or severe pain,otherwise wait until my dating scan.
Ive had one more heavy red bleed since then but brown on and off constantly...scan on wed so praying for good news [-o<

I'll just add...when I was pregnant with my 1st they gave me no information/advice AT ALL of what the 'clot' was or how to help it...I was left to 'get on with it' luckily it resolved itself by week 12-although I did have LO 7weeks early,so I'm wondering if it was a contributor to having a prem.however it was never mentioned as a factor!

Hiya Hun

Glad you joined us xx

my next appoitement with my doctor is not before July 1th an the one where i have a fancy scan part of my screening test is not before July 16th...

i e mail my doctor regarding this asking why i should wait this long to be seing again...she said she wants to make sure there is a big difference in size by then so she prefer to wait longer ...

here in USA they do not recomand bed rest :(....but i am trying to take it really easy anyway....

i totally agree with emma2810 i feel like we are kind of left on our own with this....the doctors have the wait and see approach ...it's so unfair...

hope everyone will have a great week end...! the weather is fabulous in San Francisco today!!!

my next appoitement with my doctor is not before July 1th an the one where i have a fancy scan part of my screening test is not before July 16th...

i e mail my doctor regarding this asking why i should wait this long to be seing again...she said she wants to make sure there is a big difference in size by then so she prefer to wait longer ...

here in USA they do not recomand bed rest :(....but i am trying to take it really easy anyway....

i totally agree with emma2810 i feel like we are kind of left on our own with this....the doctors have the wait and see approach ...it's so unfair...

hope everyone will have a great week end...! the weather is fabulous in San Francisco today!!!

Hi there

The approach in the UK was the same, they were like if a pregnancy is strong enough to last it will last regardless. I just couldnt deal with the thought of leaving things to chance that is why I came back home, in hope that I will help the baby.

Its really bad that there isnt much support generally for SCHs even though it is not uncommon. I find that there are a lot of girs here in Bnb that are not even told of their problems, and just by reading their posts it is obvious they have SCHs. Also there is no word of recommendations or precautions from doctors at all. It really scares me!

Anyway,on another note, the weather here was lovely this weekend, and my mum and dad took me down to the beach today with the car and had an hour or two relaxing looking at endless blue colours, it was lovely

I hope you all had lovely blood free weekends ladies XX

I had bleeding before at 11 weeks just thought was spotting so carried on as normal and i was out with my mum, dd all of a sudden felt wet looked down blood everywhere i managed to get to the toilet i was just covered. Had to get my mum to go buy me some new stuff to put on. I was put on complete bed rest but found it so hard having the 3 girls plus being at college so been carrying on as normal, been having brown spotting but few weeks ago had red blood again. Im on aspirin as have a clotting problem with my blood which sends me into pre-term labour, I get so scared at times im willing my little man to stay as long as possible. Has anyone joined the group on yahoo? xx
Ive added some information at the top of the page if anybody wants to add anymore feel free to.
I am supposed to have scans every 2 weeks my last scan was cancelled because the hospital never had my notes (i'd transferred hospitals due to bad experience), i feel they arnt taking it with much seriousness as emma said on her post im 100% this is why i had abruptions in the past as i bleed all the way through with all of my other children.

In answer to your question about the yahoo group, yes I am registered there, I dont post, just lurking reading the info. It is a fab group I highly recommend it

I hope your hospital gets their act together, sounds pretty bad that they lost the notes! X
x

Im a member of the yahoo group and I love it:) My midwife is awesome, she told me to go on modified bedrest immediately to give the baby the best chance of survival, and she does weekly u/s to keep an eye on the sch...did you know bedrest has been shown to drop the miscarriage rate from 25% to 8%?? That seems like an awesome statistic to me.
Ive also noticed alot of women talking about bleeding but their dr.s dont send them for a u/s or diagnose the sch...I shocked how often it seems to happen. Ive read stories and alot of dr.s have told women to abort and try again because of the sch...how ridiculous...and heartless!!

Hi All,

I am 10 weeks 3 days today. I went for a dating scan (private) last week as the local hospital couldn't offer me an appointment until 9 July when I will be 15 weeks. I should see a consultant then as well but I am not holding my breath.

This is a precious pregnancy as I had a m/c in 2004, had my son in 2005 and this is the first pregnancy since then. I am also 42 which is worrying me no end.

Anyway at the scan last week (FMC in London) they told me I have a retroplacental haematoma high on the left hand side of the pregnancy sac. I have not had any bleeding but they said because of where it is located than I might not. The haematoma is 39mm x 14mm which seems HUGE to me given that the baby was only measuring 31.4mm CRL. I was not told an awful lot else other than it is a risk to the pregnancy and that it might resolve itself.

I am now completely terrified as I made the mistake of trying to find out more on the net. It is basically all doom and gloom. It seems that SCH's tend to have a more favourable outcome that RPH's. It is pretty much all I can think about right now, day and night and every twinge worries me.

I saw my MW this morning for a booking-in appointment and told her about the RPH, gave her the report from the FMC and she was quite dismissive of it, it seemed to me. She did not say I should take it easy or anything else, just that I should ring her if I have a bleed or get bad cramps. She said I would not even know about the RPH if I had not had the scan last week. Yeah. Great. But I do know.

I am going for another scan at the FMC on 18 June and am hoping that the haematoma will have resolved itself but if I am totally honest with myself, I am not feeling that hopeful about things. I just wish there was a bit more reasssuring information out there.

You ladies who have been put on bedrest, are you lying down most of the time? Or resting by not doing too much. I have my 4 year old to take care of and a job to do as well. Luckily I can work from home, but is sitting at my computer "restful" or should I really be lying down when possible? Just wondering.

Thanks for your stories though. They do help a bit and this group makes me realise I am not totally on my own in this situation.

:hug: to you all

sitting down at your desk is considered resting. We dont have to be laying down unlike women with incompetent cervix's. I have a 16 mth old so Im trying to sit on the couch and read books to him,and have him bring toys to the couch so we can play together. Its not easy but its working:) The biggest thing my midwife said was no lifting,and absolutely no sex. Your not alone, and I hope we can share many success stories:hug:

i own a flower shop so you see it's difficult for me to be on bed rest...but i try to reduce the amount of work and lifting by 50 to 70%...it's not easy...

i have no more bleeding since last monday except brownish discharge...so taking this as a good sign...

have you notice girls but everytime i had a bleed big or not i never had cramps with them...what about you ?

Im having the opposite problems, tons of cramps that feel just like bad contractions (after having 4 kids I know what a real contraction feels like) I saw my midwife today and she is continuing the bedrest indefinately because everytime I stand up I start getting the cramps. I have my level 2 u/s tomorrow and she is having them measure my cervix because she is worried about it shortening. She has a feeling that I might end upon meds to stop preterm labor in the future.

Im having the opposite problems, tons of cramps that feel just like bad contractions (after having 4 kids I know what a real contraction feels like) I saw my midwife today and she is continuing the bedrest indefinately because everytime I stand up I start getting the cramps. I have my level 2 u/s tomorrow and she is having them measure my cervix because she is worried about it shortening. She has a feeling that I might end upon meds to stop preterm labor in the future.

Good luck with your scan tomorrow Jennifer, let us know how you get on! I hope that the news are good and that your cervix is not shortening! XX

When I had my massive bleeding incident I didnt experience much pain which appeared to me very weird at the time.

Its funny, I usually dont experience any pain when I am bleeding red but I get occasional AF cramps when I am bleeding brown. I assume it has to do with the old blood being stuck inside causing contractions.

I think lack of pains is a good sign, it may depend on size of hematoma and if the hematoma is active or not perhaps? who knows!

X

Bumpn3gals...i just read your thread with your scan update sweetie ...i am so sorry everything did not go as well as you were hoping...

but i am sure your baby boy is a strong one:hugs:i am hoping for the best outcome for your family sweetie...

you mention your hematoma got bigger :cry: did they tell you how big is it?

hang in there sweetie:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->