School and Babies

millerbright

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am just wondering how many of you are currently in school and that is one of the limiting factors that stop you from having ttc. I'm in grad school and I am thinking about having kids after the really extensive coursework is done. (I'll still have some coursework/practicum/internship to do :shock:).

Just wondering what your experiences are and what your plans are if you are intending to try during school.

Thanks Girls!! :dance:

ps. Hope you're having an amazing holiday.

I'm currently in school for my bachelors and in 2 years will be going for my masters as well and this is definately a main reason that I am not TTC just yet... in order for me to get a job as a teacher, these degrees are necessary and I just can't see myself dedicating motherhood and schoolwork all at once. When I have children, I want to dedicate my full attention to them, rather than worry about tests, papers, etc..

I'm a grad student as well, working on my doctorate. By the time we'll ttc, I'll still be writing my thesis. This would work out quite well for us though, as I am relatively flexible with going part-time, working from home, taking time off etc. I know that it's still going to be hard though. A friend of mine (she's a mature student) had her first during her undergrad and is still struggling to get back on track. She's extremely clever and hard-working and still just can't seem to manage the degree on top of her mum-duties. She's a brilliant mum though but still I don't think I would have wanted to sacrifice my degree like that.
How long would you have left to go? Could you take time out? How would childcare work? I don't think it's impossible but I think this kind of thing requires very careful planning so that you don't end up having to drop out.

I finished college last july and am starting Uni in spetember. I have a little boy already so will be hard. But yeah I'm not trying for #2 until I have finished Uni
x

There are lots of us on here still in school.

I'm in the USA. I just finished highschool last year and am about to begin my 2nd semester in college. I go to a community college. Next fall I should be starting the nursng program which will take me another two years. But it's worth it.

Oh is still in school, also. But possibly for only one more year. He's working on a degree as a mechanic, but doesn't think it's what he wants to do the rest of his life. He will most likely go back to school at some point for business management.

So you fit right in here :)

I'm in my first year of college in the UK (year 12) and currently studying for my A-Levels :thumbup:. Nice to see so many of us are in a similar position :flower: xx

I am at University too, doing my bachelor in geography, but I'll surely take longer ebcause I have a getting off my ass to work problem...

I'm at college doing an Access course at the mo as i'm a mature student and messed up my A levels due to health problems :blush: I've just been accepted to go to uni next September to study for BSc Psychology :happydance: I can't wait but at the same time it means that I have to wait just under 4 years until me and my fiance can get married and TTC. *sigh* it's going to be a long wait.

It is taking me longer to because I changed my subjects in between.

I'm doing my degree (BA in Traditional Acupuncture) at the moment - due to finish Aug 1st 2010, but OH going back to uni Sept 2010 - hoping to work stuff out so we can try while he is there - U just can't wait another 4 years lol!

I would TTC now if it wasn't for uni :)

I am in the UK and going down the NVQ route to become an Accountant, I have passed my first year (Foundation) currently in my Intermediate year however will pass that in July and then I will be on to my Technicians Level that could take up to two years, after that I then plan to go on and take the higher qualifications...

Luckily for me if I cannot take the exams I can take them online afterwards so I will not loose out... One of the reasons I am TTC now is because I am not happy in my current job so thinking I can take all my maternity leave whilst here and then once I fully qualify our little one will be old enough to go to nursery so I can go out and find my dream job!

I dont think there is ever a "right time" to have a child so do it when you feel it is right for you! I personally want to have kids while I am young so I can have fun with them and I will have more money to go on posh holidays once they are older so that can wait... however I know others who want to wait and get themselves settled in other aspects of their lives first!

When ever you decide the time is right, enjoy every moment xx

I am in College (first year but took a year out previously to be with my lad) and am waiting until I finish/get to the end of my second year before trying for number 2.

I'm at Uni in the second year of my LLB course ^.^ Got at least another 3 years after Uni before qualifying as a solicitor, and at the moment, my plan is to not start TTC until I'm qualified :(

It sucks :p I don't want to have to wait so long!

DH is finishing his Ph.D. and I am in law school. We've been WTT basically until we get out of school and have a stable income, but are considering at least TTC my last year of school. My friends who have had babies in grad school have made it work. The flexible schedule after course work can make it easier. Having just finished my Ph.D., I can't imagine having a baby while trying to finish the diss only b/c I didn't have to. But I also realize that if I had to do both I would have found a way. I think that anything is possible, you just need a solid plan and you need to be willing to accept that the best laid plans will go awry. One of the girls in my support group had an 8 mnth old who had reoccurring ear infections. She went w/o sleep sometimes, but she finished on time and Sam is happy and healthy.

Not a student at the moment, butI'm thinking of becoming one again! I'd be going back part time (1 day a week) and working 4-5 days. Which would mean I'd be able to manage :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->