School Report

babyrough

Reaction score
We received school reports yesterday, my son is in year 1. I am shocked and upset of the teacher comments in his report- there is not one positive thing about him. They say he gets distracted and rushes his work, and can be unkind to other children - no one has ever come approached me and raised any issues with his behaviour!
We were really excited for his report, he wanted to sit down and me read it out to him (on hindsight I should have read it myself first) but he was so deflated after as there was not one positive thing mentioned about him (of which there are many!) I am so upset. Sorry this is rushed and I haven't got time to write the exact comments that were said right now but I don't know what to do.. should I speak to the teacher? The head? I feel this is very unfair I expected a balanced report including some positives!
Ps. He is at expected level for each subject so no concerns with his actual work

I would approach his teacher first and tell her you are concerned that only negative points about your Son have been put into the report and explain how its affected his confidence and self esteem. If there are issues, they should have approached you, how else can they be addressed otherwise?

Yes you definitely need to have a conversation with his teacher, I’m very surprised she hasn’t contacted you earlier if he is so unsettled, I’d be letting her know it was very unprofessional of her not to raise this with you earlier. If he does in fact have a learning disorder (of course he may not at all but certainly worth considering) then early intervention is so important. To not make any positive comments seems ridiculous!

I think I will speak to her at pickup.
No he doesn't have any issues or learning difficulties etc he is on track for everything and is a lovely confident socialable child who has many friends in and out of school which is why this has really shocked me. I am trying not to feel personal about this but I have never warmed to his teacher this year - I really do feel she singles him out. Thanks for your replies x

I think I will speak to her at pickup.
No he doesn't have any issues or learning difficulties etc he is on track for everything and is a lovely confident socialable child who has many friends in and out of school which is why this has really shocked me. I am trying not to feel personal about this but I have never warmed to his teacher this year - I really do feel she singles him out. Thanks for your replies x

I would call ahead to say you want to speak to her so she can set sone tine aside, you dont want to be stood at the door with her probably wanting to rush off x

I would speak to the teacher, you shouldn't find out through the report, someone should've approached you before then. My son REALLY struggles in school (meltdowns, rage, occasional violence etc) but I'm in very regular contact with the school about this and his report was still 95% positive and highlighted the positives rather than dwelled on the negatives. I would definitely call to have a private chat with her.

Thanks guys I have arranged to speak to her (Well them - he has 2 teachers as they job share) next week

Wow that's shocking! My sister is a primary school teacher and she says that if they have nothing nice to write, then they just don't write anything. So if the report is short and just a sentence or two for each section, then that means that the teacher hasn't got much positive things to say... but I'm shocked they have actually written negative things!
My daughters school reports are always what she can do... So what she has attained and learned and what her next steps are for her learning. There is a section about the childs personal development bt even then, they tend to only write the good bits! All the negative comments get told at parents nights face to face.

I write reports in a preschool, we are told to 'sandwich' negative comments (if we have any) between two positives so sentences always start and end on a positive.

I write reports in a preschool, we are told to 'sandwich' negative comments (if we have any) between two positives so sentences always start and end on a positive.

Exactly...teacher could have written
"Child is full of energy and enthusiasm, this sometimes means he gets distracted and rushes his work, but when he concentrates he can achieve a lot."

Exactly...teacher could have written
"Child is full of energy and enthusiasm, this sometimes means he gets distracted and rushes his work, but when he concentrates he can achieve a lot."

Yes exactly like that!

My son has had a few behavioural issues that I was aware of. His report said something along the lines of ‘he can be a bit immature trying to amuse his friends, if he stops this he can achieve even better things’, so was said really nicely. As parents we all look forward to our child’s report and I think it’s horrid to be so negative

Oh wow that’s absolutely awful for you all especially your son who I am sure is lovey but like many kids that age have the same tendencies ! I think she was being a bit harsh !

Not to say one nice thing about him shame on her !

Thats very sad. Kids like to know they're believed in they do so much better if they are praised etc horrid. Hope you manage to pull them up on it. Can't believe there's not lots of nice things to say about every little person. Sorry you had to read that unprofessional report x

I feel for your son. I know how excited my own son is when it comes to report time, and now that he can read if I'm out when he arrives home (as I was this year) he's already opened it and had a good look through, he'd be gutted if it wasn't positive.
I'm taking it nothing was mentioned at a parents night? I think during my meeting with the teacher I'd be asking for another version of the report to be written before the end of term so that your son has something more productive to look back in in future years. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->