Second baby with IUGR and Low AFI

Jess.Taylor21

mum and expecting #2
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post or not, just looking for some friendly advise really.

Bit about me... My First pregnancy (a long awaited viable baby!) was very stressful and monitored and nothing like i imagined pregnancy to be like. At 20 weeks they discovered that Millie was measuring small and I had below average waters, from this point on I was monitored and scanned every 2-3 weeks until I was finally induced at 36 weeks due to further reduced waters and a drop in percentile. I gave birth to my gorgeous girl of 5lbs 5oz not bad considering she was estimated 4.5lbs!

Hubby and I weren't expecting to have another little miracle what with all the problems we had had trying to conceive Millie, so we decided to just leave it in mother natures hands, and then low and behold we fell pregnant again with baby no2!! Very excited but also anxious as we had so many problem with Millie. Everything up to date has gone smoothly I have been consultant led the whole way through again and have had my normal appointments at 12 & 20 weeks and the booked in a few extra growth scans at 28 weeks and 32 weeks. At the last scan (20 weeks) they were happy with baby and things were looking like I might get a normal natural birth rather than being induced. Unfortunately yesterdays scan (28 weeks) didn't go as well as we had anticipated :( baby is now measuring small (under 10th percentile) so they have now labled me as suspected IUGR again, they also measured my Amniotic Fluids and they are on the lower end of normal too only having 9cms with the deepest pool being 3.8cms. My main concern however was the umbilical artery PI which was only on the 5th percentile and at 0.80. I have no idea what this means but from what i gather from google it means the flow through the umbilical to the baby isn't great. Does anyone have any experience with this that can help or give advice on what this may mean?

I did have a consultants appointment after my scan yesterday but it wasn't my consultant it was a on call registrar which i was a bit annoyed about as my consultant knows me and knows my previous history and worries with my daughter. I felt that the lady i saw yesterday sugar coated things in to sounding like they were fine although her notes suggested something completely different as did the sonographers reaction to such a low Umbilical Artery PI.

Its all very confusing and i'm now left worrying until my next scan at 32 weeks which I feel is a long time in between scans given my history of IUGR and also recurrent miscarriages.

Sorry for SUPER DUPER long post but if you made it to the end, any advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated :D

Jess xx

I would contact your actual consultant and ask for them to see you and explain the details and consequences of yesterday's scan, and also insist on waiting no longer than two weeks for your next scan.

Fingers crossed this bubba can hang on in there for a few more weeks

Hi thanks for your reply :) I managed to get another consultants appointment with my usual consultant but it's not till the 25th November so have a few weeks till then, I just have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach, do you know what I mean? I can still feel little movemts here and there so I know baby is still active but I can't help but worry whether baby is getting enough from me :'( so worried!! Xx

It's understandable, dont be afrad to go to the hospital if you need too. xxx

My daughter Lucy had iugr :/ It's awful Hun. I remember them doing tests on my placenta talking about positive and negative flow and stuff. It was all very frustrating. Are you not on aspirin or heparin injections? Xx

Yes I am on aspirin and I was with my daughter too but doesn't seem to have made any difference :( i just feel at such a loss of what to do and who to turn to! I tried speaking to a midwife yesterday and they just said "it's best to wait and talk to the consultant" not very helpful really as that's 12 days away yet which seems like a bloody eternity!!!

I had no fluid left around Lucy at 22 weeks :( It was all very frightening and I understand that you have so many questions as I was the same. I never got answers as to why this happened with Lucy. I'd had 2 normal pregnancy before her. You have probably seen from ticker that Lucy sadly died on the 9th feb this year :( I had her at 29 weeks and she was the size of a 22 week old baby. She was 430 grams. Not even 1lb. If she would have been abit bigger she would of been here today :( After Lucy I fell pregnant again and missed miscarried at 15 weeks :( I'm now. Just over 7 weeks and I'm on aspirin and fragmin injections. Not sure if it will make a difference. I'll have to wait and see. Keep us updated xxx

I wouldnt panic but i would be concerned enough to want things following up sooner. I dont know anything about the figures you give re; umbilical cord but i do know that where it is very poor there is a significant increase in the risk of stillbirth. Your figures may be within the normal range- i dont know at what stage they become a concern. I didnt reply earlier for fear of scaremongering but then felt i needed to urge you to just check things out x i am sure the docs would have booked you in sooner if they thought it urgent. I have experience of things going wrong in pregnancy and would always say go with your instinct x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->