Second time moms, when are you starting your pre-natal check-ups?

SarahBear

Reaction score
So... You stick a thingie in a cup of pee, get weighed, and at some point take a pre-natal blood panel... Was there anything else that happened early on? If you know you're healthy, is there a point to these things? When do you think you'll start your appointments? I'm 7.5 weeks and thinking about scheduling my first appointment for about 12 weeks. What do you all think?

I was actually only 5 and a half weeks for my first appointment, according to LMP I was 8 weeks though (I knew I couldn't be that far). I only went so early because I knew they'd schedule an early scan seeing as I was a bit unsure on dates due to irregular cycles.

If you had no complications previously and want to wait it out then I don't see a problem with that. I only went early due to my previous losses and needed a progestorone prescription from my obgyn. Only had a scan at 10 weeks though.

I called expecting to schedule around 12 weeks but my OB insisting that I come in 7-8 weeks to complete that blood work and to do a first scan for the heartbeat. My first appt was 7w4d. My next scan is at 12 weeks.

They're doing a scan at 7-8 weeks and 12 weeks??? That seems rather frequent. Did you have previous complications?

Edit: Ah, you said first heart beat and most people do a 12 week scan. They sure do a lot of scans these days. I had none in my last pregnancy and plan the same if there is no indication for one.

I had blood drawn the day after my bfp and then three days later. Ultrasound at 7 weeks. First appointment at 8 weeks.

Next appointment is tomorrow and my NT scan is Monday.

But I have a history of recurring loss + preterm baby, so I am considered high risk. Otherwise I would have been asked to make my first appointment for 8-10 weeks and then my NT scan at 12. :)

I went to see the dr this week and I'm booked in to see the midwife at 9 weeks. Feels right to me and then scan at 12 weeks I guess!

If I get to 10 weeks I'll make my booking :)

I booked in with a midwife of my choice early on both times. They can only take on so many women, so I wanted one I liked. I think I was 5 weeks both times. I moved towns at 19 weeks with Sophie and had a hard time finding one.

Otherwise, if I was guaranteed a midwife in pregnancy and didn't have to hunt for one, I'd probably quite happily wait until 12 weeks...if I were pregnant. I'm not, I'm just a sad old stalker, haha.

I would just call and ask, some drs insist you come in earlier, some have issues of you didn't recieve first trimester care. My sister is head of the OB dept at our hospital and told us this.

I had my nurse's appointment at about 8 weeks, early ultrasound (dating scan) at 9 weeks and first doctor's appointment at 10 weeks. There really was not reason to have early appointments, but I personally was worried about things. It has been 12 years since I was last pregnant, and I've had 3 LEEP procedures since having DS1. So I wanted to make sure everything was okay. I've been more of a worry wort this time around than last lol.

They're doing a scan at 7-8 weeks and 12 weeks??? That seems rather frequent. Did you have previous complications?

Edit: Ah, you said first heart beat and most people do a 12 week scan. They sure do a lot of scans these days. I had none in my last pregnancy and plan the same if there is no indication for one.

I was so surprised to have a scan at 9 weeks. All it did was say lo was measuring 8w4d, when according to LMP I was 9w1d. When I was pregnant with DS1, I didn't have a scan until 20 weeks to find out gender, and then another one at 40w5d, only because I was overdue and they wanted to make sure he had enough fluid, and everything was alright with him.

So far this pregnancy I had u/s at 9 weeks, then I didn't have my gender scan until almost 24 weeks. Just found out yesterday I have another scan in two weeks (I'll be almost 28 weeks), and that one is to check my cervix since I had the 3 LEEPs after DS1 was born. I'll be very surprised if I have another one after this, but wouldn't be opposed to it, lol.

I'm 6 weeks & will have an early scan on 25th August as I have a recent history of very early loss. I'll likely book in with the midwife the following week to do all the standard booking stuff & may of may not have a 12 week scan as well. I saw the dr straight away to get referred because of what's been happening xx

Well, I scheduled my first appointment! It's scheduled for 10 and a half weeks. I didn't want to schedule anything in September because I have to travel for work a lot that month and I have no idea when or where I'm traveling (just know it's 4 places within the state). I've also heard that September is an extremely busy month (I was hired in October last year).

My OB does the confirmation appointment around 4-6 weeks (mine is Monday), then a dating scan between 8 and 12 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->