Security in hospital birthing units?

jocelynmarie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hate that I even have to ask this question, but how good is the security in the birthing units? I'm sure they very from hospital to hospital to a degree, but I just want to make sure that not just anyone is allowed in there.

I have a specific person I do not want in there that I will be telling them about, who has made threats that he will "stake out" the hospital until he finds us. I just want to make damn sure that our security isn't at risk, its the hospital I really want to go to, but maybe I should switch?

Sorry you have problems! :hugs: I believe they are secure wards, except a visiting times. Ours require a swipe card to get in out with those times. I'd phone the hospital and ask - it's a reasonable question. Or maybe ask at your antenatal classes. :) xx

Im sure the security is up to scratch just let the people on the ward know that you dont want that person there and they will probably take extra precautions.

Ours had an intercom to get in to the post natal ward, the labour ward was more secure as you rang the buzzer and someone let you in.

you must tell them your story and give the name of the person. I am sure they have provisions in place for circumstances like this x

I would talk with someone right away and voice your concerns to let them know what is going on. My hospital recently did upgrades with security. You have to be buzzed in through telling them why you are there to get on to the labor floor...not sure about recovery floor as they remodeled and moved it up a floor and I never did visit the recovery floor.

Our delivery suite has an intercom to get in. They have two sets of doors and the first set has to close before the second set can be opened. I think the postnatal ward is the same but i'm not 100% sure.

I would talk to your midwife about it beforehand and she can probably tell you who to inform about it in advance (eg hospital security).

you have to buzz and tell them who you're going to visit at our antenatal ward.. obviously they don't go and check with every new mum each time someone buzzes, but i'm sure if you told them your circumstances there'd be no problems x

I would talk with someone right away and voice your concerns to let them know what is going on. My hospital recently did upgrades with security. You have to be buzzed in through telling them why you are there to get ontop the labor floor...not sure about recovery floor as they remodeled and moved it up a floor and I never did visit the recovery floor.

I JUST scheduled a tour for Saturday, so I plan on checking it all out personally and asking a ton of questions.

if you warn the staff they will definately look out for you. Our unit has a video intercom on the wall, cctv and the babies wear a tag with an electronic chip in it that would trigger security barriers on the doors xxx

I would talk with someone right away and voice your concerns to let them know what is going on. My hospital recently did upgrades with security. You have to be buzzed in through telling them why you are there to get ontop the labor floor...not sure about recovery floor as they remodeled and moved it up a floor and I never did visit the recovery floor.

I JUST scheduled a tour for Saturday, so I plan on checking it all out personally and asking a ton of questions.

:thumbup:

our hospital has an intercom system and u have to say who u r and who u r visiting before they'll let u in. They also put a security tag type hospital bracelet on the babys leg so if the baby was taken out the doors alarms go off. Kind of like a shop security barrier.

I would tell hospital staff about specific people u dont want visiting maybe give a description. They dont just allow anyone to walk in, some hospitals have quite strict rules on visiting post-natal wards for the sake of other new mums who need peace and rest, mums with babies in scbu and other reasons that dont bare thinking about. I think its 2 to a bed in our hospital, partners are allowed to visit earlier than other visitiors and children are allowed for an hour. :hugs: to u, such a position to be in, hopefully your unwanted visitor will be kept at bay. If this person did make it into the ward all u have to do is call and the person would be removed - with force if need be by some pretty burly hospital security guards xx

Our one has a intercom you need to press, the doors are always locked. Even when i was a in patient with a drip hanging out my arm a "dad" who was walking out the door shut the door quickly as he wouldn't let me in. so yep, security is pretty tight. X

I have to say it was appauling at the hospital i was in. I kid you not i was shocked to see the door of both wards held open with a chair????? This was right next to a set of lifts that would lead you outside!!! Shocking.
The hospital i was in with my other children however had a tagging system and you couldnt have left with a baby it was that secure. This time the hospital i was in people just buzzed and were NEVER asked who they were here to see!!! I was also re-admitted with my baby and had to ask 3 times to have my baby tagged! [ i had to have her under the lights cause of jaundice]

At the birthing centre I am going to, you have to buzz in like on the labour ward. If there's someone you really don't want to see, speak to the people at the birthing centre to let them know so they know not to let in said person. Would said person conceivably lie about who they are to get let in? If so, I would suggest that with visitors who you do welcome, make sure they telephone you or your other half so you know exactly what time they will arrive and so on.

our hospital has an intercom system and u have to say who u r and who u r visiting before they'll let u in. They also put a security tag type hospital bracelet on the babys leg so if the baby was taken out the doors alarms go off. Kind of like a shop security barrier.

This is the same for our hospital (in Norfolk)

Yes LondonAngel I was thinking what if this person just lies about who they are. I think it'll be important that you know exactly who is coming and when and keep this to yourself and close family so you'll know not to let 'Uncle Todd' in or whoever they might pretend to be.

Oh my god!!! Id be so scared. please tell all the midwifes and give them a photo of him!

you have to buzz an intercom on our ward in rotherham and they just let the people in they dont confirm with the mums first who is hear which in your case may not work out favourably.
Have you not thought about reporting this person to the police as at the end of the day they are threatening you and its obvs you are scared you shouldnt need to be scared of anyone at such a magical moment in your life. The police could put some sort of bail conditions on them and then they would not be alloud near you or baby what concerns me is that even if this person does get onto your ward then it takes a while for security to get there at rotherham hospital and i kid you not there is about 5 security officers and 4 cctv cameras for the whole hospital which isnt the smallest hospital :-/
i dont mean to worry you but personally i would be in touch wit police xx

Theyre generally very good. You have to buzz to get into the wards (neonatal, postnatal, NICU, labour and delivery) and the whole hospital is locked up at night so you have to buzz to get into there too.

my delivery ward had a buzzer before you could gain access. also the baby had an electronic tag so if he was taken out of our ward then the whole place would go on lock down with the entrance doors locking so no one could get in or out

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->