Seeing nurse tomorrow at 8+5, any chance we could hear the heartbeat?

juhnayrae

Reaction score
Is it worth asking to see if she can use the doppler to check baby's heartbeat? We have the option of doing a dating scan, but since we did fertility treatments we are very certain of when everything happened. So we're going to opt out of the scan.

I'd still love to hear the heartbeat though, just for reassurance. I'm starting to feel a little panicky and anxious that we might have a missed miscarriage and just not know it yet. I have no reason to believe that we are, just normal early pregnancy nerves! When was the earliest you were able to hear baby's heartbeat on the doppler?

My doctor won't even attempt to use a Doppler until second Tri because she knows it doesn't always work and isn't willing to freak out any of her patients. At 14 weeks or later, they'll bring that Doppler into the room. Your doctor might be different, but mine probably wouldn't even entertain the idea and would just offer an ultrasound for reassurance (they have one in office)

If your doctor might be willing to try it, I think you just need to decide if it would freak you out if they tried and couldn't get a heartbeat this early. I know I would not sleep until I saw my healthy baby at that point, so it wouldn't be worth the risk for me to try.

It's highly unlikely at that stage that she would even try. Many in the UK won't attempt via doppler until at least 16 weeks as the chances of missing it are very high. If you had a scan you would see and hear it though.

As the other ladies have said, most midwives are quite reluctant to get the Doppler out until 16+ weeks just because baby is so small it's easy to miss it which of course can cause a lot of worry.

I think I'd be inclined to take the scan though :)

I'd take the scan, if not for anything more then reassurance! I doubt a dipole can pick anything up at 8-9 weeks darlin

My mw tried the doppler at 12 weeks but gave me lots of warning that it often doesn't work this early, didn't hear anything. Finally heard hb at 16 weeks. They probably won't try because to many women freak out.

I'd go for the scan, as you will be able to see the heart beating.
I saw it at 6 weeks & again yesterday at 8+2. It's very reassuring
Xx

Thanks for the thoughts! Unfortunately, I didn't see any of these until after our appointment. She was actually willing to, but I told her not to bother. We decided to go for the scan tomorrow. I was hesitant just because of some information I've read on scans not being as safe as they make them out to be :/ We just want to avoid any scan that might not be absolutely necessary, but for peace of mind we're just going to get in there tomorrow and take a look.

Thanks again! :)

You don't have to feel bad about getting a scan. Most scientific evidence has shown that they're actually quite safe. The FDA currently recommends against extra ultrasounds for fun, because they don't know what affects they could have (even though most studies have pointed to none), just to be safe. That seems to be how they feel about most medicines, herbs, etc during pregnancy. Anyway, you'll be fine with just a dating scan, 20 week scan and possible growth scan if you need it. I was high risk with my son and it seemed like I needed a million ultrasounds, and he's just fine!

It went well! Baby is measuring right on time :) Had a nice strong heartbeat of 164, we were so relieved and super excited! :happydance: It was so fun to have my daughter there as well, she had fun watching the baby move around on the screen. It was a relief to see there was only one too, lol! :haha: (twins run on both sides of the family!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->