Seriously reconsidering a VBAC

lilaries0411

Pregnant- Due 04/16/11
Reaction score
I just got back from a doctors appointment and found out that the baby weights about 8lbs right now and the doctor is thinking it may be at least another week before I go into labor and by then she will probably weight 8.5-9lbs... Im not sure I want to push out a 9lbs baby. Im seriously freaking out and reconsidering having a VBAC.. Has anyone else had a vaginal birth with a baby that big and it turned out okay?

Everyone is so concerned with 'big babies'...it's not the weight that makes it difficult to birth a baby, it's the size of the head! There are plenty of 7lb babies with a large head circumferences which are more damaging on the way out than a 10 pounder!
8.5lb isn't that big! Babies are generally getting bigger as mothers are better nourished. I wouldnt ever chose a C-section unless absolutely necessary.

I was told my baby was going to be at least 10lbs. He was 6lbs 6oz. My SIL was carrying a 9lber. Baby was 7lb 2oz. It's guess work and it is hugely inaccurate. also baby size has little to do with difficulty in labour. In fact many mums swear that the bigger ones are easier as they just pop. x

I agree with Jessica above...it's not the weight but the head size. My daughter was 8.3 and I have to tell you I think the majority of that was her head and cheeks...LOL. Her head was (and still is) in the 95th percentile. Her her head and cheeks were what made delivery difficult, not her weight. In her case I pushed for 2.5 hours then they had to use a vacuum. But thinking back, i don't take it back. I would never want a c-section unless I HAD to. Give it a try, you never know! This baby's head is measuring very big again (and they said he weighed 7.5 at 36 week scan). I'm still all for the vaginal birth though...just trying to go into labor a week or two early ;) Good luck and don't doubt your abilities!!

Everyone is so concerned with 'big babies'...it's not the weight that makes it difficult to birth a baby, it's the size of the head! There are plenty of 7lb babies with a large head circumferences which are more damaging on the way out than a 10 pounder!
8.5lb isn't that big! Babies are generally getting bigger as mothers are better nourished. I wouldnt ever chose a C-section unless absolutely necessary.

This makes a lot of sense. I'm hoping they were off on what they guessed for her weight. I just terrified of going through hours and hours of labor for it just to end in a C-Section because she was to big to get out. I think I'm going to try and tough it out and see what happens. I'm just so scared now.My twins were born at 36+6 and weighted 6lbs5oz and 4lbs14oz. so I thought that with there only being one she would be right around 7lbs at 37 weeks but now that I know she already weighs 8lbs and is just getting bigger I dont think I can do this. :nope: lol

I wasn't predicted a big baby (he was meant to be around 6lb apparently but was 7.5lb) but just from my two births, I would go with a VBAC if I were you, you won't regret it. The only regret I have is that I couldn't have the same experience with my daughter (silly, I know, but sometimes I feel guilty).

Aaron was almost 8 pounds with a 12.5cm. head and I only pushed less than 10 minutes and he was out right away. I ripped, but I didnt feel it. It's the stitching up that hurts.

If you want it, you will do great:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"