Sesame seeds Can anyone tell me if this is true please?!!!!!

Chocciebutton

Reaction score
I am now just over 16 weeks pregnant and have tried to eat a little more healthy in the last few weeks ......lots of fresh fruit etc....
I have been eating those sesame snap bars....the sesame seeds that are in a little bar set in like syrup. Anyway I was going through the checkout today in the supermarket and the lady said I shouldnt be eating them while pregnant as they are used to cause abortion?? Anyway I didnt take too much notice and ate 2 while I was waiting for the taxi as I was starving and when I got homeI decided to google it out of interest and it does seem to come up with ...yes it is used to cause miscarriages!!!! Now I am worrying over the slightest thing at the oment and now I am really worried! Has anyone else eaten these or know if this is true?

No, googled it and seemingly its an old Indian wives tale. x

I have never heard of this. Maybe just eat less of it? I do not see it on the American Pregnancy Association's list of foods to avoid while pregnant. You'd think it would be with caffeine and such.

I really wouldn't worry.

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/foodstoavoid.html

mumoffive.....thats the conclusion I came up with! But it has put me off eating them a little now....normally I wouldnt have eaten 2 bars but I was starving and hadnt had time for a proper lunch so had them and some fruit! I dont worry to much about my eating while pregnant, I do try and eat healthily but it was just the fact that this woman pointed it out!

Lol I was addicted to sesame seeds on bread and Ryvita in First tri. I heard the same thing and phoned my midwife in a blind panic. Her response (and I quote) "What total codswallop!" Lol I don't think she was overly concerned ... Check with your GP or midwife if it puts your mind at ease but I personally wouldn't worry hun X

I've never heard that, and if it were to have that kind of effect on a pregnancy, I'm fairly certain it would be on the food standards agency list of banned foods in pregnancy, we'd all get told to avoid it with all the other stuff we get told during our booking in appointments and there would have to have some kind of warning on the box about not eating during pregnancy.
X

I've never heard that, and if it were to have that kind of effect on a pregnancy, I'm fairly certain it would be on the food standards agency list of banned foods in pregnancy, we'd all get told to avoid it with all the other stuff we get told during our booking in appointments and there would have to have some kind of warning on the box about not eating during pregnancy.
X

ceecee2010...lol I was debating phoning my midwife up, have only just seen her this morning, but had visions she might say similar lol

They are so yummy! Luckily it seems it's fine. Some people ay, scaremongering.

oooh youve scared me now! my MIl made us a thai green curry thing the other night and served it with chicken on the side which had sememe seeds covered on the chicken! and i was sick it all up half way through the meal! i went back after as I felt fine after eating it and after having the other half i was sick again!!!

im sure it wasnt the seeds though! probs bean not liking the flavours in the curry lol! il have a looky online now xx

https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/pregnancy_eat_003744.htm

This site suggests to eat them to get calcium hun so dont worry! if you are worried just avoud them from now on :D xx

i have them every day.... Theyre my little snack for when i'm feeling peaky at work and need something to tide me over!

Thanks ...im not going to worry about it anymore, I have got to try and stop worrying so much I was never ever like this with my 15 year old and 6 year old, I dont know if I am worrying more as I am older...39 in April,I dont know!

I've been eating sesame bagels quite a lot with no ill effects and I've certainly not seen any advice against eating them. I haven't seen those little bar things for ages.....thought they'd stopped making them....where did you find them? :haha:

Sooz they were in waitrose....I wouldnt shop there through choice, its justthat I live rural and its the only bloomin supermarket, tesco and asda dont deliver here, they drive through here though to get to everywhere else!!!!!!

Sooz they were in waitrose....I wouldnt shop there through choice, its justthat I live rural and its the only bloomin supermarket, tesco and asda dont deliver here, they drive through here though to get to everywhere else!!!!!!

Cheers.....typically we don't have a conveniently local Waitrose. :dohh: :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->