Sesame Seeds during pregnancy?!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by andabby, Jan 30, 2011.

1. andabby

andabby Member

I was looking at things you can't eat while pregnant and I read that Sesame Seeds can cause a miscarriage. I'm freaking out a little bit because I ate Sesame Chicken last night and there was A LOT of Sesame Seeds on it. I think I've eaten hamburgers with them on the buns at least 20 times since being pregnant.

Has anyone done the same and turned out fine? I'm a mess... I need some sort of comfort. :sad1:

2. Bec27

Bec27 Proud mummy of Josh& Jake

Ok, this post made me freak out because I had some prawn sesame toasts this week and had never heard to avoid sesame seeds before. I looked into it online and it says the belief that they can cause miscarriage is an old wives tale. However, it also says most medical practitioners recommend avoiding them in the first tri. I am not so worried. It's not considered a high risk food likes some others- pate or mould ripened cheese for example. My mum also reminded me that these guidelines are relatively modern, she ate Brie throughout her pregnancy with me and I turned out fine! I would relax and not worry about this anymore. X

3. emily86

emily86 mum to 2

I really wouldn't worry to much, I have never heard this before, and i ate them throughout my first preg, my sons 6 this year. Remember stress is also not good for baby so try to not worry about what you have already eaten and just relax.
    You can avoid them from now on x

4. andabby

andabby Member

That's very reassuring. I feel better now. It's so hard to not stress out at this point haha. The internet has become my enemy. I think I'm going to stop googling things from now on. Thanks ladies.

5. Sherley

Sherley One of each!

Hummous is recommended in my NHS pregnancy book as a healthy snack, and that has sesame paste in it....

6. andabby

andabby Member

I'm just going to stay away from them just in case... Better safe than sorry.