Settling your baby

Bec L

Proud mum to 2 girls/1boy
Reaction score
I just wondered how you all settle your babies after feeds etc? Usually in the day straight after a feed I wind Poppy and then we go out in the car or her pram so she goes off to sleep. But when we are at home I find it really hard to get her to settle.

At night I feed her in the nursery in the nurring chair, then take her through to our room to put her in her moses basket. She is usually flat out after her feed but as soon as I put her down her eyes are wide open and she is totally awake. More often than not she starts to hiccup, even when she's been winded.

We have tried warming her bed with a hot water bottle and leaving something of mine in the basket but they don't seem to work. At night I can spend 20 minutes feeding her and over an hour settling her down.

I also find that her most awake period of the day is just after we have tried to put her down for the night ie from 7 till 10.30pm.

Does anyone have any tips?
(She is 6 weeks old but was 6 weeks premature.)

swaddling? singing? and shhhhing lol? other than that seems like you have tried alot.

BTW summer used to love the vacuum!

zane is exactly the same hes awful he can be so tired but scream the house down if we put him in his basket, at night the only way i can get him to sleep is puttin him in bed with me n huggin him on his side hes not keen on sleepin on his back unless hes very tired.

hes been a pain in the ass past few days n wouldnt have a nap today even a walk didnt help so he was up from 9am till 3 pm when he finaly went to sleep during a feed so i left him to it.

i have no tips for u sorry but good luck

awww so really she has just been born if shes 6 weeks old but was 6 weeks early this is just a typical newborn really eventually she will start sleeping my little ones active awake time was 12pm till 6am for the first 3 weeks try changing her awake time to the day it worked for us

I've only ever been able to settle Jack by rocking him - something I regret now as he is getting sooo heavy!!!:dohh:

I have always just swaddled Savannah and put her in her bed awake of a night time, she puts herself to sleep now.

I usually tap max's butt until hes out , all he needs is full tummy, dummy in mouth and his blankie and hes out like a light ....................until i move lol

I just rock her to sleep or once she's in her moses basket,gently scratch her tummy...she's not hard to put to sleep.

Thanks everyone. Had an awful night with her last night - she would not settle after any of her feeds. Tried a dummy, the hairdryer, music, but she would just not sleep!! Fingers crossed tonight will be better.

Littlelady - technically yes, she has just been born! I wasn't sure whether to make 'allowances' for that or not.

when maddi used to wake up at night i used to wind her and give her a cuddle then she would go back down. in the day now we have an upright cuddle so she's not windy and i rock and shhh too :)

I swaddle salim and then pat his bum. Only takes him a few minutes to drift off. When we first came out of hospital the midwife told me that if he will never settle on a night go downstairs and put the tumble dryer on or the tv low, she said some babies dont like everything quiet. On a night I have the tv on in our room ever so low and he sleeps from 11 until 6 every night.

During the day he usually goes to sleep to the sound of the hoover. Ive seen me and my sister sit in the living room with the hoover just standing on lol when everything else fails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->