• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

severe heartburn..help!!! :(

K

KaeRit21

hey laydees...needing a lil advice, had severe heartburn thats now lasted a couple of days, nothings shifting it and its driving me demented. ive tried the milk, the gaviscon and the tablet thingys.
its worse when i lie down so sleeping is a no go...

does anyone have any recommendations?? no matter how weird, im willing to try ANYTHING!!

xxx

When nothing else works for me, I eat a bit of raw or pickled ginger. Doesn't take much, just a slice or two.

thank you i shall try it out!!
i was expecting the heartburn thing...but this is driving me mad!

xxx

I'm trying to handle this too ;)

I have to admit I didn't expect it to be quite so bad.
Is it just a case of logistics and the stomach getting squished?

Part of it is your stomach being pushed up and part of it is the relaxin running through your system. It relaxes all the soft muscles in your body. This means uterus, intestines, bladder, stomach and esophagus. The little flap at the top of the stomach that works to keep stuff from working back up your throat is all loose and relaxed so while the stomach is being pushed up, stomach acid is being pushed up the esophagus like toothpaste in a tube.

The only way I can keep it in check is to take a Pepcid every day then TUMS as I need it. If I'm still having problems and have taken my limit of meds then I eat the ginger. I keep it on hand anyway because I'm a big sushi eater. :p That usually does the trick for me.

I have had the problem quite badly last week. I have quit orange juice and coffee. I started to eat small meals 5 times, last meal being around 18.00 latest. Also last meal is usually some diary product, like cottage cheese with baked potatoes or a bowl of oatmeal. I also eat about 2 pots of yoghurt per day. This seems working so far, and I haven't had an "attack" yet.

Hi

Totally sympathise, I've had heartburn since about week 15!!! I try to drink lots of water and take Gaviscon (the mint tablet ones are bearable) when needed. Apparently a GP can prescribe something stronger but my MW said they're kind of reluctant to do it.....! Someone also told me about soda water because I think similar ingredient to Gaviscon so I go through about a bottle of that a day. I think its one of those things we just have to put up with but I know what you mean because some nights I've woken up and its been so bad I feel like I will be sick.

I had heartburn tablets when i was pregnant with Lana-rose. Rennie medicine is suitable for pregnant women and it saved my life...i had so much heartburn i couldnt eat and it made me sick i really sympathise with you all..

But i will tell you something my heartburn was unbelievably bad and my daughter was born with TONS of hair!!! So the old wives tail could be true ...

So glad its not just me, the last week I have been up most nights with horrendous heartburn and its so bad I am actually being slightly sick with it! I am going through gaviscon and drinking milk but its awful.....

I think this is one of the worst parts of pregnancy especially as it always seems to be worse on a night - i use gaviscon doesnt help great but aint tried anything else!x:hugs:

I got to the point where I was regually throwing up stimach acid, theMW said it sounded like I wasn't eating enough as this can make it even worse, her advice was to eat little and often and sure enough it seems to be helping.

Hi i find cheese is an instant fix although i dont know if it makes it worse long term, also mini milk ice lollies and horlics drink before i go to bed.

OOOOOOOOO I get hearburn but mostly in my throat..! its terrible makes me soo ill, also sometimes i get it in my throat and heart...its terrible!! i just want to cry..i eat gavison like no tomorrow...and the tablets make me heaveeeee! ooooowwwwwwwww

Go to your docs and ask to be prescribed Ranitidine it works a treat, i can actually go to bed now! Altho the side effect for me is sickness not much but as i suffer from morning sickness anyway this wasnt an issue! The aim of the medication is to completely stop the acid. :hugs:

Oooh dearest, me too i totally sympathise!!

I have gone through 2 large bottles of Gaviscon with this pregnancy!! But iv read that if you take too much of it, it can have the reverse effect and actually make it worse than in was in the first place!! I have been getting bad bouts of it just before bedtime (i must admit though, i dont TOTALLY refrain from eating later at night and no chocccies/fatty foods). But now i have been getting it more or less every hour. Im just caning the water at work as that seems to help slightly and then save the Gaviscon abuse til i get home and im in bed.

Oooooooooooohhhhhhh Ranitidine .... im gonna ask about that at my next midwife appointment on Monday! Cheers hun!

I eat a couple stalks of celery before bed and it works great for me. And I sleep on my left side... if I turn to my right side, even for a moment, the heartburn hits right away and I have to turn over.

I've also found having a small healthy meal before bed works too. I think if I go to bed with an empty stomach, the acids become real painful.

Hi, I posted on here about the same problem last week, it got so bad, I went to see consultant to ask to be induced as I was only getting 25-30 mins sleep at a time.

She said no to induction, but prescribed those Ranitidine. They are the ONLY thing that has worked for me, go to your doc or hospital consultant and ask for them. They are brilliant!!
Now I am eating loads of rubbish and drinking loads of pop just because I can lololol

Ranitidine like someone said. My docs prescribed it for me when nothing was working. It really is a life saver - still on it now a week after giving birth albeit only one a day now

I swear the first time I took it half our later it was instant relief. My midwife was saying today that they now pretty much prescribe it for anyone who is suffering now as its so affective.

Dont suffer hun - go get some.

you ladies are livesavers!!!!! thank u for all suggestions and the mention of the tablets...i could sob knowing theres an answer!!!

in the past two days, av gone through 2 pints of milk, a packet of gaviscon cool tablets and although the bottle gives me the heave am half done with that too. its getting to the stage i dont wanna eat coz it makes it worse but its there ALL THE TIME. it never goes...and the minute i go to bed its like i can feel it right up in my throat. :(:(. phoning docs first thing tomorrow, i cant deal with it anymore!!

xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"