severe spd - vaginal birth?

mons75

Reaction score
Has anyone had severe spd and not been able to do a vaginal birth? I have a consultant appt coming up so havent discussed it yet with my health ppl.

I have it so bad I wake up everytime I move in bed, can hardly turn over and the pubic bone clicks and grates. You can hear the clicking sound. Also can't walk more than very very short distance.

I did preg yoga before but now I'm not able to do it at all for the pain.

Will it still be poss to give vaginal birth? I fear it will stck with me for years as it did my friend...

:flower:

I get same thing hun, and my midwife knows about it, so im persuming i can still have a normal vaginal birth :shrug:

Do you have it in your pubic bone as well? I cant lift my legs at all, it hurts too bad... How the .... is this going to work I wonder...

Sorry you are in pain too:flower:

they will encourage you give birth virginally as havin spd and then a section you will be in agony

they will encourage you give birth virginally as havin spd and then a section you will be in agony

Oh really? I would have thought the vaginal birth would aggrivate it even more if its in the pubic bone? I understand that the C section involves a lot of pain after but I thought maybe its better for the pelvic construction? Hmmm... Not looking forward to either...:flower:

I suffer very bad and am on crutches. Ive had 2 other children vaginally and I must say that after the birth within hours I felt an improvement with my SPD

Yea mines in my pubic bone aswell... after reading leicesterlass comment, i feel happier now :) x

My midwife and physio both say vaginal birth will be best, possibly on my side or knees, I was advised to have an epidural which would mean on my side is one of my only options.

I really cannot express to you just how better I felt afterwards. Even DH commented I could move/walk much better afterwards

I really cannot express to you just how better I felt afterwards. Even DH commented I could move/walk much better afterwards

Oh really?! thats great! Did you feel it dissappeared and the birth didnt make it worse? Did you have a small/ normal size baby?:flower:

I have SPD and am on crutches.

I have seen my consultant any times and an anethatist (sp) once my consultant has advised she is happy for me to give birth naturally how I feel most comfortable BUT the anethatist wants me to have an epidural and c section.

I am going to consider the c section and epidural but am going to see how I go naturally first but as a rule I only have small babies so this makes giving birth easier.

I advise you measure your own 'window of pain' how far you can open your legs with out being in agony as I have read that if you have an epidural you will not be able to feel the SPD pain and you may cause more damage to the muscle.

xx

I have seen my consultant any times and an anethatist (sp) once my consultant has advised she is happy for me to give birth naturally how I feel most comfortable BUT the anethatist wants me to have an epidural and c section.

I am going to consider the c section and epidural but am going to see how I go naturally first but as a rule I only have small babies so this makes giving birth easier.

I advise you measure your own 'window of pain' how far you can open your legs with out being in agony as I have read that if you have an epidural you will not be able to feel the SPD pain and you may cause more damage to the muscle.

xx

Thanks for replying, I have a few questions:

I was surprised that the anesthetist had a say in this thought they only handle the injection like a guy who changes tyres on a race car? Confused... What was the reasons he/she gave you for prefering a section??

I will have a big one, thinking that would affect the outcome somewhat in terms of potential pelvic damage... did they mention size of baby?:flower::flower:

xx

Thanks for replying, I have a few questions:

I was surprised that the anesthetist had a say in this thought they only handle the injection like a guy who changes tyres on a race car? Confused... What was the reasons he/she gave you for prefering a section??

I will have a big one, thinking that would affect the outcome somewhat in terms of potential pelvic damage... did they mention size of baby?:flower::flower:

I had to see them as I am a 'larger lady' and she was very adamant that I had the epidural early in labour 'as it would make it easier for them if I had to have one later in the later stages' and she told me to consider the c section due to my mobility and the fact I 'will be so exhusted in labour that my body might not be able to handle it'

I did find her very negative and dismissive of the fact I already have 2 daughters after horrific labours where I had no pain relief, where as my consultant is the opposite.

I think the issue with the weight is sometimes smaller babies are easier to 'pop out' so to speak and the more the baby weights the heavier the weight on your pelvis and you will be in more pain too

If they have reason to think that any damage will be dine, like your pelvis splitting, during delivery, they will measure everything through a scan before advising you to have a vaginal delivery.

Recovering from a c-section after having SPD is much more difficult than having a recovery from a c-section without SPD or recovering from a vaginal birth with SPD. It is unlikely that you'd do any damage to any muscles or ligaments during a vaginal birth, but you could strain them... meaning that you would 'pull a muscle' so to speak. Your doctor or midwife will assess how far you will be able to open your legs and will avoid pushing them farther than that.

It is really too early to say for sure at this point, but if I were you, I would not opt for a c-section unless the doctors had reason to believe that I'd do permanent damage to my hips or pelvis. And like I said, if they have reason to believe that you will, they will check through scans.

Good luck! x

Had spd with my first and now have it this time round, I had a vaginal birth and planning to this time. To be honest I don't even remember the pain of the spd when I was in labour! I was in all sorts of positions too. It went pretty much straight after delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->