Sewing Machine ?

BeesBella

Mama of 1 and expecting number 2 in July 2019
Reaction score
Hello
I was wondering if anyone can help me please. I am looking to buy a sewing machine and was wondering if anyone can help me choose one that isn't too expensive please.
I am looking at this one - https://www.very.co.uk/jmb-70-watt-...rail=4739&prdToken=/p/prod6045630-sku10090140

Is that any good for a beginner ?

Thanks for any help !

It's not one of the well known or loved brands (Singer, Brother) but looks brilliant for the price. Main thing is that there are a good range of stitches, it's quiet and you can extend the working area!

Ive got a singer which is fab...tescos had it on offer for £70 last yr.

I would go to a sewing machine shop, sometimes they gt good preowned ones.

Check the classifieds in your local newspaper. Aslong as you know the brand you can get reviews online and just make sure you only buy one that has the box and manual with it.

I'm not sure if you've bought one yet but I would personally advise a brand called Silver (some of their models are called by the brand Silver Viscount as well), although like most brands they do get their stuff made in China these days; they do thoroughly check every machine before they sell it to suppliers or you. They are a teeny British company; their machines are lovely to use but built like a tank; so even thick materials will not be any problem for these machines. I have tried every single well known brand of sewing machine at some point and my last one; a brother (which I have been told are identical to Singers and are made in the same factories) caused me real anxiety as the needle kept shattering and it just completely messed up. I saw these silver brand machines on one of the shopping channels and thought it was hype, but no it isn't. I made cushion covers for the first time ever yesterday; I have put zips in things before but all the other machines I have tried really struggle to sew zips; even with a fat chunky needle size so I was worried it would be the same. It took me three minutes to sew the zips in and I did it in one go, with no pre-basting it was really that easy. In some ways they are a bit more expensive than other machines comparing with the amount of stitches and features you get but IMHO better a sturdy sewing machine that does a few things well; than a flimsy one with loads of stitches that is just a nightmare to use and you can't even get all those stitches to work right (on my previous brother the tension just was never right on all the pretty stitches; so they were totally useless). I've been sewing for 10 years; so if you need any help, let me know. This company has the best prices on the Silver machines and I got mine from there.

https://www.sewingmachinediscount.co.uk/sewing-machines/silver-viscount/62.htm

xx

hey summer rain, which machine/model would you recommend? im a beginner and looking into getting one.

Ah Ive just posted a thread asking this exact question! will be checking it out.

I was just about to post and ask about this too :) I was thinking of getting one for Christmas and don't want to spend too much but also there is no point getting a really cheap one if I plan to use it a lot !I am going to have a look at the silver ones.

Oops sorry didn't see this thread again after I posted; mine is the Silver 2021, it doesn't have as many stitches as some but is a good all rounder, 1 step buttonholes, and it is completely foolproof-I've had mine 8 or 9 months now and sewn various types and thicknesses of fabric with it and its been a breeze xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->