Sex after plug gone.....

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Dukechick, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Dukechick

Dukechick Wife & proud Mom of 2

.... is is safe??

I had a sweep done last Wedesday, and I've been losing my plug for the last few days. I had traces of blood in it, so I'm thinking that may have been my bloody show...... other than those, there's been no other signs of baby.

I'm wanting to have sex to see if that will help out!!! Can I can I can I??

2. RedString

RedString Well-Known Member

i think so. so long as your waters haven't gone you should be okay.

3. keljt1127

keljt1127 Well-Known Member

This is O/T of your post lol but you said you had a sweep last wed?
    I am thinking about asking tomorrow if I can get sweep at 39 weeks, did you have a medical reason or did u just ask?

4. Dukechick

Dukechick Wife & proud Mom of 2

I think it all depends on your doctor, and where you live. I was 38+6 when I had it done, and someone I know needs to wait until she's 41 weeks?..... Funny, because I was going to ask my doctor for a sweep just for fun, and before I even asked, she asked me if I wanted one :) I'm going to ask for another one this Wednesday if I haven't had my baby yet. I had 2 sweeps with my son, and neither worked.... I was induced at 41 weeks...

5. RedString

i'll send labour inducing thoughts to the both of you, ;) they've apparently worked at least once before, :haha:

6. we can't wait

we can't wait Mom of 4

I've heard it both ways-- that sex afterwards is a no-no & that it's fine. :wacko: I told my doctor on Friday that I'd lost my plug and she didn't mention not having sex. I would think that if it were threatening that she would have told us not to have intercourse? I googled it last week as well, and I found on some other forums that doctors had still told women to DTD to help induce, knowing they'd lost their plug. So, I'm not sure-- I'd think it's probably fine, but if you are concerned, maybe wait for the green light from your doctor. It's up to you.
    I do know, though, that after your waters have gone you should not DTD at risk of getting an infection! Good luck! :flow:

7. mummysarah

mummysarah Well-Known Member

:blush:I hate to lower the tone, and have no idea if sex is ok, but swallowing it works in exactly the same way apparantly!:haha:

8. First.timer

First.timer Dylans Mummy

9. Brieanna

Brieanna Well-Known Member

I too have heard both that it was good to do because it speeds up labor and that it was bad to do because the mucus plug protects the cervix and such from contamination and bacteria so if that is gone then you could get an infection. Sorry I'm not much help.

mummysarah- Yeah, my OH won't let me forget that if I am feeling too uncomfortable to "do it" that he heard that swallowing is just as good, if not better. Of all the things for him to read and pay attention to in my pregnancy, haha!

Hopefully you get a more informed answer from someone. :)

10. First.timer

First.timer Dylans Mummy

my fob remembers that one clearly as well! funny this selective memory thing isnt it.

11. leahsbabybump

leahsbabybump Mummy to 3

me an OH was thinking about dtd to get things going but my plug is continuously breaking away so we decided against it but only for the fact that we would both be totally grossed out beyond repair if he pulled his willy out and it was covered in bright green mucus :[email protected] (sorry tmi)
    i think it is totally safe hough i only got told not to have sex once your waters have broken or if they are leeking due to risk of infection xx

12. Laws2008

Laws2008 Well-Known Member

I was told that sex is ok until your plug starts to come away because then the baby is open to infection and only to have sex before the plug starts to come away if you're looking at inducing your own labour.

13. Debbie_23

Debbie_23 Mummy of two lovely boys

I had a sweep on thursday and my midwife pulled away some of my plug while she was doing the sweep, and she actually recommended we dtd that night to help things along, we didnt cause was bit tender after the sweep but i am assuming that ssince she recommended it then its fine. Just think its once your waters have gone its a no no.

14. RedString

oh god, must keep OH off this forum at all costs, :rofl: i'd never hear the end of it.

15. Mother of 4

Mother of 4 Mom to 5 & pregnant

It should be just fine as long as your waters are still intact. I have sex right up until I have the baby and have never had any issues :)